warning!!!! Now containing graphic pictures..

ColJack

Gold Member
V slicers are sharp... use the guard / holder.. it's there for a reason..

I was just making some coleslaw and was holding the cabbage in my hand because it kept falling out of the holder, and managed to take the tip of my middle finger clean off... :eek:

There are pictures lower down so don't scroll if you don't wanna see...!!!

For an idea of how bad, if you bite your nails, hold your hand flat and I've taken the tip off from just ahead of the nail straight down...the end of my finger is now flat about the size of a 5p piece...

Luckily I was using the fine slice insert or I'd have taken a good bit more off....

It was only a matter of time as it's a family curse.. :sigh:
My grandad crushed the index and middle finger of his right hand just above the knuckle in a press ( and had to have them amputated at the knuckle ), and my dad lost the tips of the same 2 fingers when replacing a heavy manhole cover and it slipped from his grasp..
I've only taken the very tip of the middle finger so with any luck if I have a son, it should miss him entirely.. :)

And yes, I did pick the bit of skin out of the cabbage and finish making it... I'd washed my hands and there was no blood in the bowl;) ( but it did bleed a lot after a few seconds, suprising number of small blood vessels in a finger tip..:D )

Last edited:
Ooh sounds painful. I've just been given a mandolin and have been using it today to make low fat crisps but was a bit scared using it.

DAMN! Ouchie!

it's a bit extreme to lose those few extra ounces though isn't it :)
funily enough it didn't hurt at the time ( i suppose because I took th nerve endings off.. ) but it's throbbing a bit now...

yeah, be careful with that mandolin.. see if they do a guard or holder for it.. or get one that does..
you can use a 'tater peeler for the crisps.. does a good job..

Blooming heck, has it stopped bleeding, are you ok? X

Oh I proper winched reading that! My worse half took the tip of his finger off in school jamming it in the door, his nail grew so it kinda isn't noticeable now xxx

I cauterised it with a red hot spoon i heated on the gas stove... :)

Not really :D I ran it under the tap and put a plaster on it..
It soaked through the first plaster ( and the wad of tissue I was holding over the plaster ) but I've put another one over the top and pulled it tight to apply pressure to it, and it hasn't come through yet..

I must remember to wear some latex gloves when washing up or eating citrus fruit for the next few days or it's going to sting like a mother....

*ouch* .... I feel your pain... I have a C shaped scar on the same finger from when I did the same many moons ago :p -luckily mine hung on by a thread and so it recovered -but hell did it hurt...

I may have to see the doc monday to get it dresses properly and see if I need those skin patches they use.... ( dad had some, it helps the skin to grow back aparently.. )

Ouch - I hope it heals quickly for you

You have helped with my diet as was hungry but feel quite :9529: now!! My fault, can't say I wasn't warned but curiousity got the better of me :eek:

xx

strange that..
it's human nature, hence the normal traffic queues on motorways on the opposite side to the accident, everyone slows down to try and see what happened..

your ticker... are those cats or cooked chickens?

ooooh you poor thing, couldnt resist looking at the pics either.... you should definately get that seen to imagine if it gets infected! Hope it heals ok if i were you i would be passed out and probably covered in my own sick lol take care xx

I may have to see the doc monday to get it dresses properly and see if I need those skin patches they use.... ( dad had some, it helps the skin to grow back aparently.. )

That looks really nasty. I would definitely got to the doctors.

Depends how hungry I am ;)

xx

LOL !!!

ooooh you poor thing, couldnt resist looking at the pics either.... you should definately get that seen to imagine if it gets infected! Hope it heals ok if i were you i would be passed out and probably covered in my own sick lol take care xx
I don't know why but that just made me chuckle... I'd be passed out too, or at least very flustered!

I remember when I was in school (only a couple of years ago) I accidentally "sewed" my index finger with the sewing machine. It wasnt even a sharpe needle either, it was a broken one so blunt as all hell :eek:

there is a brilliant spray that i swear heals the skin, its called no germs...its an instant hand sanitiser but is alcohol free so no sting on cuts etc

my daughter took all the skin ff her hands when running on semi loose chippings, I wanted her to go to casualty as her hand looked like raw steak but she refused, after picking the multiple grit out, soaking it then applying the no germs foam (had no savlon in) i bandaged it and said hospital in the morning if its still raw knowing full well it would be...except it wasnt! the next morning less than 12 hours later there was new skin already closing most of the injury. Sworn by it ever since. If youre out and about today try and pick some up, its a useful thing to have around in general

Back