Vertical Stripes

malaika

Lover of Extra Easy
Did anyone watch QI last night?
Apparently most people believe that vertical stripes appear more slimming and that horizontal stripes make you look fat. I am one of those, and have always avoided horizontal stripes for that reason.
It has now been discovered that the opposite is true. Very interesting... now I can buy the clothes I have avoided all these years! ;)

i don't overly agree with this, it depends on the person. some people look fabulous in horizontal/vertical stripes and others REALLY don't! i think you have to try it on and see how you feel.

Yep, you are right.... I have always avoided horizontal stripes, so never even tried them... and it's no use asking my OH if anything looks ok.... he always say great... even if I wore a sack.. maybe he is scared to say otherwise... a bit like the "Does my bum look big in this?" He always has said no, but he lies! :D

Interesting though!! I'm very busty and have always avoided horizontal stripes for that reason!! But I will try something horizontal on and see what I think now I've heard this! There seem to be a lot more horizontal than vertical striped pieces around!!X

I just bought an Ulla Popken top with horizontal stripes from eBay. I didn't think about the optical effect - I just liked the colours.

It was dead cheap and almost brand new - I will be wearing it with increased confidence now I know it will make me look slimmer!!!

(Actually, it probably won't, it's too much to ask, but I will enjoy wearing it anyway!)

I wear horizontal stripes quite a bit - even when I was fatter. I even told my Mom about the possibility that they may not make her look bigger than she is at the weekend - so she tried on a nautical style top and looked fab! But you're right, it does depend on the person/clothing.

The science behind it is sound enough, so scientifically speaking it is true.

But in real life ... ?

I have always preferred horizonatal stripes to vertical, but did one make me look fatter than the other? I would say, and I am quoting an advert I saw once, it was my fat that made me look fat!

Anyone who is worried enough to choose or not choose a top based on which way the stripes run would just do better to get on a diet or healthy eating plan and exercise lol.

The other thing is I think it is how you 'feel' in a certain outfit that reflects how you stand and walk, which in turn would affect how you look to others. Wear whatever you are comfortable in :)

I remember a programme about this years ago, they were saying that vertical stripes can make people look bigger because they enhance the bulges but horizontal didn't - I didn't & still don't get it - but I have always either, as long as I have thought they clothes looked good then I haven't bothered too much

I saw this the other night.... I loved Alan's take on it :) Are people going to think you're thinner because you're wearing Horizontal stripes... because bigger people can't get away with them?? It went round in circles for a while, in typical QI fashion LOL :)

I have to say I don't wear Horizontal stripes, I don't wear vertical ones either though.... just because I don't 'DO' stripes ;)

I think the width of the stripes are important though because thick bands of horizontal stripes will accentuate muffin tops!

I think the width of the stripes are important though because thick bands of horizontal stripes will accentuate muffin tops!

Agreed :p

Personally I don't wear stripes, they don't suit me and I think that in some senses it may be true because if you're wearing stripes and they're 'bulging' around curves it can have an unwanted effect.

I say wear what makes you feel happy and comfortable either way.

I love horizontal stripes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rarely leave the house without wearing them!

Back