Green Days Vegetarian Hell

Choccyfan72

Most eating places these days are very good at catering for the veggie,
My problem.....I HATE cheese and mushrooms!! I have found that a lot of dishes contain 1 or both, I know that a lot of places have a wide menu of choice but, would it be okay on the rare occasions that there is nothing else to choose from can i have cod? (it's the only fish I like).

I don't want to be know as a veggie who eats fish if the norm is not to.

I'm new a veggie lifestyle after a few years off the wagon, through ill health and was advised to eat meat or else!! (that's all I want to say, I cant go into too much detail).

Any help is welcome!!
:rolleyes::sigh::eek:

Would you say you're more a pescatarian? If you eat meat of any kind (including fish) then you're not a vegetarian. Which is fine if you are happy not being a vegetarian but obviously that's up to you.

I don't have trouble eating out although I agree that a lot of veggie options contain a lot of cheese! There are plenty of things you can have out though - I love the couscous salad in nandos, the five bean chilli in wetherspoons etc or just a jacket spud and beans. All of these are SW friendly.

So far, I haven't had a problem, but we're going out next Sunday and I don't know the menu at all :-\ I don't think hubby be happy if I sat in a posh restaurant with jp and beans!! A normal meal out would be okay but next Sunday big deal lol

So far, I haven't had a problem, but we're going out next Sunday and I don't know the menu at all :-\ I don't think hubby be happy if I sat in a posh restaurant with jp and beans!! A normal meal out would be okay but next Sunday big deal lol

Well it depends where you are going? It's hard to know what to suggest without knowing what sort of place it is. You didn't say it was anywhere posh lol ;)

I haven't been there before myself, so I couldn't tell you!! All I know is everyone dressing to the 9's lol.

A vegetarian doesn't eat fish, but it's about making your own choices with food, I don't eat meat or any meat products but I do eat fish and prawns from time to time, technically we're pescetarian but I'm not that into labels, so I just say "I don't eat meat" and leave it at that.

That said usually when out I have veggie dishes and must places I find plenty of choice, but I love mushrooms and cheese :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

A normal meal out for me, I be happy to have jp or beans, but Hubby's family are snobs sometimes and it's there 40th wedding anniversary, I'm looking forward to it NOT lol..... I'm just thinking last hope if everything is cheese / mushrooms. ;/ x

Do you know the name of the restaurant? And where it is? Does it have a website? Maybe they have their menu online and you can read it in advance.

Or maybe you could call in and ask to see a menu. Or ring them and ask them.

Could you have a starter as a main course - lots of restaurants will do this. That will give you more choice.

I rarely eat out and when I do I like it to be in a nice restaurant with the sort of food I would never (could never!) eat at home (and if that makes me a snob, well that's fine with me). And I usually find that the better the restaurant the more likely they are to be helpful with dietary choices. It's just a question of planning.

Do you know the name of the restaurant? And where it is? Does it have a website? Maybe they have their menu online and you can read it in advance.

Or maybe you could call in and ask to see a menu. Or ring them and ask them.

Could you have a starter as a main course - lots of restaurants will do this. That will give you more choice.

I rarely eat out and when I do I like it to be in a nice restaurant with the sort of food I would never (could never!) eat at home (and if that makes me a snob, well that's fine with me). And I usually find that the better the restaurant the more likely they are to be helpful with dietary choices. It's just a question of planning.

This is a good idea!! No it doesn't make you a snob!! I feel rather uncomfortable with places I don't know tbh, and I am quite happy with quorn chicken with something, I'm probably panicked over nothing and everything will turn out great x

It might not be as bad as you think! Last time I went for a proper meal out I had a gorgeous tomato pasta dish. Couldn't syn it properly obviously but took a good guess and tried to work my week around my night out. Still had a loss that week! :)

Hells, thank you very much, no I don't eat cheese I hate it, the only fish i like is cod, people seem to think veggies love cheese /mushrooms lol yuk yukky yuk lol. So it would be a last resort thing. :-! X

I used to be vegetarian but couldnt stick to it! I love cheese and mushrooms and I agree it always seemed to b mushroom risotto or something with buetternut squash which I HATE!
Nowadays I eat meat but often do green days on SW, which pretty much creates a vegetarian day.
If you are worried about the place being fussy and a bit "posh", why not just relax and flexi syn? Like you said its a big deal and a one off type thing, so as long as there is something you enjoy, why not go for it? If it is like a veggie burger type thing, you could ask for new pots instead of chips or salad.
x

I'm not a vegetarian, because although I don't eat meat or fish, I do eat things with animal products in eg Mullers and Flumps! You seem to be focussing too much, IMO, on whether your husband/parents in law will be happy with your choice of dish from the menu. Forget what other people think and eat/do what makes YOU happy.

I went out for lunch with work to quite a posh restaurant last Friday, and knew in advance that there wasn't anything on the menu that was SW friendly or me friendly- all the veggie options had pastry/ goat's cheese (bleuuurgh!!) in. So I rang ahead and asked if they could make me a low fat tomato based pasta dish. They were only too happy to do so. Could you not ring the venue and ask for a specific dish to be made?

I had a veggie burger with jp instead of chips!! I have to admit that it was beautiful as well ;) x

I've just seen this thread now..I find there are some people who like to say if you don't eat meat why eat fish but for me it's worlds away from tucking into a steak! Being pescatarian makes eating out and stuff much easier too! If you want to eat fish go for it, it's good for your health too :) my doctor wasn't happy with me being completely veggie either!

I've just seen this thread now..I find there are some people who like to say if you don't eat meat why eat fish but for me it's worlds away from tucking into a steak! Being pescatarian makes eating out and stuff much easier too! If you want to eat fish go for it, it's good for your health too :) my doctor wasn't happy with me being completely veggie either!

I have to admit that I only eat fish in a last resort, If there's nothing else to eat, glad to have a second opinion though x

I guess it depends on why you're veggie, whether it's about health, ethics or just not liking meat. For me eating fish and a steak are exactly the same as its still something that was alive but it's a personal thing and we all eat different things for different reasons ;) There's nothing wrong with being pesci, I just get miffed when it's assumed that all veggies eat fish, especially in restaurants. Could write a book with the amount of times that I've been offered tuna as a 'veggie option'! x

missy1978 said:
I guess it depends on why you're veggie, whether it's about health, ethics or just not liking meat. For me eating fish and a steak are exactly the same as its still something that was alive but it's a personal thing and we all eat different things for different reasons ;) There's nothing wrong with being pesci, I just get miffed when it's assumed that all veggies eat fish, especially in restaurants. Could write a book with the amount of times that I've been offered tuna as a 'veggie option'! x

I've heard veggies be offered chicken before- wtf??

I've heard veggies be offered chicken before- wtf??

Crazy! I'm always getting asked if I eat fish. One of my colleagues genuinely thought that veggies eat fish and chicken until I corrected her! It got even more confusing when I tried to explain veganism lol ;)

missy1978 said:
Crazy! I'm always getting asked if I eat fish. One of my colleagues genuinely thought that veggies eat fish and chicken until I corrected her! It got even more confusing when I tried to explain veganism lol ;)

Lol, see I do think the clue is in the name.......

Back