Using alcohol to cook

Topaz63

Gone a bit quiet
Following the thread on alcohol reminds me that you can use up to three tablespoons of wine a day. I use red to deglaze the pan after steak (while steak is resting). Let it bubble to drive off alcohol, then maybe add a little water to stop it drying out too fast. Then add quark with finely squished garlic, black pepper and herbs, stir around till blended and pour over the steak. You can do the same with chicken or White fish using white wine and varying the herbs- tarragon is good.
Only thing is you have to resist drinking from the bottle you've opened! For cooking only it doesn't matter if it begins to get a little vinegary, so no excuses!

Or, put another way - 2 and half bottles of red wine a week!

I only cook with alcohol occasionally and then it's been a maximum of 150ml divided amongst 2 or more people. So I end up with 75ml of evaporated alcohol at most.

I'd be wary of using 200ml a day. Also, be wary of what the official website says as sometimes they have a tendency to pander to the masses. I'd say that the stricter you are with things like restricted items, the more likely you are to succeed.

I bought a bottle of dealcoholized wine thinking I cuold use 200ml per day... good thing I saw this thread!! Will stick to 3 tbsp lol

Biowidget - it would be better to treat things like cooking wine and diet sodas as occasional extras - not as part of a regular daily allowance.

Back