Water FAQ/Information FYI

Cait

In preparation of starting Cambridge I had some questions about water intake and searched the web and found this. Just a fyi. :)

Water and Weight Loss

Simply drinking more water - but changing neither diet or exercise - will not cause weight loss.
However - unless the body is well hydrated - possible weight loss will be far from optimal.
Why Drink Water?

• Burning or oxidation of fat releases waste products. You need enough water to flush these from your body.
  • The liver requires water in order to process fat. If you are dehydrated you will not burn as much fat.
  • If exercising, you deplete your muscles of glycogen (i.e. stored energy). In order to refuel your muscle, the energy (glucose) must be bound to water.
How Much Water is Enough?

There are many opinions on this with many people touting absolute amounts such as 8 glasses a day. This is not particularly helpful as we come in all shapes and sizes, different kind of climates, and different exercise schedules.
However many of us don't drink enough water, and could benefit from increasing water intake.
Two Methods of Calculating Water Intake

Method 1
Aim for 2 or 3 clear urinations throughout the day. This may sound too explicit, but for a normal healthy adult it is a good benchmark. Method 2
Take your body weight in pounds, divide by two. This gives you a rough estimate in ounces of how much to drink. If you weigh 140 pounds you can aim for 70 ounces (or 8.75 glasses) per day.
Any exercise will require additional water intake.
Do I Gulp It Down?

Water should be consumed evenly throughout the day. If you gulp down a gallon of water at once - most of it will pass straight to your bladder.
Always keep well hydrated!

Blinking 'eck, Cait.... now that's what I call INFORMATION!!! Good going, hun and thank YOU! :)

Great post cait :)

I do have a couple of questions about this for those in the 'know'.

I remember reading that if you were doing a VLCD, you should drink more water as you are not getting the moisture from food.

This one has always slightly confused me as I felt I was getter more fluid with a shake than I would be if I was eating a family sized pack of crisps. Can someone clarify this? Awkward question I know...but always trying to learn :)

Aim for 2 or 3 clear urinations throughout the day
This one shocked me. Does that mean 'go' lots of times, but aim for 2 or 3 of them to be clear, or do people only 'go' 2 or 3 times?

My DH and sons don't seem to go for a wee very often. I thought this was a male thing.

I drink about 2.5-3L of fluid a day (not doing VLCD and fluid is really just a mixture of teas, coffees, water and anything else).

I wee almost hourly when I'm at home. Is this normal?

Hi! I have been struggling with getting all the water down but what is interesting is that since I started CD, I have had far fewer headaches. Normally I use Paramol as a painkiller; it's very good; paracetamol alone has no effect on me and iboprufen doesn't agree with my stomach at all; but am taking far far fewer. Trouble is that you always have to know where the next loo is, with all the waater!
Louise

I must go to the loo a zillion times a day, if I manage my 4 Litres, which I aim for, sometimes its only 2.5, but with that, my urine is usually clear sometime after lunch and stays clear till I sleep. If anyone goes to the loo just 2-3 times a day they obviously have a HUGE bladder or not drinking enough!!

Hi! I have been struggling with getting all the water down but what is interesting is that since I started CD, I have had far fewer headaches. Normally I use Paramol as a painkiller; it's very good; paracetamol alone has no effect on me and iboprufen doesn't agree with my stomach at all; but am taking far far fewer. Trouble is that you always have to know where the next loo is, with all the waater!
Louise

I get much fewer headaches now too. I think it's a combination of the water and the reduction of carbs too.

Dizzy x

Smashing Post x

Back