VLCD v Low Carb Diet ???

ButtonsTheSuperCat

Silver Member
Will you lose weight just as quickly on a low carb diet as you would on a VLCD (with meal replacements)?

I'm on a VLCD and notice that my meal replacements equal a very low carb diet. Sometimes I miss 'real food', esp meat, so wondered if I'd lose just as much weight on a low carb diet? (just for a few weeks before joining WW for a more sensible, healthy diet)

Has anyone tried both and can compare??

Hey, last year for lent I gave up meat, just for fun to see if I could. I actually ended up losing carbs to, just because it was easier than seeing if they had meat products in them. so on just fruit, veg, veggie proteins etc I lost 2 stone. But I was also going to the gym. I don't think its as fast. Wondering though if its not a more healthy natural way to do it.. I mean for me healthy would be more important than fast if I was not turning 30 in june lol.

Not tried both though really, so I'm not sure. I just think that with food, to eat all your vitamins and minerals etc like your 5 a day there will be more calories than in the shakes.

Cambridge diet as a step one that has two parts, sole source and sole source plus. The plus is a choice of some milk or a small meal I have been having a small amount of meat and veg for my meal. Tomorrow is my week one weigh day. So I will write on my signature what I loose, and on my diary. we can find out if my meal replacements with a small amount of food is a lot different from yours and other people who are not taking any food. I guess then you can decide if maybe that is a good option for you.

Since my meal is around 200 calories I would think I would be loosing less weight than someone not having that. we will see :)

Any diet with food is going to have slower losses than a VLCD if for no other reason than the calorie intake is higher than a VLCD

Back