venturing to a meeting tonight as SW won the toss!

giraffegirl

I have flipped a coin and deceided that I really need some help with this weight loss lark so am taking the plunge at Slimming World in Burnham tonight ... should I be scared?:eek:

Nothing to be scared about at all - everyone is there for the same purpose!

Despite many rumours, your weight will never be read out - the only person who sees it is the person who writes it down and the consultant.

Good luck and have fun!

Fab!
Don't be scared, you'll be fine.
There's a lot to take in but just read your book over and over and it will soon become second nature.
Stay to group and enjoy it :)

I have a feeling I did SW at some point in the past and did quite well with it - its just that daunting feeling you get when you walk in .... i will be a big brave girl!!

Hey Giraffegirl,
I'm originally from Burnham/Taplow, what a small world! Moved to Lincolnshire 6 years ago and can honestly say I don't miss living that close to Slough LOL

Good luck

Lol mastiffmum - if i shift some weight maybe i can run away! I have enlisted my friend to come along with me tonight and we are diving in by buying 12 weeks tonight so NO EXCUSES!! I just want to be able to feel less like my internal organs are being squashed and buy clothes in places other than milletts! Both of our families go away at the same time of year to the same area ( we don;t holiday together though) and i seriously don't want to look at photo's again and have the urge to draw on myself with magic markers!

I was so nervous before my first meeting (as I rarely do anything on my own anyway, let alone walking into a room full of people and declaring my weight problems!) but everyone was so friendly and helpful - it was completely worth it. You'll do fine! Good luck with the plan and hope it all goes well over the next few weeks :)

Emily

Thanks Luhluhloser - am actually quite excited about it on the quiet! First day of the rest of my skinnier life and all that! Lets hope we all ahve some superb successes!!!

honestly you really won't regret it, SW is part of my normal everyday eating, and has become second nature. I have met some really good friends at group, everyone is in the same boat, theres always some good foody (not so foody) discussions. The food taster evenings are excellent, they are definately full of new ideas.

Good luck and have fun

Helen xxx

wow suplizi - your weight loss is brilliant! i am so inspired by all you lovelies out there!!! Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. If i stick at the forums I think my motivation will stay this time.

No - you shouldn't be scared. The consultants are all lovely (well the 4 I've had anyway) and I always leave a meeting feeling inspired for the rest of the week. Well done for taking the first step!

Good luck with your first meeting!

Here's what to expect so you are a bit prepared.

You will need to fill in a new members form, basic information stuff, like your name and where you live and all that sort of shenanigans. When you have done that, you will be enrolled and pay your membership fee. There's an offer on at the moment where if you buy a 12 week countdown you get 2 weeks free plus your membership fee paid - but thats quite an outlay for anyone, its £49.50, but DOES have the benefit of keeping you on track for 12 weeks. Be aware if you do go for this that you need to tell them any holidays you will need to book off during that time in advance.

If you dont want to do that, which would be entirely understandable, you can either pay weekly OR for 6 weeks at a time. You will have to pay the membership fee with either of these two options, the 6 week countdown does however save you a weeks worth of fees.

Once you are all paid up you will be weighed and asked your height etc. The person weighing you (often a designated group member who DOES act confidentially) will write down your start weight in your book, along with your "Club 10" weight. This is the point where you will have lost 10% of your current weight, and is celebrated because of the health benefits that losing 10% of your weight brings. You get a free week to celebrate (although it takes a few weeks once you get there before SW send you your voucher!).

Once that is all done, you may be invited to the New Member talk, or that may be done after the "Image Therapy" session.

The New Member talk is basically an explanation of how the plan works, what the basic rules are. It doesnt take too long but if you have any questions about what you hear, ask away!

Image Therapy varies a little from group to group, but essentially will be a discussion of the weeks gains and losses *, Slimmer of the Week, and various other awards given out, and discussions on how the plan has gone for people that week. Sometimes if there is a new low syn or free product on the market, that will be brought to your attention during this time too.
From time to time, the group will have a "taster" night where members are invited to bring along low syn foods they have made and enjoyed so that others can test them and get inspiration. It is not compulsory to bring food but its a nice way to share ideas. That wont be happening tonight though, so dont worry!

If you havent had the new member talk before image therapy, you will have it afterwards. Before or after usually depends on how well staffed the group is, if the consultant can get away from "Weigh and Pay" because there are volunteers to help out, then it may well happen before Image Therapy. You will find, starting tonight, that there are quite a few of you all new together, New Year groups are the busiest times for the groups as everyone who has resolved to lose weight joins!

You will come away with a lot to take on board, but dont worry! It will soon become second nature to you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!!!

*may involve clapping

madamelaminx - can you come round and do it for me? Lol - thank you for the heads up!
Well done on your loss! A-MAY-ZING!!! Another inspiration for me.
hel10683 - thank you - am a vision of serenity now!

Good luck with your first meeting!

Here's what to expect so you are a bit prepared.

You will need to fill in a new members form, basic information stuff, like your name and where you live and all that sort of shenanigans. When you have done that, you will be enrolled and pay your membership fee. There's an offer on at the moment where if you buy a 12 week countdown you get 2 weeks free plus your membership fee paid - but thats quite an outlay for anyone, its £49.50, but DOES have the benefit of keeping you on track for 12 weeks. Be aware if you do go for this that you need to tell them any holidays you will need to book off during that time in advance.

If you dont want to do that, which would be entirely understandable, you can either pay weekly OR for 6 weeks at a time. You will have to pay the membership fee with either of these two options, the 6 week countdown does however save you a weeks worth of fees.

Once you are all paid up you will be weighed and asked your height etc. The person weighing you (often a designated group member who DOES act confidentially) will write down your start weight in your book, along with your "Club 10" weight. This is the point where you will have lost 10% of your current weight, and is celebrated because of the health benefits that losing 10% of your weight brings. You get a free week to celebrate (although it takes a few weeks once you get there before SW send you your voucher!).

Once that is all done, you may be invited to the New Member talk, or that may be done after the "Image Therapy" session.

The New Member talk is basically an explanation of how the plan works, what the basic rules are. It doesnt take too long but if you have any questions about what you hear, ask away!

Image Therapy varies a little from group to group, but essentially will be a discussion of the weeks gains and losses *, Slimmer of the Week, and various other awards given out, and discussions on how the plan has gone for people that week. Sometimes if there is a new low syn or free product on the market, that will be brought to your attention during this time too.
From time to time, the group will have a "taster" night where members are invited to bring along low syn foods they have made and enjoyed so that others can test them and get inspiration. It is not compulsory to bring food but its a nice way to share ideas. That wont be happening tonight though, so dont worry!

If you havent had the new member talk before image therapy, you will have it afterwards. Before or after usually depends on how well staffed the group is, if the consultant can get away from "Weigh and Pay" because there are volunteers to help out, then it may well happen before Image Therapy. You will find, starting tonight, that there are quite a few of you all new together, New Year groups are the busiest times for the groups as everyone who has resolved to lose weight joins!

You will come away with a lot to take on board, but dont worry! It will soon become second nature to you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!!!

*may involve clapping

You were totally spon on! I really enjoyed it and am MOTIVATED!!!

Back