• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Vertical Stripes

malaika

Lover of Extra Easy
S: 11st8lb C: 10st6lb G: 9st6lb BMI: 25.9 Loss: 1st2lb(9.88%)
Did anyone watch QI last night?
Apparently most people believe that vertical stripes appear more slimming and that horizontal stripes make you look fat. I am one of those, and have always avoided horizontal stripes for that reason.
It has now been discovered that the opposite is true. Very interesting... now I can buy the clothes I have avoided all these years! ;)

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

Woodsylou

Silver Member
S: 13st6.5lb C: 13st6.5lb G: 9st11lb BMI: 32.4 Loss: 0st0lb(0%)
i don't overly agree with this, it depends on the person. some people look fabulous in horizontal/vertical stripes and others REALLY don't! i think you have to try it on and see how you feel.

malaika

Lover of Extra Easy
S: 11st8lb C: 10st6lb G: 9st6lb BMI: 25.9 Loss: 1st2lb(9.88%)
Yep, you are right.... I have always avoided horizontal stripes, so never even tried them... and it's no use asking my OH if anything looks ok.... he always say great... even if I wore a sack.. maybe he is scared to say otherwise... a bit like the "Does my bum look big in this?" He always has said no, but he lies! :D

funcurls

Never gets tired of SW!
G: 10st10lb
Interesting though!! I'm very busty and have always avoided horizontal stripes for that reason!! But I will try something horizontal on and see what I think now I've heard this! There seem to be a lot more horizontal than vertical striped pieces around!!X

I just bought an Ulla Popken top with horizontal stripes from eBay. I didn't think about the optical effect - I just liked the colours.

It was dead cheap and almost brand new - I will be wearing it with increased confidence now I know it will make me look slimmer!!!

(Actually, it probably won't, it's too much to ask, but I will enjoy wearing it anyway!)

Harry'sMom07

Silver Member
S: 14st3.0lb C: 13st11.5lb G: 11st0.0lb BMI: 29.9 Loss: 0st5.5lb(2.76%)
I wear horizontal stripes quite a bit - even when I was fatter. I even told my Mom about the possibility that they may not make her look bigger than she is at the weekend - so she tried on a nautical style top and looked fab! But you're right, it does depend on the person/clothing.

Laddiesboy

I ♥ Slimming World :)
S: 24st0lb C: 17st0lb G: 13st12lb BMI: 30.6 Loss: 7st0lb(29.17%)
The science behind it is sound enough, so scientifically speaking it is true.

But in real life ... ?

I have always preferred horizonatal stripes to vertical, but did one make me look fatter than the other? I would say, and I am quoting an advert I saw once, it was my fat that made me look fat!

Anyone who is worried enough to choose or not choose a top based on which way the stripes run would just do better to get on a diet or healthy eating plan and exercise lol.

The other thing is I think it is how you 'feel' in a certain outfit that reflects how you stand and walk, which in turn would affect how you look to others. Wear whatever you are comfortable in :)

julie19

Silver Member
G: 10st0lb
I remember a programme about this years ago, they were saying that vertical stripes can make people look bigger because they enhance the bulges but horizontal didn't - I didn't & still don't get it - but I have always either, as long as I have thought they clothes looked good then I haven't bothered too much

CamilleBates

Alomst there :)
S: 12st2lb C: 9st2lb G: 9st7lb BMI: 23.4 Loss: 3st0lb(24.71%)
I saw this the other night.... I loved Alan's take on it :) Are people going to think you're thinner because you're wearing Horizontal stripes... because bigger people can't get away with them?? It went round in circles for a while, in typical QI fashion LOL :)

I have to say I don't wear Horizontal stripes, I don't wear vertical ones either though.... just because I don't 'DO' stripes ;)

Shirleen

Gold Member
S: 21st12.5lb C: 21st4lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 45.3 Loss: 0st8.5lb(2.77%)
I think the width of the stripes are important though because thick bands of horizontal stripes will accentuate muffin tops!

Kikikisses

Silver Member
S: 13st7lb C: 10st6lb G: 9st4lb BMI: 26.7 Loss: 3st1lb(22.75%)
I think the width of the stripes are important though because thick bands of horizontal stripes will accentuate muffin tops!
Agreed :p

Personally I don't wear stripes, they don't suit me and I think that in some senses it may be true because if you're wearing stripes and they're 'bulging' around curves it can have an unwanted effect.

I say wear what makes you feel happy and comfortable either way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Syn Values 3
Lighter Life Forum 7