Vlcd and gym

YumyMumy

Crawling to the finish!
Does anybody follow sole source and manage the gym 5 times a week? I've done Vlcd before but I'm very active now would it be detrimental to me? Thanks

Hi

Yes quite a few on here exercise daily either gradually building up levels over time or continuing with an existing routine. Just remember to hydrate well and allow time off for the first few days of starting as you normally feel pretty low energy then.

CD Head office apparently recommend against Biggest Loser style exercise routines (excessive exercise) as it can disrupt the electrolyte imbalance and risk muscle damage which can include heart damage (as it is also a muscle).

Hi Yummy Mummy,

when I remember how much I enjoy the gym, getting there 5 times a week is no effort..when you say 'very active' what exactly are you referring to in terms of intensity and duration?

Bella

bellefrogette said:
Hi Yummy Mummy,

when I remember how much I enjoy the gym, getting there 5 times a week is no effort..when you say 'very active' what exactly are you referring to in terms of intensity and duration?

Bella

I probably do around 45 mins high intensity, cross trainer and back, to the point that my hair is sticking to my face :0) I lift quite a few weights to arms legs stomach ect and I normally go 5 sometimes 6 times a week, as often as possible basically.

Thanks for taking time to give me advice

i suppose one person's high intensity is another person's impossible and a further person's walk in the park. i think it's easy to describe high intensity in equipment sense.

when using the cross trainer what level do you use, how much effort do you put into it from 1-being easy to you and 10 being - extremely hard. do you monitor your heart rate, what is the BMP and how does it fit into your 85% effort for ages/rate and does it stay in your aerobic workout or do you go anerobic? how long do you use this equipment for etc.

for weights what kg weights do you use and what do you do with them. do you use the machines or free weights? what exercises do you do for you legs with weights?

an example of me would be:-

i can run 4.5 miles at 11 mins mile pace or 4 miles at 10 mins mile pace and my BMP tend to stay around 150 no higher. if i do interval and speed work it goes higher and i can enter my anerobic zone which can put more pressure on your heart to work more efficiently. if i am aiming to do 10 or more miles i pace myself more and run 'easy' as it's more a test of endurance than anything else.

weights. if i do a body pump class i use a bar with weights. i can squat 20kg, i put 15kg on my bar when i work my triceps or biceps. my chest muscles are not as strong and i can only use 10kg. i lunge without weight as i find balance when lunging a problem and lungeing is challenging enough as it is. i use 15kg when i do the clean lifts.

i do not use weights when i do a core class as that is challenging enough but i push hard and focus on engaging the right muscles.

in zumba or aerobic classes like combat i always choose the highest intensity i can with bouncing, jumps, kicks etc.

i've had my hair cut of lately and keep wondering if the ceiling is leaking as the sweat which used to soak into my hair now drops on me.

Last edited:
great things said:
i suppose one person's high intensity is another person's impossible and a further person's walk in the park. i think it's easy to describe high intensity in equipment sense.

when using the cross trainer what level do you use, how much effort do you put into it from 1-being easy to you and 10 being - extremely hard. do you monitor your heart rate, what is the BMP and how does it fit into your 85% effort for ages/rate and does it stay in your aerobic workout or do you go anerobic? how long do you use this equipment for etc.

for weights what kg weights do you use and what do you do with them. do you use the machines or free weights? what exercises do you do for you legs with weights?

an example of me would be:-

i can run 4.5 miles at 11 mins mile pace or 4 miles at 10 mins mile pace and my BMP tend to stay around 150 no higher. if i do interval and speed work it goes higher and i can enter my anerobic zone which can put more pressure on your heart to work more efficiently. if i am aiming to do 10 or more miles i pace myself more and run 'easy' as it's more a test of endurance than anything else.

weights. if i do a body pump class i use a bar with weights. i can squat 20kg, i put 15kg on my bar when i work my triceps or biceps. my chest muscles are not as strong and i can only use 10kg. i lunge without weight as i find balance when lunging a problem and lungeing is challenging enough as it is. i use 15kg when i do the clean lifts.

i do not use weights when i do a core class as that is challenging enough but i push hard and focus on engaging the right muscles.

in zumba or aerobic classes like combat i always choose the highest intensity i can with bouncing, jumps, kicks etc.

i've had my hair cut of lately and keep wondering if the ceiling is leaking as the sweat which used to soak into my hair now drops on me.

Yea haha I know how it feels with the sweat!!! My back tends to Be soaked and and sweat runs down my nose and side of head. I try to increase intensity as often as I can. Triceps and biceps are really weak probably only like 10kg 2 sets of 20, legs 25kg on adductor and the other one?? Haha not sure what they're called. I do around 200 sit ups. Out of 20 levels on machines I'm currently on 5, could probably dip into 6 if I was bot around alot of people and didn't mind groaning out loud! I take pole dancing on Tuesdays so that requires abit of strength upper body.

I will continue to exercise, but really I just want to make sure that I will still be able to progress fitness wise, and doing Vlcd wouldn't just make me skinny as opposed to fit, I've done that before and it didn't work for me x

no you'll be fit. contrary to popular belief i did get muscles on ss. people say you can't but i did. i think your body access your fat quicker when you are a few weeks into exercise on ss and your body is used to exercise to start with. just always be very aware of your body's own needs. i'm reaching the point on the 810 where i know i can't continue on it. it's too low for what i really want to do and it's impacting on my energy levels, i'm feeling hungry and craving certain foods. if i leave eating too long i'm starting to go dizzy. so you do need to know your body but i've never met anyone really that if they're used to exercise can't read their body. i've know people ignore what they're reading which ends up in injury.

i'm very toned looking and look slimmer than i am. my legs are just pure muscle apart from the loose skin which i can't do anything about. i think this is my issue right now with my body. i've loose skin and it's just not going to tone up, it's loose as it's stretched over the years. so i'm finding this hard to accept and wanting to loose more and it's not happening and i'm loosing patience now and getting fed up.

any way slightly off topic there :)

just always listen to your body and do what it's telling you to do. it's really important as it will save you from injury and health problems.

p.s i wouldn't worry about upping the weights as you do not want to end up miss UK bodybuilding finalist 2011! keep the weights the same but alter the way you use them. slow it right down and feel the weights more. do another set etc.

that's the thing with the core class i do. everything is very slow and very focused on which muscles you are using, pulling in and keeping tight for support of your back and your body. sometimes lower and slower is better.

..... just always be very aware of your body's own needs........ you do need to know your body but i've never met anyone really that if they're used to exercise can't read their body. i've know people ignore what they're reading which ends up in injury.

just always listen to your body and do what it's telling you to do. it's really important as it will save you from injury and health problems.

Well said Nikki!

Thank you for replies. I think tomorrow I will give ssing an attempt, have a weeks worth of packs, hopefully my routine should stay pretty much the same and if I can progress great!! I do tens to ignore my body when exercising it's true but one thing I won't ignore is dizziness as I have suffered a mysterious seizure in the past so am very cautious where my motor sense are concerned :0) thanks for advice x

I probably do around 45 mins high intensity, cross trainer and back, to the point that my hair is sticking to my face :0) I lift quite a few weights to arms legs stomach ect and I normally go 5 sometimes 6 times a week, as often as possible basically.

Thanks for taking time to give me advice

Yummy mummy, this actually sounds very doable and you know it brings back memories of the good times. I loved and still love weight strength training ..and it does not sound as if youare doing too much....the thing I have read from some on SS is that after the work out they are hungry , regardless of being in ketosis..so it might be something to be aware of and maybe ...if you experience that, have a bar in your gym bag....do you use free weights mainly or machines?

but honestly if you are well atuned to your bodies signals, its unlikely you'll get lost in an endorphine high.

when you start ss take it easy at the gym, even though you are used to it you might find you go dizzy or light headed. i never did but other people have experienced this. i would say that maybe adding milk into you ss plan (not strictly ss but not fully ss+) but be a good way of protecting your body if you don't have any bars, which i'm assuming as you are just starting out you won't have. i sometimes did this after a workout. just a small glass of skimmed milk, 100ml say, which has loads of nutrients in it to protect your body and help you recover quicker. you'll have burnt off the cals for it not to matter as 100ml will be probably no more than 20cals. also i'd swap your workout around. do your weights first after a small warm up and then some cardio. it is well known that weights can make you feel hungry whereas cardio staves off the hunger.

it is well known that weights can make you feel hungry whereas cardio staves off the hunger.

Hi Great things

, how well known? Its not the nature of any particular workout that creates hunger per se, surely its just the level of intensity...and the person..in truth I think some of those hunger signals might have more to do with dehydration.How does cardio differ?

Bella

That's for more details. I am a little worried about hunger but I think I'll try my best to have my shake after work out to try and help it. And of course gallons of water :0) I'm anxious already :0) x

I'm doing two personal training per week, I eat about 1500 on those days, a good solid breakfast. I do SS+ on fri/sat/sun which are the days I don't do much exercise. I am losing weight and toning up.

Hi Great things

, how well known? Its not the nature of any particular workout that creates hunger per se, surely its just the level of intensity...and the person..in truth I think some of those hunger signals might have more to do with dehydration.How does cardio differ?

Bella

in exercise mags etc. it's the weights that burn more fat and build more muscle than the cardio in workouts. it can make you feel hungrier than a cardio session as you tend to drink more water during cardio as you feel thirstier and that tends to stop you feeling as hungry as well as the cardio session itself for some odd reason. give it a try!

Most important thing to do is listen to your body!

I was (until before Christmas) a gym.goer... and I used to have 4 packs (ss+ with milk) this was recommended by my cdc. )

Take it easy the first week and see how you go. :)

was talking to mu cdc today and she said official guidelines are:- if you are a gym goer before doing ss then take it easier for the first 2 weeks. after that you should be fine. if you do not do anything it would be foolish to start.

Back