Water in my ear...

BeckyT

Always trying!
Well I decided to have a long soak in the bath this evening to soothe my aching muscles and I've ended up with water in my ear.

I've tried putting alcohol in it as alcohol is supposed to disperse water however I've made it worse.

I'm feeling sorry for myself as I've got a black tie doo on Thursday and I'm not sure if I'll get a doctors appointment before then. If anybody has any ideas that will help please let me know

I should have just had a shower instead

I usually find that if I lie on the side with the problem then gravity usually shifts it. I've never heard of the alcohol remedy though! :)

stillscrapping said:
I usually find that if I lie on the side with the problem then gravity usually shifts it. I've never heard of the alcohol remedy though! :)

I tired that one first but no joy! I am sooooo feeling sorry for myself!!

I suffer with this a lot. I know it may sound shameful but I can't clean my own ears out at the prodding and scraping inside my ears makes me physically sick. I've also tried that Otex to no avail. When I get a big wax build up I get water in my ears. The thing I do to try and regain hearing is press down on my tragus quite firmly and wiggle it about until the wax moves and lets the water out.

If not... I know this sounds gross as well but hear me out (lol?!).. Get an old tea spoon with a rectanular end and try using the end to scrape the wax out. I had a proper implement to do this with but I ended up losing it and this is the best I could come up with as a replacement.

Hopefully it'll work for you and not make you sick like it does me!

X

Jodieboo said:
I suffer with this a lot. I know it may sound shameful but I can't clean my own ears out at the prodding and scraping inside my ears makes me physically sick. I've also tried that Otex to no avail. When I get a big wax build up I get water in my ears. The thing I do to try and regain hearing is press down on my tragus quite firmly and wiggle it about until the wax moves and lets the water out.

If not... I know this sounds gross as well but hear me out (lol?!).. Get an old tea spoon with a rectanular end and try using the end to scrape the wax out. I had a proper implement to do this with but I ended up losing it and this is the best I could come up with as a replacement.

X

Thank you for the advice... I've just tried wiggling my tragus and it does feel slightly better, I'll keep wiggling it and hopefully it will clear it altogether x

Hope you get it sorted out soon. If I knew you better I'd suggest you need a tap on the head! ;) (Ducks quickly) Sorry, but I couldn't resist it, but I really do hope you can get it sorted soon.

Hope you get it sorted out soon. If I knew you better I'd suggest you need a tap on the head! ;) (Ducks quickly) Sorry, but I couldn't resist it, but I really do hope you can get it sorted soon.

hahahaha, had to read it twice to get the joke but very funny!

Becky, hope you are feeling a bit better this morning!:bighug:

Jodieboo said:

X

Oh I've got to tell you what my consultant advised when cleaning your ears.... Never ever put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear!!! They are self cleaning and all you need to do is to clean the entrance with a tissue wrapped elbow!!!! Ok finger if you must.

The danger is that you push wax and son debris back into the ear canal, this causes the skin to fold over forming a Choleastoma which although isn't a tumour as the 'toma' part suggests it acts like a tumour and it eats into the tissues and bones, it causes extreme dizziness and needs surgical removal. I've had two so I can tell you it's not pleasant, mine were caused by a deformity in my ear as I take his advice very seriously.

The middle ear has thin skin and tiny hairs to facilitate self cleaning.

Oh and back to OP try sitting in a steamy bathroom whilst taps/shower is running hold your head upside down and blow your nose gently, once clear try holding your nose and gently blowing to see if this clears it, this works for temporary deafness caused by colds/cattarrh too. Just do it GENTLY!

Thank you all for the advice...

My ear was painful in the night when I was laid in it however it feels a lot better today.., I'll see how I get on tonight.

Think I'll stick to having a shower from now on!

You will probably need to have your ear syringed. But before you go you should put a few drops of oil (olive oil is best, but any other plain cooking oil would do) into the ear twice a day, to soften the wax and make it easier to syringe.

(And no, you can't substitute Frylight!!!)

You will probably need to have your ear syringed. But before you go you should put a few drops of oil (olive oil is best, but any other plain cooking oil would do) into the ear twice a day, to soften the wax and make it easier to syringe.

(And no, you can't substitute Frylight!!!)

:8855:

Back