Water

Wish

Silver Member
It has just dawned on me that whilst I have been doing SW all week (I enrolled last Mon) I have hardly drank any water:rolleyes: I thought there was something missing, I did try on one day, but tbh, was going the loo that many times during the night I didn't bother the rest of the week.

I wonder if this will have an effect on my weight loss?

It varies from person to person, there seems to be an idea that you should drink 2l a day of water, which if youre on a food diet and drinking other things, is probably too much. Im not sure what SW recommend but I know WW recommend 1.5l a day of FLUID not just water. SW is probably the same. 2l is the amount people on a VLCD should be drinking.

If you can stomach it fair enough, but dont feel any pressure to drink that much, its probably not necessary

Just had a look at the SW site and they recommend around 1.5/2 litres of FLUID a day, that includes your tea, coffee, juice, diet drinks and water. So definitely dont worry if you havent been drinking loads of water, so long as youve been drinking other things youll be ok :)

Last edited:
I try and drink a variety of things to make up the recommended amount - and I 'count' it too (IIRC WW trackers had little cups to tick off - thats how I got in that habit many moons ago!).

I find it v. easy to confuse hunger with thirst, so a regular variety of drinks keeps me going nicely and then its very easy to do. Example: 1x Tea upon waking, then a coffee with Brekkie, sparkling water mid morning, plain water with lunch, flavoured water mid afternoon, 2nd cup of tea late afternoon, maybe a diet coke / diet lemonade with evening meal. If each cup/glass is about 250ml then I'm well over the 1500ml that is recommended!

Incidentally, I find I need the loo more in these 1st few weeks (esp at night :rolleyes:) - I wonder if it is related to fat burning? i.e. the body needing to crank up into fat loss mode meaning more toxins get expelled? I don't actually know that - just a pondering of mine!

xx:)

i found i wasnt drinking much so what i did was get an old lucozade sport bottle and fill it with water and keep carrying it around with me.that way i found i was drinking enough :)

I was reading a health magazine the other day, (in the orthodontist waiting for my daughter, don't know what mag it was) & a dietician was saying it's a myth that we need 2 litres of water. She reckons that with today's modern diet, even though it's high in salt, there's enough fluid built into food that we only actually need around 1 litre of fluid a day.

I drink more because it fills me up!

Apologies if this is a bit TMI but the way to know if you need to be drinking more water is just to take a look at your pee! It should be pale straw coloured. If it's darker then that means it is concentrated because you are dehydrated, and you should be upping your fluid intake.

I do not drink enough water - i remember when i was on WW it was 8 glasses a day!

I drink diet coke mostly - to stay awake!! and cos i am addicted to it!

x

I am guilty of not drinking enough water, but I dont worry to much :eek: I drink lots of other fluid and it has not affected my weightloss.

I have tried a couple of times to drink lots of water & on the 2 occasions I have it has effected my weight loss. The 1st time I put on 1lb (but had been out on a night of drinking so probably more that, lol), 2nd time I had been 100% on plan but STT - so back to diet coke & I manage to loose something almost every week!

I was looking into this over the weekend and although I drink more than my 2ltrs a day, one website said that I needed to be drinking half my body weight in ounces. I worked that out to be just over 8 pints.

Between that and scan bran, the toilet has been the 2nd most visited room in my house!

I was looking into this over the weekend and although I drink more than my 2ltrs a day, one website said that I needed to be drinking half my body weight in ounces. I worked that out to be just over 8 pints.

Between that and scan bran, the toilet has been the 2nd most visited room in my house!

Eight pints is four and a half litres!!! That is ridiculous. Please don't try to drink that much - too much water is as bad as too little.

that's a dangerous amount to be drinking and really un necessary. Stick to the SW guidelines of 1 - 2l of fluid

Ellebear im the same as you i am addicted too diet coke too, i buy a multi pack of 24 just for me each week! I do drink alot of water too, i buy the asda 1L bottles of water (multi pack of 6) and just top them up when needed. But I do drink ALOT of the tescos no sugar squash (peach and apricot flavor) its yummy. Also drinking 2 litres of water a day helps burn up to 300 calories off per day! x

when i did cammbridge i drank 2 half litres per day and it is hard to do but be careful you can drink too much water remember to count your other fluid intakes as well (vodka) OOPS dreaming again i mean tea coffee and the likes x

Ellebear im the same as you i am addicted too diet coke too, i buy a multi pack of 24 just for me each week! I do drink alot of water too, i buy the asda 1L bottles of water (multi pack of 6) and just top them up when needed. But I do drink ALOT of the tescos no sugar squash (peach and apricot flavor) its yummy. Also drinking 2 litres of water a day helps burn up to 300 calories off per day! x

Sounds like youre drinking a heck of a lot there :confused:

Never heard of water drinking burning cals and like I said earlier SW dont recommend drinking excesses of water, like WW they say FLUID - 2l of fluid a day so 2l of water on top of loads of diet coke etc sounds waaay too much

I never knew water could burn off calories so I just looked into it. Apparently if you drink ICE COLD water, your body has to work to bring it up to body temperature. For every half litre you drink, it burns of 17.5 calories. So if you drink 2 litres a day, that would be 70 calories burned off.

But it has to be ice cold for that to work that much. I would imagine if it was tap temperature it would probably be half that amount.

Back