vegetarian wanting meat! + eating on hols

any vegetarians out there thinking of eating meat again? I've been vegetarian for 15 years, but some of the meaty smells of the past couple of weeks have been so appealing, think I may revert back to carnivore mode when in maintenance and beyond :)

I'm going on hol (half-board) in few weeks too, was thinking of taking a bar for lunch each day + having small protein breakfast and dinner, trying to stay in ketosis (like with the atkins diet) obviously eating meat will help with this! will need to exert control, + keep away from the carbs, but know how much easier it will be to stay in ketosis and diet mode and not have to restart when I get back.

any thoughts? :confused:

I've been veggie since 14 (that's a LONG time now) so it's just basic to me, and I could never, ever go back. I have managed fine on the steps with quorn, tofu, cottage cheese & feta, & now eggs & beans. Obviously it's a very personal thing, but one of the things that impressed me about Cd is how well it works for veggies... only the mix-a-mousse, one flavour of tetra & a couple of soups are out of bounds.

xxx

Hi,

Been veggie for 18 years now, and do not think my tummy would cope with going back to meat - although got to say I am not tempted anyway. I love my quorn and tofu too much and it is proving difficult on SS not having them!
I agree that holidays are can be hard when veggie, have not found
quorn abroad and tofu is also difficult to track down.
Let me know how you get on, I will be interested to hear.
Take care.
X
p.s Katycakes - which tetra is out of bounds? Slightly stressed now as did not realise and have been having all flavours. Oh dear!

Oh no... sorry! I might be wrong! My CDC said I couldn't have strawberry? No idea why!!! (What could they out in that that they don't put in the others?!!!) I never checked to be honest, but the info must be on CD website. I hated the tetras so it was never an issue.

Count, you have done really well... getting close to goal!

xxx

funny.. for the last few weeks I've been seriously considering becoming veggie again! was veggie for seven years, but haven't been for the last fifteen.. never really thought much about it, or about getting back into it until the last few weeks on CD, and now I am feeling SERIOUSLY tempted..

So, Shrinking Sarah, we could simply do a swap and keep the veggie population the same size! Haha :D

Can see the thing about holidays.. when I was veggie before I was practically vegan, but I think if I were to be veggie now, I'd just say I was, but then still have the occasional bit of fish.. not strictly veggie, I know, but still alot easier to explain your diet if you simply say vegetarian... So.. like you, I'm simply toying with the idea at the moment...

I just find that all the things I like that are healthy are veggie anyway, and many of the things I like but want to leave out of my diet (purely on weight/health grounds) are meaty..

It'll also mean I can carry on having different meals from my OH permanently. He prefers loads of meat, and large quantities, and CD has been a break from feeling I should be having the same as him, and as much as him, when my frame's simply not designed to carry it! (can't entirely blame him - I was big before I met him!)

..I wasn't big when I was veggie though.. I cared about myself more, took more interest in healthy living, and didn't treat my body like a human compost bin!

anyway, I'm now rambling, and it's purely about me, which is the opposite decision from yours.. all the best whatever you decide to do!

Vxx

Oh no... sorry! I might be wrong! My CDC said I couldn't have strawberry? No idea why!!! (What could they out in that that they don't put in the others?!!!) I never checked to be honest, but the info must be on CD website. I hated the tetras so it was never an issue.

Count, you have done really well... getting close to goal!

xxx

Maybe whey - off to check fridged tetra

thanks for the opinions guys. Yep you may not want to hear this but strawberry tetra has E120/ crushed scale insect, which is what gives it the pink colouring. Think I'll give that a miss regardless! :D

Actually just been and checked, its the colouring. Carmine

"Carmine is a brilliant red dye made from crushed scale insects, typically cochineal or Polish cochineal insects. This dye is used in a wide variety of products, from cheese to paints, and people are often unaware of its use, due to the fact that labeling laws do not usually require the disclosure of carmine. Carmine has attracted a great deal of attention in some communities such as the vegetarian community due to its use as a food additive."

V, that's interesting, I see your thinking there :) not thinking of living on meat, but think I will have meat as part of my diet, just as long as it is free-range and as ethical as possible!

+ watch this space to see what the tummy thinks of it ;)

yuck! not getting them again!.. so what else?

mix-a-mouse is easy, cause I haven't bought it yet..

a couple of the soups? chicken? ..and...?

anything else?

Vx

FOOD MENTIONED!!!
If you are half board, and going abroad (Spain etc) no doubt there will be a lot of meat & fish options, so you may have more scope to do an Atkins style meal than a veggie as there seemed to be a distinct lack of veggie options in our recent HB hotel (Tenerife). If you can become un-veggie for your time away you might have a better chance of remaining closer to ketosis (look out for those breakfast pastries though! :eek:)

Oh bugger! What was I saying about being veggie for 18 years??!! That will be until I drank the strawberry tetras then!
Will be letting my CDC know about the non veggie strawberry tetras tomorrow........
I now have a huge choice of banana or chocolate tetras twice a day at work then - although an additional choice of 1 wasn't a lifesaver anyway!
Thanks for letting me know.
X

I remember every tiniest detail of the first non veggie thing I had... I was going to be living in another country where being veggie was neither part of the culture, nor part of the living arrangements, and I decided to turn omnivorous, and my head was saying 'do it', but my heart was repulsed!!

I sliced some fresh chicken, made a sandwich out of it, and drove to a country lane and had a long conversation with myself before having my first nibble! I was nervous and thought it might be disasterous, I might throw up, etc etc... after the first nibble, the sandwich had disappeared in seconds and I was liking my fingers!!:eatdrink023:...didn't try anything else for the first few weeks, and nothing other than chicken for a couple of months, but it turned out to be extremely easy!

in hindsight, all sorts of areas of my life might have been different if I'd stayed veggie though.. that probably sounds extreme, but I think it's true.

..if I can do CD without it causing huge difficulties, then I can be veggie.....

Vx

thanks boardwitless, I'm going to majorca, don't think they'll be too big on quorn and tofu ;) think I'll give it a go, not going to eat shedloads so hopefully won't upset my tummy too much. I worried about those breakfast pastries + fresh bread, I'm thinking maybe it would be wise to have a pack in the morning to, and just have protein dinner, altho all the same temptations will be there then too :confused: I soo need to sort my mind out before then and have anti-bingeing + anti-carb strategies in place :) worried because a holiday was where I lost it last time I lost weight, and I do not intend to do that again :sigh:

V, I am sooo going to be having conversations with myself each time I eat meat, they're already going on in my head now. mmm gonna have to do some mindmapping and work out where I stand on this :)

thanks boardwitless, I'm going to majorca, don't think they'll be too big on quorn and tofu ;) think I'll give it a go, not going to eat shedloads so hopefully won't upset my tummy too much. I worried about those breakfast pastries + fresh bread, I'm thinking maybe it would be wise to have a pack in the morning to, and just have protein dinner, altho all the same temptations will be there then too :confused: I soo need to sort my mind out before then and have anti-bingeing + anti-carb strategies in place :) worried because a holiday was where I lost it last time I lost weight, and I do not intend to do that again :sigh:

Can you not do CD while you're there?? with bars, non-strawb tetras, and soups/shakes in your room??

Vx

yep certainly could, that's the other option. I would feel like I was depriving myself tho, which I know is the wrong attitude, and I should think 'what is my weight depriving me of', but I associate holidays with relaxing the boundaries a bit in many ways, including food. At the same time I would like to give the protein thing a go, to know I can be in control around food, I should stay in ketosis without feeling that I'm going without (and maybe rebelling with a big binge!). mmm got a few weeks before I go, I'm off to do some thinking now, and will decide 100% before and have strategies in place if I do go for the protein. Thanks for the input :)

hi
I;m actually thinking of going veggie when I'm off CD.
As a mum to two meat eating children and a very carniverous hubbie i am still preparing alot of meals. Since about two weeks into the diet though, the smell of meat cooking is revolting to me.

DS asked for a bacon sandwich for breakfast today and all I could smell while it was cooking was pig poo!!!!!!!!!!

It has totaly changed my outlook. I am really craving fish as well which I couldn't stomach before. I have a long way to go yet before i start to refeed, but it will be interesting when Iget there.

Does anyone else find that food smells really odd?:confused:

yes Linny...

My OH has been cooking the most wonderful meals.. steak, chops, curries etc, just for himself... he's been great... so I've been giving him one little pleasure by making out like I'm really missing out, and the food he's cooking looks and smells delicious, and I envy him! .... the truth though:

IT SMELLS REVOLTING!!! Hahahahahaha!!!

:D :8855:

It just smells of blood, bacteria, and generally hanging!! Hahaha!! Of course, there he is feeling proud of himself with his prime cuts of serloin delicately prepared!! So Im going to keep my thoughts to myself - he's been so good about the whole thing! so.. sshhhh! It can be our little secret! ;)

Vx

Back