Water or No Water?

oasis6918

Gold Member
My weight loss seems to slow down on the weeks I drink lots of water, but everyone knows water is meant to help weight loss. Where am I going wrong?! Does everyone lose more weight when they are drinking lots of water? Tia x

All I can say is I don't drink water, can't stand the stuff, and I've lost 5.5 stone so far. But everyone has different theories on these things! x

Wow that's amazing weight loss, well done! I just don't think water works for me, maybe I retain more than I flush through x

You have to remember weight is not everything.
Correct me if am wrong but are you looking to lose Body fat?

If so then the weight you get from water is obviously not the same
so by saying you're weight loss slows down on the weeks you are drinking lots of water is true

but it is by no means slowing down any fat you are losing each week.
I wouldent worry about water weight as its completly natural, but abit disheartning looking at the scales and seeing little results from that fortnight,

But in fact you have proberly lost a good amount of body fat none the less.
I would say keep up with water if you enjoy it, but don't be disheartend if you see water weight this comes off very very quickly and should not have any noticeble physical apperence.

I never would have looked at it like that, thanks. Maybe if I keep up with the water for more than a week I'l have better losses after a few weeks but then if I'm looking better and feeling better then the fat hopefully will be coming off even if I can't tell to much by the scales x

You body needs water in order to metabolise the fat we burn. So you'll probably burn less fat if you drink less water- and you can always drink No Added Sugar Squash and Tea if you aren't a water fan.

Interesting. I was talking to a lady at the weekend and she said that her body clings to cold water so she drinks gallons of weak tea and that works for her. Has to be hot drinks. I think it's the liquid that counts - doesn't have to be plain water.

Well I'm going to try doing 4 large glasses, plain water and 4 large glasses either weak NAS juice or fizzy flavoured water and it might curb my fizzy craving of Pepsi max.
I appreciate the feedback, my aunty drinks lots of water with a slice of lemon when dieting as it helps better with weight loss than cold water x

oasis6918 said:
Wow that's amazing weight loss, well done! I just don't think water works for me, maybe I retain more than I flush through x

Thank you! I've had this water debate a few times on this site, the 8 glasses a day thing is a myth perpetuated by the bottled water industry, lol.

http://m.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/07/return-8x8-myth

Basically, drink when you're thirsty, but it doesn't have to be water (thank goodness), it can be juice, milk, even tea and coffee, and much of our required fluid intake comes from what we eat. xx

I think drinking water is important when on a diet that said I always have mine with orange squash all be it watery orange squash as I don't like water on its own, its helping me lose weight I feel, plus my skin has never looked better , I used to drink virtually nothing water wise and now I drink a fair bit my skin is looking so much younger. Em

I think I need to start adding juice to help me. I have mine quite weak anyway x

Yeah I honestly just feel sick if I force myself to drink the recommended amount, when my body doesn't want it. I have habitual times of drinking eg cuppa tea when I get in work, glass of water with lunch etc but asides that I only drink when I need it. I just end up with heartburn and a sore bladder when I drink more than normal!

I used to drink basically nothing each day, no tea, no coffee, no squash, no water nothing and I was so dehydrated and now I regularly drink watery orange squash throughout the day, I feel so much better for it, I doubt I drink the recommended amount though but quite a bit spread over the day what with each meal and in the evenings etc. Em

hannata said:
Yeah I honestly just feel sick if I force myself to drink the recommended amount, when my body doesn't want it. I have habitual times of drinking eg cuppa tea when I get in work, glass of water with lunch etc but asides that I only drink when I need it. I just end up with heartburn and a sore bladder when I drink more than normal!

Don't try to drink more than you feel you need to, you can do yourself serious harm. You should basically drink when you're thirsty. You actually only need to drink just over a litre a day, on average, the rest of your required fluid will come from your food (see the link I posted above). And it can come from tea, coffee, milk, juice etc. There was a piece on The One Show tonight, actually, which reiterated the dangers of drinking too much. xx

Love that article - hysterical and oh so true. Bottled water is convenient sometimes but yeah what a rip off generally. Everyone goes mad over here (Australia) for keeping'hydrated' - what a stupid politically correct word anyway. What's going on with our language these days hey - I know it morphs and changes but really! - sorry, off topic. rant over.

I started the cambridge today and if i can on drinking water the way i am doing, i am never going to be able to leave my house lol

i feel like i spent 70% of my day on the loo:rolleyes:

rockford said:
Love that article - hysterical and oh so true. Bottled water is convenient sometimes but yeah what a rip off generally. Everyone goes mad over here (Australia) for keeping'hydrated' - what a stupid politically correct word anyway. What's going on with our language these days hey - I know it morphs and changes but really! - sorry, off topic. rant over.

Lol, I know what you mean about "hydration", utterly ludicrous, isn't it?! That article made me laugh too, especially the conversation with her mother. xx

anzerg2009 said:
All I can say is I don't drink water, can't stand the stuff, and I've lost 5.5 stone so far. But everyone has different theories on these things

Yay, same as me! Down with water, nasty stuff, lol. ;)

Back