Upset

Lisy

Banned
I have just been to my doctors and I explained the exante diet to him and he is so against it and told me not to do it. I have had depression and he said it could make it worse. But he is dead against vlcds for various reasons and said they are hard to stick to. Which is true. So he suggested SW. I'm upset as I have a whole months supply which will go to waste. But I know if I have to be honest with myself I couldn't stickwith this diet 100% all the way to goal. This diet is too extreme for me. Good luck to everyone. I won't be on here anymore.

Hi,

Sounds like you doctors isn't the most caring one around. My was fine. I think you do have to be comfortable and in a 'good place' when starting something like this.

Which solution where you going for? The Total Solution? Why not try the Simple or Work one first?

Cheers
Al

I think it really depends on your doctor - mine was really encouraging because he said in the long term, obesity was much worse for my health than restricting my calories for a few months.

He did suggest that I carry out a maintenance plan this time though!

I suffer with depression, and I have to say that after 2 weeks on Exante, mine got a lot worse, to the point that I could no longer think straight at all. I have had to have my meds increased now.

I'm back on WW now, and I have gained a couple of pounds back, but it's really not worth risking your health over.

I think Exante is a great diet, but you do need to be emotionally stable to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with you Rattybabe. I have suffered with severe depression since the age of 16 with suicidal thoughts and also on medications which my doctor was worried about. He was worried it would push me over the edge. But exante does say you shouldn't do TS or WS if on prescription meds and like a fool I ignored the advice. I'm thinking of joining WW as I have done it before. It does work. But it's slow compared to exante. Good luck Rattybabe x

Id be tempted to speak to another doctor and to Exante. A lot of doctors are very anti VLCDs, some point blank refuse to sign peoples CD forms for no other reason than they dont like them. It sounds as if hes just dead against them for no good reason and might be using your depression as an excuse.

Id be tempted to even go back and ask him if you didnt suffer from depression if hed be saying the same.

I could just ignore doctors advice and do WS. I am very overweight. I weigh 18 stone and only 5'2" which is badbHe is a new doctor. Part of my depression is because I'm very overweight. Morbidly obese. I just have my heart set on this diet. And don't want to waste my packs. After all some doctors agree to let their patients do the diet. I think I will try WS maybe. My depression is well under control now. So I feel I will be ok.

I think Exante is a great diet, but you do need to be emotionally stable to do it.

Think this is very true, and that is why there is a warning on the website. This diet can send a stable person wonky some days, let alone a depressed one. Not good!

Id be tempted to speak to another doctor and to Exante. A lot of doctors are very anti VLCDs, some point blank refuse to sign peoples CD forms for no other reason than they dont like them. It sounds as if hes just dead against them for no good reason and might be using your depression as an excuse.

Id be tempted to even go back and ask him if you didnt suffer from depression if hed be saying the same.

The thing is she has been advised by her gp that knows her better than we do to not do exante, its not our place to go against this advice as we may not have the full details.

We must be careful

Thanks starlight I wrote my last thread before I saw your opinion. Another doctor could have a completely different opinion like you say. He was just dead set against it altogether before even mentioning about my depression. You are right. I'm going to carry on with it. Although I had something to eat after seeing doctor as I felt so miserable. So I have made up my mind and start again tomorrow. Most of my depression is because I'm so fat. Like you say some doctors are just dead against these diets. He is not God. It's dangerous for me to be this overweight and depressing in itself. DAY 1 tomorrow to hell with doctors. This is a safe diet so I'm gonna start again and do it.

Lisy, for your own health, if you really want to do this diet and I do understand why you do then I would urge you to see another Dr. That way you can make an informed choice based on what you are told. It may well be because the Dr you saw today is dead set against VLCD's but it also may be because he is genuinely concerned for you. I would get a 2nd opinion and make my choice then.

I have suffered depression, badly. I am very lucky that I have been well for a while now but I can hand on heart say I could not of done exante when I was poorly or still fighting hard to be well.

Hugs x

The thing is she has been advised by her gp that knows her better than we do to not do exante, its not our place to go against this advise as we may not have the full details.

We must be careful

I realise that but I also know how totally anti some doctors are. There are people on CD who have to actually go private to get a doctors signature to start it because their doctor refuses point blank to sign it only because they dont approve and for no other reason.

Im not suggesting for a moment Lisy ignores his advice out of hand thats why i suggested a 2nd opinion with another doctor who will also know her history and maybe be a bit more open minded. or indeed to go back and speak to her own GP again.

He sounds like he doesnt approve of VLCDs and my worry would be THAT was the reason hes said not to do it. If its genuinely because its not good for her then Id never disagree with that but if he has a bias against VLCDs then that would bother me.

I have spoken to Exante and they said the reason you can't follow TS whilst taking meds is because they don't have the councillors to monitor you. But when I was on Cambridge diet I got the go ahead from my old G.P while I was on medication and I was ok. So I'm gonna do TS starting again tomorrow.

My doctor said he is against Vlcds altogether. I'm not depressed at the moment. It is under control. I'm just fed up with the size of 2 people tbh. That's the only thing getting me down.

Yes Starlight my OH. He will be the first to tell me. Also my mum. They both will keep an eye on me. Thanks for your concern.:)

Back