Valuable lesson learned from blip weekend!

Asa

Silver Member
I have learned:
* I can control myself around food once I start to eat.
* I choose what I eat and when I blip.
* In only eat until I feel satisfied, never those large quantities like I used to have.
* The food is not so good that it is worth to loose focus of my goal.

I had a blip this weekend. It is a major holiday here in Sweden, and lots of food involved. I stayed at my mother in laws house for a night, and it is always packed with food, sweets and snacks. I just started the 810 plan and was terrified of eating, and loosing control around food (like I have in the past).

But what I learned was that I DID choose to step away from the CD plan, I choose every bite I had, and I now have to pay the consequences. I think I am glad I had the blip now rather than later, because I did learned something about myself. I am sure I will have a few pounds to take off when I WI tomorrow, but I will count them as the price I had to pay to learn my above lessons.

I will try look at this blip in the positive light, and see that it has prepared me for upcoming events, and also when I go back out there "in the real world" when it is time for maintaining :D.

Anyone else who had blips but also learned something positive?

I think the fact you have learned actually makes the blip worthwhile in a funny way. Wish we didn't have to learn the hard way, but those falls and mistakes are where the lessons are. And Asa, you are asking questions, trying to think things through, working out why and how. And you are not blaming anyone... as you say, you made a choice. I think you have come a long way, honey. I have made a million mistakes and I'm still learning, but step by step I am getting there... and you are too.

xxx

I agree. I am having a terrible weekend food wise. I think there is an element of self sabotage involved and also because my holiday to glasto is next week so I'm finding it hard to stay on track. I have learned that the real hard work is starting after next week during the final push to get the last stone off and maintnence. I still have that demon on my shoulder! Does it ever go away?

Might not ever go for good... but getting it to stay quiet for a long while would be an improvement! Don't be too hard on yourself Eyeson, but GET BACK on minis the second you are back from Glasto, we will not let you fall. Hugs... and enjoy the fezzi. Very jealous!

xxx

Im really craving some chicken.. is it worth choosing to have it like you said and get the craving out of my system?... Im in two minds.. I dont think TOTM is helping much!! .... oh to be skinny and problemless. :p x

IndigoMondays - when I've got a craving I try to project how I might feel in each of two scenario's....1) if I eat the chicken, how will I feel? 2) If i fight the craving, how will I feel?

Sometime's thats enough to make me realise a bit of chicken (or whatever) isn't going to change my world other than to make me feel a bit disappointed in myself for 'giving in' to my craving. Although, I guess, you could decide to eat the chicken and feel ok about it. Don't, though, decide to eat and then feel terrible about it!!

have you tried all the usual distraction techniques? Bath, walk, book, paint your nails, clean your teeth?

I think the fact you have learned actually makes the blip worthwhile in a funny way. Wish we didn't have to learn the hard way, but those falls and mistakes are where the lessons are. And Asa, you are asking questions, trying to think things through, working out why and how. And you are not blaming anyone... as you say, you made a choice. I think you have come a long way, honey. I have made a million mistakes and I'm still learning, but step by step I am getting there... and you are too.

xxx

Thanks for your support! Yes, I made many mistakes in previous diets as well :D. But I am thinking it is going the right direction anyway :D. Hope we learn eventually!

I agree. I am having a terrible weekend food wise. I think there is an element of self sabotage involved and also because my holiday to glasto is next week so I'm finding it hard to stay on track. I have learned that the real hard work is starting after next week during the final push to get the last stone off and maintnence. I still have that demon on my shoulder! Does it ever go away?

I have been thinking about the self sabotage thing as well. Sometimes it feels like I am doing that too. I have a weekend away coming up next weekend, and the week after that is a hen party for a friend, and the wedding to go to.

I know it gets harder the closer you are to the goal. Last time I lost weight I started to feel slim, and feeling that I was "done", and then I quickly put all the weight back on plus some more :sigh:. I really think and hope I have learned my lesson this time.

This weekend has bn a disaster for me.. hence me being rather quiet on here :cry:

I dread Tuesday WI x

I dread my WI tomorrow as well. I also tend to be quiet, but this time I thought I would post something "positive" about it, and try to look at it from a positive angle.

Have you put your blip behind you? Don't beat yourself up about it, nothing good can come out of that. Believe me, I spend most of last year beating myself up about gaining all the weight that I took of by doing WW. Is didn't help me at all!

I blipped again after my weigh in on Friday (weigh in was good) the same happened last week and so I thought I would be prepared for this one....NOT!!! I still chose to go off plan. It is sooooooo frustrating how I have done this for the past 2 weeks. I know alot of strategies......I know all the things I should 'do' . However......on all other diets I would have been fighting with the urge to 'blip' every day!!! So.....I thank goodness that CD brings it down to occasionally...and I have a feeling that I will be able to take that weekly blip out of the equation eventually. I know that perfection is not required.....I am grateful for everyone sharing their less than glorious moments...it is when we can show up and show our frailties and imperfections with others that we perhaps make our breakthroughs...and also see that even though we screw up we are coming back and again stepping up to the challenge to change our eating behaviour. Thanks everyone.

I agree the urges don't come all the time on CD, but certain moments. Weekends are usually tough! I also agree that is is good to share our imperfections once in a while, at least to help each other to understand why, and figure out how to better deal with food (I am an emotional eater, so starting to find out how to handle emotions without food).

I need to just put it behind me.. too late too fret about it now!

If I put on weight well thats my own fault and I kno why so hopefully will learn from it..

Wish it was bedtime and can put this weekend behind me x

I had a blip on friday night (well, friday in general really) It was kinda planned as it was a work night out i was really looking forward to, i chose to come out of ketosis so i could have a few drinks and i thoroughly enjoyed it! I was a bit nervous that i would find it hard to stick to it saturday morning but it's sunday evening now, i tested positive on the ketostix this morning (dunno how but am not complaining!) and i feel good that i am back on track and managed to put friday behind me and not continue with the eating!

Try not to beat yourselves up about it, all we can do is start again!

P x

Hey girls - please don't worry! I was away on a course last weekend and, after 2 days of eating sensibly (meat, veg, salad etc), I gained 5lbs! I was shocked at how easily it went on but I also felt that, like Asa, I'd learned something about the power of choice - the ability to choose wisely what and when I eat. Unbelievably for me, I felt really relaxed about the food and the decision I'd taken to temporarily come off CD. I feel like I've forgiven myself for allowing me to balloon to nearly 17 stone in weight. It was really strange!
I lost the 5lbs and another 3lbs this week so it has no long-term effect when you 'blip' as long as you get straight back on the diet and go for it 100%. We're so hung up on guilt and being perfect when we're trying to lose weight that we forget that we have a life to live and this diet is something that HAS to fit in otherwise we'd go mad! At the end of the day, we're only human and we're open to all sorts of temptation on CD. We turn up that self-critical button to full volume when we're unhappy with ourselves and our bodies and its that which causes us to fail. Don't worry about falling off the wagon - just get straight back on again and be proud of yourself for being the fighter you are! Sorry for rambling but I just feel so passionate about this. Wish I had a magic wand to wave over us all - that'd be fab wouldnt it - and easier!!!???!!!!!! xxxx

thanks for your support guys! I'll be straight back on until glasto and then next week when I get back. I have to get this final bit off, I'm so close to goal I can almost touch it! Keep me on the straight and narrow guys! X

Blimey! I've just noticed your total weight loss Eyeontheprize!! You go girl - what a fabulous achievement! There's no way at all you're going to fail. You must have learned so much during your weight loss journey that will stand you in good stead for that last few lbs! You go for it - you're a star!!! xxx

aww thank you! I am finding this last bit difficult but I will make it, I am determined. But will need support, so having you guys is such a relief! X

Hey, I have fallen off several times, and I do not and will not feel guilty for it - fact!

I know there is a lot of people out there that say you should stick to it 100% and thats fantastic if you can do that, but you know what I am human, I have one life, I plan to live it.

I do not go out very often, but if I do, then I choose to come off CD and drink, I tend to avoid the food, when drinking I find this easy, however if I go somewhere where food is a given then I do eat, and tend to eat as healthy as possible.

Most people tend to advise not to cheat and that is because when we cheat we tend to then beat ourselves up for it, think that we have cheated, think blow it ive cheated so I will carry on cheating, put on weight, feel guilty some more, then give up! Anyone go through this?

If so you are doing it all wrong. If you decide to go on a night out and cheat, so what? do you not deserve it? However there a rules to be followed as follows:

1. Try and do healthy
2. Do not feel guilty
3. Allow yourself - you are not cheating
4. Do not feel guilty
5. Enjoy yourself.
6. Get back on plan immediately after. (you plan this in advance)
7. Do not feel guilty.

I have done this a couple of times, and actually have not put on weight, in fact the worst case scenario was I only lost 1lb that week, but I was willing to do this, or even not loose any, that said my wi is friday, so if I 'cheat' (have a moment) its after that and I have a whole week to recover.

well thats my take on it anyway.

Debs

Back