Valentines & singles

Jennyonaplate

Gold Member
Anyone like me and stuck on the shelf and gets fed up with valentines being completely unavoidable?! I can't even buy fruit & veg without there being a Valentines promotion in the way!

And if the kids at the college where I work ask me one more time if I want to buy a rose for my valentine, they're likely to see what happens when a single girl in her 30's goes a bit nuts!!!

I'm married and it still p****es me off!! I hate valentines day it's just so commercial. Every time my husband tells me he loves me makes me happy, I don't need a 'special' day or hideous stuffed bear for him to prove his love. I'm not surprised you are getting cross valentines cr*p is everywhere :p

Drives me mad, luckily i've avoided it a bit this year though. Will be hiding for the weekend haha

I'm in a relationship and I still can't stand it. It's such a pile of crap, I'll be hiding in the house until it's all over!

Was annoying today in Sainsburys... A lady was stood with red roses and teddies etc on a table holding a basket full of lindt chocolate asking if people wanted one... I was walking past with my husband when the lady offered one to us... We said no thank you, and she seemed really surprised! She said to my husband... 'How come you don't want one?' and he told her I was dieting on SW and cut out the choccies, she asked if he would buy me a box for valentines and he repeated again... I was dieting... And she said 'that's one excuse I've heard before!!

I thought it was sweet my OH showing solidarity and not tempting me with chocolates! I've always been spoilt rotten by him... I avoided walking past the woman for the rest of the time we were there!

Even though I'm married... I do get annoyed with valentines day its no excuse to charge extortionate prices for roses!

Seconded!

A load of commercial cr@p, which, like Christmas, has become all about spending money rather than it's original meaning.

I'm married too and every day my husband does something to show me he loves me. I don't need some tat to show me that :D

Besides, I'd rather celebrate our anniversary. That's our special day which we chose and is unique to us and our love. (Ok probably not totally unique there's bound to be thousands of other couples married on April 23rd but you know what I mean!:p)

Seconded!

A load of commercial cr@p, which, like Christmas, has become all about spending money rather than it's original meaning.

I'm married too and every day my husband does something to show me he loves me. I don't need some tat to show me that :D

Besides, I'd rather celebrate our anniversary. That's our special day which we chose and is unique to us and our love. (Ok probably not totally unique there's bound to be thousands of other couples married on April 23rd but you know what I mean!:p)

Now that's a day that deserves to be celebrated and go right over the top.

Sadly, aside from a few most of the country don't even recognise what day it is! - aside from your anniversary of course;)

I refer to St. George's Day. Sadly most English people know St Patrick's Day as March 17th - most of them celebrate it (I use the term loosely as most of them get bladdered).

Not sure if many English people even know 23rd April is St. George's day, let alone celebrate or commemorate it.

:(

I'll be hiding too on the weekend. Wish I had taken Monday off now that I think about it. In the past colleagues kept wandering around the department anouncing to everybody what either their partner had given them or that they have a secret admirer. After I had to listen to this c*p and pretended to be interested they usually ended their monologue with "oh sorry, forgot you are single and don't get anything". Aarrrrghhh!

I know I am old and out of touch, but I thought that the whole point of Valentine's Day was that you could send a card anonymously to the object of your secret desires!

When did it become a "valentines weekend" and an excuse for everything to be pink or red and for everyone to stuff their faces with pink champagne and chocolate and buy out-of-season roses which are expensive and horrible.

Anyone who says "you're single and don't get anything" has surely missed the point completely!

I once got a Valentine's Day card which said "last night must happen again". Trouble was, I hadn't been anywhere or done anything the night before - or the night before that, etc., etc.

I never did find out who it was from, but I treasured that card for years!

Im single and i agree with all the above, iv never actually wanted to go out with a guy and do the whole dating thing or be in a relationship as im not someone who can easily trust someone as well as many other reasons. However i would love it if someone gave me a valentines card! I think i would just melt! :D

Ah dont get me started, i went to but apples.. apples i tell you, and they had 3 apples in a heart shaped box.. APPLES for god sake!!! Good for slimmers i suppose, but i was like bugger off valentines weekend!!!

Sorry for the rant, but really apples?? lol you can tell im single!

Anyone like me and stuck on the shelf and gets fed up with valentines being completely unavoidable?! I can't even buy fruit & veg without there being a Valentines promotion in the way!

And if the kids at the college where I work ask me one more time if I want to buy a rose for my valentine, they're likely to see what happens when a single girl in her 30's goes a bit nuts!!!

I'm free this weekend if you are... ;) :D

Now that's a day that deserves to be celebrated and go right over the top.

Sadly, aside from a few most of the country don't even recognise what day it is! - aside from your anniversary of course;)

I refer to St. George's Day. Sadly most English people know St Patrick's Day as March 17th - most of them celebrate it (I use the term loosely as most of them get bladdered).

Not sure if many English people even know 23rd April is St. George's day, let alone celebrate or commemorate it.

:(

That's why I chose our wedding date! Because it was St. George's day!

I'm English and live in Wales (don't ask!)but am an extremely patriotic Englishwoman - I kinda had to be being the only English person in my school that didn't hide the fact! LOL

It's also my (Irish) Nan's birthday so all round a good happy ENGLISH day :D

Ah dont get me started, i went to but apples.. apples i tell you, and they had 3 apples in a heart shaped box.. APPLES for god sake!!! Good for slimmers i suppose, but i was like bugger off valentines weekend!!!

Sorry for the rant, but really apples?? lol you can tell im single!
That rant was so funny! Apples, bloody apples - I'll give you apples lol
That's why I chose our wedding date! Because it was St. George's day!

I'm English and live in Wales (don't ask!)but am an extremely patriotic Englishwoman - I kinda had to be being the only English person in my school that didn't hide the fact! LOL

It's also my (Irish) Nan's birthday so all round a good happy ENGLISH day :D

An Englishwoman living in South Wales with an Irish Nan! - who said the Brits were not cosmopolitan lol.

Valetine's day is extra special for me since the love of my life dumped me on it 2 years ago! (sorry about the sarcasm)
I hate valentine's day, not just because of that reason (though it doesn't help) but because I believe if you're going to show someone that you care for them you should do it whenever you feel like it. Not because the shops tell you to. When I was in a relationship, I still did my best to avoid February 14th because I just thing it's a total waste of time.

Meh...Valentines Day is a watered down version of the old pagan festival it replaced...

Lupercalia, the True Origin of St. Valentine's Day

Sounds like a damn sight more fun to me. Names in a hat anyone? :cool::D

Seriously, I don't even register it these days - maybe that's somehting that comes with age. Even when I was married my then husband was not at all romantically inclined ... it was touch and go for him to even remember my birthday. :D

Last edited:
Back