Vertical Stripes

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by malaika, 8 April 2010 Social URL.

1. malaika

malaika Lover of Extra Easy

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st8lb(22.22%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Did anyone watch QI last night?
    Apparently most people believe that vertical stripes appear more slimming and that horizontal stripes make you look fat. I am one of those, and have always avoided horizontal stripes for that reason.
    It has now been discovered that the opposite is true. Very interesting... now I can buy the clothes I have avoided all these years! ;)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. maypole

maypole loves to eat

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I saw that & was wearing vertical stripes at the time!!

4. Woodsylou

Woodsylou Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    i don't overly agree with this, it depends on the person. some people look fabulous in horizontal/vertical stripes and others REALLY don't! i think you have to try it on and see how you feel.

5. louisedan

louisedan Gold Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    I agree Woodsylou-the pictures shown looked the same to me-I didn't think one looked fatter than the other!!

6. malaika

malaika Lover of Extra Easy

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st8lb(22.22%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Yep, you are right.... I have always avoided horizontal stripes, so never even tried them... and it's no use asking my OH if anything looks ok.... he always say great... even if I wore a sack.. maybe he is scared to say otherwise... a bit like the "Does my bum look big in this?" He always has said no, but he lies! :D

7. funcurls

funcurls Never gets tired of SW!

Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Interesting though!! I'm very busty and have always avoided horizontal stripes for that reason!! But I will try something horizontal on and see what I think now I've heard this! There seem to be a lot more horizontal than vertical striped pieces around!!X

8. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I just bought an Ulla Popken top with horizontal stripes from eBay. I didn't think about the optical effect - I just liked the colours.

It was dead cheap and almost brand new - I will be wearing it with increased confidence now I know it will make me look slimmer!!!

(Actually, it probably won't, it's too much to ask, but I will enjoy wearing it anyway!)

9. Harry'sMom07

Harry'sMom07 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st3.0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5.5lb(2.76%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I wear horizontal stripes quite a bit - even when I was fatter. I even told my Mom about the possibility that they may not make her look bigger than she is at the weekend - so she tried on a nautical style top and looked fab! But you're right, it does depend on the person/clothing.

10. Laddiesboy

Laddiesboy I ♥ Slimming World :)

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    17st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st12lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(29.17%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    The science behind it is sound enough, so scientifically speaking it is true.

But in real life ... ?

I have always preferred horizonatal stripes to vertical, but did one make me look fatter than the other? I would say, and I am quoting an advert I saw once, it was my fat that made me look fat!

Anyone who is worried enough to choose or not choose a top based on which way the stripes run would just do better to get on a diet or healthy eating plan and exercise lol.

The other thing is I think it is how you 'feel' in a certain outfit that reflects how you stand and walk, which in turn would affect how you look to others. Wear whatever you are comfortable in :)

11. tinkerbellsmum

tinkerbellsmum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    healthy eating
    to true hun

12. julie19

julie19 Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimmingworld
    I remember a programme about this years ago, they were saying that vertical stripes can make people look bigger because they enhance the bulges but horizontal didn't - I didn't & still don't get it - but I have always either, as long as I have thought they clothes looked good then I haven't bothered too much

13. CamilleBates

CamilleBates Alomst there :)

Start Weight:
    12st2lb
    Current Weight:
    9st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st0lb(24.71%)
    Diet:
    SW
    I saw this the other night.... I loved Alan's take on it :) Are people going to think you're thinner because you're wearing Horizontal stripes... because bigger people can't get away with them?? It went round in circles for a while, in typical QI fashion LOL :)

I have to say I don't wear Horizontal stripes, I don't wear vertical ones either though.... just because I don't 'DO' stripes ;)

14. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    I like spots :p

15. Shirleen

Shirleen Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    21st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.5lb(2.77%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I think the width of the stripes are important though because thick bands of horizontal stripes will accentuate muffin tops!

16. Kikikisses

Kikikisses Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    3st1lb(22.75%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Agreed :p

Personally I don't wear stripes, they don't suit me and I think that in some senses it may be true because if you're wearing stripes and they're 'bulging' around curves it can have an unwanted effect.

I say wear what makes you feel happy and comfortable either way.

17. StripedDaisy

StripedDaisy A sucker for a key change

Diet:
    Slim & Save
    I love horizontal stripes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rarely leave the house without wearing them!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.