Vegetarian healthy eating?

Hello everyone :)

Just wondered if anyone had tried going vegetarian for weight loss purposes? I started to only eat a vegetarian diet about two months ago and have found it really helps me to make healthy choices. I really don't think I've ever eaten as well as in the last couple of months! :greenapple:

I've been on lots of diets before, successfully and unsuccessfully, but have found it really difficult to stick to anything really. I've lost 43lb (slowly!) in the last 18 months, through trying to control portions (a la Paul McKenna) and running :bliss: but have noticed a massive difference in my weight, health and how I look since becoming vegetarian.

Just wondered about any of your experiences really, and whether you've considered this route!

Jo :D

I'm eating a lot more vegetarian foods. I haven't gone totally vegetarian but I'm eating a lot of Quorn products, Linda McCartney and the Cauldron range which I love. I still enjoy meat but I'm now thoroughly enjoying things like mushroom burgers, falafel (which I adore), quorn nuggets etc.

yep thats exactly what im doing! its only 2 days in (ive cut out meat and dairy) and already i feel alot better. i find it so hard to stay on a diet and i usually end up making a healthy wraps then piling sour cream or something on, so hopefully this keeps me on the straight and narrow!

yep thats exactly what im doing! its only 2 days in (ive cut out meat and dairy) and already i feel alot better. i find it so hard to stay on a diet and i usually end up making a healthy wraps then piling sour cream or something on, so hopefully this keeps me on the straight and narrow!

I think that's great; I'm considering cutting out dairy too, for ethical reasons as well as health.

I think it's important to have as little processed food as possible, it's surprising how much better I feel eating clean. Instead of the fewest calories I'm now looking for the fewest ingredients!

i am a vegetarian, and i love it. i need to get back to my healthy roots. lessen the amount of crisps i eat.!

I'm a vegetarian too and I find it easy to mantain my weight when I stick to low fat meals and whole foods. Plus, lots of water :)

Yay !!! Another Veggie here !!! Have been for over 25 years, no fish or seafood. I love love love Veggies, just as well really, eh ??? In the early days I remember having to buy my "special " food from the Health food shops. You couldn't find it in the Supermarkets !! It cost a bloody fortune, was mainly tinned and was very dubious looking !! Yes, I am still a chubby Veggie, but I was once a very slim and healthy Veggie !! On my way back to find her again !! Hehe!! Food choices in the UK are brill for us ( shopping and eating out ) but now I am living in the USA ( I am a Brit !!) it's not sooo good. Thank Gawd, for Trader Joe's , it's my haven here, think a Health Food shop, with jazzy snazzy food and brilliant prices!!
Just wish the restaurants would catch up here, the normal choice for us is very lacking, it really is geared up for Carnivores all the way !!
Fav recipes I make, Veggie Curry, a mean Chilli and Mr D loves my Veggie low fat Lasagne!! Will never go back now, I love the Veggie food more!!

Good luck !

Diva x

Hello Diva,

Yes it's nice to know about one more vegetarian around minimins site. Actually there are some of us already:)

Do you have a diary?
Mine is on my sig in case you want to take a look;)

x

xx

I'm a pescatarian, so still eat fish. I stopped eating meat 5 years ago because of my partner at the time. I wasn't a big fan of meat anyway so we weren't eating it that often. Now I will very occasionally have something, sausages are my weakness! But on the whole I just don't like meat! Also I feel quite happy when I see animals in fields and feel I'm not a threat to them, daft I know.
My biggest weakness is cheese though, I just love cheese and have to try and make sure I'm not just scoffing cheese at every meal!

I don't actually have a diary page, just a few threads, where I sort of rant and rave most of the time,recording things like my walking miles, WI, etc, etc. Should get more organised and put it all under one umbrella really, I suppose !!! Also, when I joined this site I still wasn't sure if I would stick at it.... hehehe
I can't keep cheese in the house much Littlered81, well, you know real lovely bits of cheddar !!! We do have the very low cal stuff every now and again...which I find bearable if served in something!!! My other half loves the stuff too !!( He's not a Veggie !! )

Diva x

Back