Vlcd without ketosis

munchbunch

Gold Member
I'm just curious about this , I'm Actually doing s&s at the mo .

Iv read posts here and there where people say vlcd can be done without ketosis ??
Is this where you don't follow a plan as such and do a low calorie intake ? Are there any of you out there than do this ?

What would the effects of not being in ketosis be?

Thanks in advance

Oh hope I'm. Not in trouble for posting thing just read the stickies , edited post !!

munchbunch said:

Iv read posts here and there where people say vlcd can be done without ketosis ??
Is this where you don't follow a plan as such and do a low calorie intake ? Are there any of you out there than do this ?

Thanks in advance

Oh hope I'm. Not in trouble for posting thing just read the stickies , edited post !!

At the bottom of the s&s leaflet it says about Using 2 packs instead of 2 meals and just following a low cal diet, if a VLCD isnt suitable-but in order for something to be a VLCD, my understanding is that its less than 800 but it must be an 'official one' to be discussed on here, and will put you into ketosis! I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong x

I never read that I was just curious as jumping different sections of the forum earliera I thought I'd ask

Thankyou x

If your carb intake is too high youll be out of ketosis, if for instance you had too much food with your packs or a couple of extra packs then youd be out of ketosis. Youd still be in the VLCD range, youd still lose pretty much as much weight but you wouldnt have the benefits of ketosis, youd probably be hungry, have less energy etc. You dont HAVE to be in ketosis to successfully follow a VLCD like S&S it just makes it easier.

Personally I think too many people worry too much about ketosis.

Starlight said:
If your carb intake is too high youll be out of ketosis, if for instance you had too much food with your packs or a couple of extra packs then youd be out of ketosis. Youd still be in the VLCD range, youd still lose pretty much as much weight but you wouldnt have the benefits of ketosis, youd probably be hungry, have less energy etc. You dont HAVE to be in ketosis to successfully follow a VLCD like S&S it just makes it easier.

Personally I think too many people worry too much about ketosis.

Thanks for that like I said I was just curious tbh starlight x

I have done a VLCD without ketosis - it was primarily carb based. I was on a high, did not feel hungry, and had lots of energy on it and I lost lots of weight at the time.

Thanks in advance

Why would you wanna do a VLCD without ketosis? Actually, a lot of people try to do ketosis without being on a VLCD (Super high-protein, medium fat, very low carb). Ketosis simply means your body uses fat as its main source for energy, which is simply how you lose weight.

Why would you wanna do a VLCD without ketosis?

Some people may love their carbs too much. Or perhaps there may be medical reasons why they shouldn't go into ketosis.

ketosis protects your lean muscle mass (including your heart!) while being on starvation calories- personally wouldn't risk it but each to their own!

Back