Green Day Vegetable Pilau Rice

StaceyUK

Gold Member
I made this last night and it's AMAZING! Only 4 syns for the whole lot and it makes enough to serve 4 easily. I adapted it from the cookbook Indian Cooking Without Fat by Mridula Baljekar.

• 8oz basmati rice, washed and soaked in cold water for 30 mins
  • 2 tsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
  • 4 green cardamom pods, crushed
  • 2 cloves
  • 1 red onion, halved and finely sliced
  • 1 large carrot, coarsley grated
  • 1 tsp salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 6 fl oz warm water
  1. Drain the rice and leave to drain in colander.
  2. Heat the oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds followed by the cinnamon, cardamoms, and cloves. Let the spices sizzle for 15-20 seconds, then add the onion and fry for 4-5 mins or until softened.
  3. Add the carrots and increase the heat to high. Stir fry for 2-3 mins, then reduce heat to medium and add the rice, salt and turmeric. Fry for 2-3 mins, stirring constantly then pour in the warm water.
  4. Bring to the boil and allow to boil vigourously for 1 min, then reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and cook for 10 mins. Do not lift the lid during this cooking. Remove the pan from the heat without lifting the lid and set it aside to stand, undisturbed, for 5-6 mins before serving. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Note: I didn't read the directions in advance so only soaked my rice for about 5-10 mins. I also added slightly more water at stage 4 as the water quickly evaporated so I just poured in about another 2 oz.

Attachments

• IMG_5119.JPG
    IMG_5119.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,566
Oh I agree it was absolutely yummy! I think it would also be great on its own as a lunchtime rice salad with some sultanas and dried apricots added to it. I did half the amount of rice but kept all the spices and it tasted fantastic. Thanks very much, I'm definitely going to add this to my recipe book! :D

Glad you enjoyed! I ate the leftover rice on its own for lunch yesterday as it was that good! Something about steaming it just makes it so good and I love how it wasn't mushy or wet.

Looks Lush! What did you have on the side huni
x

I am making this tonight to go with my curry! I hunted online for ages for a recipe I could adapt but I think yours will absolutely be the best. The method is really similar to how I make my biryani, so I shouldn't mess it up! LOL!

Thanks for another nice recipe Stacey.

Back