Red Day Chicken in Creamy Wine Sauce

Pommette

Trying - very!
My quest is to make scrummy food that you can serve to friends without them realing you're on a diet.
So I've taken a lot of my recipes that once-upon-a-time used double cream and replaced with fromage frais or quark!

There's quite a few ingrediends so looks complicated but it's easy to make.

Ingredients (for 2)
1 onion - chopped fairly small
Celery - ½ stick chopped very finely (or you could use celery salt which I do if I've no fresh celery)
2 chicken breasts cut into cubes (about ¾")
175 ml dry white wine
1 tsp Chicken Stock powder
Dijon Mustard - 1 heaped desertspoon
Herbs - whatever you fancy but I normally use Herbs Provençal (mixed french herbs)
Black pepper - lots of freshly ground
Cornflour - 1 heaped teaspoon mixed with water
125 ml 0% fat Queso Fresco (fromage frais) - or you could use Quark but I'd use slightly less say 100 ml

Method
1. Spray a good heavy based frying pan with oil - I hate FryLight so use olive oil sprayed onto pan and fry very carefully
2. Fry Onion and fresh Celery (not celery salt - add this later)
3. Add chicken and brown
4. Add white wine & bring to a rolling boil for 3 or 4 minutres to boil off the alcohol and reduce by half
5. Add stock powder, herbs, mustard, and ground black pepper and mix in (add celery salt here if you are using)
6. Reduce heat and simmer covered for about an 1 hour.
7. Keep an eye on it to make sure all the liquid doesn't boil away - add some water if necessary
8. Thicken the liquid slightly with cornflour / water mix
9. Add Fromage Frais - but do not boil or it will curdle

Serve immediately. I normally have it with squashed new potatoes, and loads of veg . . . broccoli, green beans, leeks, carrots mixed!

Total Syns per person = 5
All ingredients free on Red and EE except:
- Wine (6 syns)
- Dijon Mustard (2 syns)
- Cornflour (2 syns)
Possibly less syns as my hubby insists that when you boil off the alcohol from wine you boil off some of the syns :giggle:
But lets be safe and say 5 per person.

To reduce syns
You could use English mustard powder which is free - but not sure how the taste would be affected.
Mr Poms reckons it wouldn't be "right" so I'd go by him as he's the chef (and a good one at that!)
You could also put less wine in and add water instead.

ENJOY !!!

Last edited:
Back