I made this last night and it's AMAZING! Only 4 syns for the whole lot and it makes enough to serve 4 easily. I adapted it from the cookbook Indian Cooking Without Fat by Mridula Baljekar.
- 8oz basmati rice, washed and soaked in cold water for 30 mins
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 cloves
- 1 red onion, halved and finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, coarsley grated
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 6 fl oz warm water
- Drain the rice and leave to drain in colander.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds followed by the cinnamon, cardamoms, and cloves. Let the spices sizzle for 15-20 seconds, then add the onion and fry for 4-5 mins or until softened.
- Add the carrots and increase the heat to high. Stir fry for 2-3 mins, then reduce heat to medium and add the rice, salt and turmeric. Fry for 2-3 mins, stirring constantly then pour in the warm water.
- Bring to the boil and allow to boil vigourously for 1 min, then reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and cook for 10 mins. Do not lift the lid during this cooking. Remove the pan from the heat without lifting the lid and set it aside to stand, undisturbed, for 5-6 mins before serving. Fluff with a fork and serve.
126.1 KB Views: 1,562