Urgh!

Phoenix_Girl

Like starting a huge mountain climb on somewhere like Everest, I looked up at my ultimate goal.

I have a goal and have looked at how much I have to lose in total and my sub-targets, it's just feeling like it's out of reach at the moment and weighing myself, it looks like I may maintain (I know it's better than a gain) this week - the proof will be the official WI tomorrow in-group.

Ideally, I would like to get to my target by about Mid-April next year and stay there - I'm just feeling a bit down when I have more than half of my bodyweight to lose.

I know that starving myself won't work so don't worry, I won't do that, it just feels like 9st is a target that I will well and truly miss :(

Please don't worry or be overwhelmed. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how quickly things will happen & you've got a brilliant community here for moral support whenever you need it.

Just try and take it day by day, I have days when I struggle & fall off the wagon but looking at things over a month rather than a weekly basis - really puts things into perspective.

Just think, every day you are closer to where you want to be. :)

I've got about 8st - 9st left to lose too, personally I'm not thinking about how long it will take because it's bound to be a little de-motivating at times. I just set mini targets like by the Thursday after Easter I want to lose another 7lbs or by April 3rd I want to get from 18st into the 17s :D I find it easier and more motivating because it's more of a closer goal to look forward to :D

Also, I don't think you should get disheartened, if you follow the plan and stick to your syns you'll be likely to see a loss.

I've got 8stones to lose as well. My first target is to get under 17stone because Ive not been that weight for a long time. Then my next goal is to get under 15st. I'm following extra and easy and have just started. Don't look up at the mountain just concentrate on the path :) x

Even just a pound a week will add up over a year. Now that I have been doing SW for about 5 weeks now, its not a diet, I am not deprived, I am just making more sensible choices. I do make mistakes, go over my syns occassionally! But, we are in this for the long haul, and in a few months when you see some real physical changes, you will see light at the end of the tunnel! Keep up the good work!

I think it's easy to fall into the trap of focussing too much on the numbers and not the plan itself. If you're getting the plan right, the numbers will follow. I record my progres on a spreadsheet, have done since I started last January, and my average weight loss is 1.9lbs per week over the past 60-odd weeks. Oh how I want that number to start with a 2! But I find I'm just putting pressure on myself if I think "I've got to get 3 this week" or whatever. The better weeks I have are when I relax, plan properly, drink plenty of water and enjoy my food rather than concentrating too hard on every last morsel and what impact it might have on the scales.

If I may just make one observation, your target BMI does seem very low. I know that's your choice, I just hope you're not setting yourself an unachievable goal and in doing so exaggerating how far you have to go. I remember how daunting it felt to have what seemed like a mountain to climb, as my target is also approximately half my starting weight. But patience and determination will get you there. Trust the plan, it works. You've made a terrific start, keep up the good work hun!

Last edited:
Just take it one target at a time, you're quite tall so 9stone you might find (not for me to say, it's just advice, please don't be offended) might be too slim, you may find you get to 10.7 or even 11 stone and might be quite happy.
Im 5"7 and aiming for 9.7 which would put me at size 8-10 so you being taller, would I think be a 6-8 or less?

I would suggest you break your journey down into smaller targets and focus on your next target. That way, you'll get a sense of achievement and it will make your trek seem less daunting. To use your own analogy: focus on reaching base camp rather than the summit!

I also agree with MaccaMarsh and His-Beau: your target would actually make you slightly underweight (the minimum healthy BMI is 18.5). Why not be kind to yourself and set your target initially at the top end of a healthy BMI for your height which would be around 12st 7lb? There is nothing to stop you adjusting your target down again when you get there!

Good luck.

Why not set a goal that is close to your final target but makes the journey seem a whole lot manageable?

I'm 5'8 and have set my target at 11 stone... now when I was a stone heavier I thought I might actually lower it but now I've lost that extra 14lbs I'm wondering if 11st will be just right for me as I feel much slimmer already.

Please don't be offended but I agree with above, I'd set your goal at the top of your healthy BMI, then lower it as you see fit, but going under your healthy BMI isn't really advisable. I'm 3 inches smaller than you and my goal is 11st 2lb which takes me to a size 12/14 and a BMI of 24-ish, I'll reassess when I get there. If I had to look at getting to the bottom end of the BMI scale now, I think I'd be just too daunted.

Try to break your loss down into awards, so that it doesn't feel like a mountain, just a series of small hills :) start with the next 7lbs and then your next stone award, 10%, etc. Don't even think about the 7, 8, 9st your aiming for, just focus on the next half stone.

Good luck. xxxx

Last edited:
I focus on my next 1/2 st or stone award, I don't look at the final amount as it is daunting. I haven't set a date for when I want to get to target as I've tried setting targets for a certain dates and when I haven't achieved them I feel like a failure. I'm quite happy to lose weight steadily and enjoy the journey on the way there. Good luck x

Try not to look at the final figure - keep aimimg for that next 1/2 stone or next drop into the next stone.

I also agree with what has been said about your target - I'm 5ft10 also and currently weigh at 12-7 which just about puts me in a healthy BMI range. I want to lose at least another stone but will know my final ideal weight when I eventually get there

Dont put too much pressure on yourself by having such a low goal weight

And good luck with the coming weeks - you'll get there xx

Great advice here. I'm the same I have 8,9 stone to loose too. I have set my ticker higher as that is my goal for now and when I get there I may look at it again! In the meantime the half stone awards keep me going and jumping into new stone brackets. Set yourself mini targets. I have a holiday in June and I want to loose another 1.5 stone by then.

Ive lost 8 st and now have 4st to lose to target, but have to say everytime I dropped into the next stone it was fab, so just take it one stone at a time :)

Hi all, I read this thread yesterday when I was feeling down and it really cheered me up, thank you so much as I was struggling a lot before my WI last night and was seriously considering bottling it.

I forced myself to go and to stay to group and I wasn't disappointed but this definitely spurred me on. :)

Reading your comments about my target, I was aware that it was a low BMI, SW have actually gone bonkers at me and have not allowed me to set my target that low on the site but I would like to get down to about a 6-8, I know it's super-dinky, especially considering my current size but I would love to get some designer clothes in my wardrobe (like suits for work) and they start off super-small and tend to stop at about size 10.

I think when I get lower in weight, I may be able to re-evaluate my target and see how my size changes over time, how I carry myself and maybe stop a bit earlier but if I set it too high, I might try to cheat myself - this is one of the reasons I am going to group rather than doing this online, I may actually lack discipline unless there are consequences to me slacking.

To try to keep me motivated, I have made some smaller milestones to focus on to try to prevent me from looking at the final target and feeling overwhelmed by the journey ahead.

I have a friend who is your height... a few years back she lost a lot of weight, probably down to a size 8ish and it really didn't suit her, she looked very ill. I know it would be lovely to have some size 6 suits in your wardrobe but it's just a label... your healthy is a much more important. I really wouldn't worry about the size of your clothing but get to a point where you look and feel healthy.

I have a friend who is your height... a few years back she lost a lot of weight, probably down to a size 8ish and it really didn't suit her, she looked very ill. I know it would be lovely to have some size 6 suits in your wardrobe but it's just a label... your healthy is a much more important. I really wouldn't worry about the size of your clothing but get to a point where you look and feel healthy.

I agree!. My mum was a very big lady (size 28) and she went to a size 12 and looked really unwell. She was so tired of people asking her what had been wrong with her that she went up to a size 14-16 and she looked wonderful :) x

Lisa x

I follow a woman on Facebook who has lost nearly 20 stone with SW and still has about 14 stone to go! She writes really good daily blogs on there and posts lovely recipes - take a look. Her name is Weight Loss ***** and says "The day that I'm called a '*****' rather than a 'fat *****' is the day I know I've hit my target! An anonymous account of my weight loss - so no pictures!"

The starred out bit is the female dog word!!!

Back