Weather stress!!!

I will succeed!!!
OMG it's insane out there! Well, the weather itself isn't too bad but the impact is!

With the bridges closed in areas the traffic is already bad at the moment, but with the ice and snow it's manic. It's taken me 2.5hours to do a 23 mile trip that normally takes 40mins. We're almost out of grit too (Cumbria Council were on the radio this morning about it) which isn't good as the roads into my village are bad already (they don't get gritted but they leave grit for people to use etc). If they can't grit the main roads things will get interesting!

Plus, my sister who is pregnant WASN'T in labour yesterday but has gone from having low to high blood pressure in 2 weeks since she saw the midwife and is at risk of getting pre-eclampsia (?).Midwife also said baby is 90% engaged so might be early. She's been told to stay off work this week (she's got 5 weeks until due date so 3 weeks left at work) but is now snowed in. Slightly worried about her as she lives in back end of beyond. If she can get to us that's not bad as we're not so stuck at ours, but otherwise it'll be air ambulance job by looks of it (luckily she lives by a farm with lots of nice flat fields lol).

Gah! And the sad thing is...it's not that bad weather wise as most of the country. It's just our windy narrow roads playing havoc really.

Anyone else having fun? Hope you're all ok!

xxx

Hi Sticky,

Oh it sounds awful traffic wise where you are, I live near Liverpool and we mainly use main roads so it's not so bad but even so, with all the snow it took longer to get to work today than usual.

I hope your sister doesn't develop full blown Pre-Eclampsia and have her baby early, my little girl was 7 weeks early a year ago due to another reason but it wasn't a pleasant time (she's fine now though), keep us updated how she gets on (my sister is due her first baby on Friday!)

Hey I really hope your sister is ok. I had my boy by emergency C-section and my BP was 160/110 up from 70/120 2 days earlier!! :eek: atleast she is somewhere with easy access by air! :)

The weather can really mess us about this time of year. My OH called me on his way to work and said I must be in (if I go shopping) by 2pm, as there's bad weather on the way! Eek! 2pm on the dot, as a relation in Jersey gets special weather reports for some reason and has let us know the times snow is due!! Hehe. Hope it's not too bad for you!!

Bl@@dy freezing though eh...! Brrr!! X

I'm getting really fed up of the snow now! We have lots of it in Lincolnshire and more on the way too, it really does scupper all plans and causes such havoc as we are not used to it in this country. I think we may need to start getting used to it though??
I hope your sister is okay hun and manages to hang on for a while longer.
Take care!

Thanks for the wishes to my sister ladies. And take care if you have bad weather in your parts (or already do). Stay safe xxx

another one from lincolnshire here.. yup we have had a good dollop, main roads are fine but it was more than a bit hairy getting to them when I had to take the kids to school this morning. Go to get up to the hospital this morning too ( i pounced on someones cancellation, i would expect due to the weather :) )
Really hope everything goes okay with your sister, pregancy is such an anxious time without extra worries especially at the end, not to mention being darn uncomfortable!
2pm you say? must keep my eye out for that then.

hey all

im from cheshire (northwest) and i had to dig the drive out today, i measure 5inchs of snow on top on my car roof.

tried to get to work, but with doing 180 spin near missin a bus, and being sat in traffic and movin 400yards to work within 1 hr, i decided to turn back
the roads are soo bad and dangerous, there gonna get worse once its ices up, its still snowing here, and it never snows here this bad!

so im in for the day, spoke to my boss and said everyone was in the same boat

so ive had a nice breaky watchin day time tv

take care everyone if u go out

I hope your sister is ok and the baby stays put for a while.
The weather is awful here in Manchester. Im currently watching people dig out cars after getting stuck in a flat carpark.
Im going nowhere thats for sure!!
love
Tab

Hope your sister is ok chick bless her and the little one!

I have not got in to work yet, its still snowing here and I have seen two cars get stuck on our road this morning. I rang the office to find only one person has made it in. If it stops I will go in later on but for now am working from home.

Wow I feel lucky now having heard what some of you have had (snow wise). Eeek! Apparently the fell road we usually travel on (which we avoid in bad weather) is solid ice. A guy at work tried to travel over it yesterday (foolishly) and turned back saying it was deadly.

Where work is based looks clear as a bell. Blue sky and hardly any ice. But it's right on the coast and it's not often icy here...just very windy (we get sent home in very high winds due to debris flying about) and icy cold.

Sister says it's put down a couple of inches since 6am but is feeling ok in herself so feeling better. In a way, though it won't be great for her own comfort, if she is put in hospital due to her blood pressure it might be a blessing in disguise if this bad weather carries on. At least then she's where she needs to be when baby arrives.

I am overly worried about her - ignore me! ;-) xxx

Tell her if she gets taken in, she get hot food, showers the works! Lol. I loved it, didn't have to lift a finger for days on bedrest lol. They even give out sleeping pills so you can have a good sleep! Lol

She'll be fine, try not to worry. *hugs* xx

*hugs* Best wishes to sister Sticky :)

It's still snowing in Manchester. I have 8" on top of my car - I measured it before I tried to scrape it all off this morning. Foolishly thought if i could get to the main road, it would all be ok, but I couldn't get there, and after a lot of skidding, sliding and being pushed by a nice man, I got my car back home and called in to work....but hardly anyone has made it into our building (which is a 25 mile/40 minute trip from home) and we have this 'business continuity' thing, which is advising everyone not to travel to our NW offices.

So...result! However (and this is a bit grr) we may have to take the day as leave, if we haven't got stuff at home to be able to work from home! Luckily I've got leave to use, but I couldn't have taken work home if I'd wanted to anyway, as I haven't been in work since 30th Dec! Grr grr grr. Mini rant over.

Anyway, having listened to the radio, the motorways are a nightmare and so it's a good thing I couldn't get there!

Some good advice from my mum - anyone attempting to go anywhere today, pack blankets, fruit, a flask etc in your car, just in case you get stranded either in snow or in traffic. I hear the snow is heading further south as the day goes on.

I love the snow, it's beautiful, but it is just a shame we aren't geared up for it. Places that have a lot, every winter, (like when I was in Canada) handle it so well...but it's just not handled well here!

*hugs* Best wishes to sister Sticky :)

It's still snowing in Manchester. I have 8" on top of my car - I measured it before I tried to scrape it all off this morning. Foolishly thought if i could get to the main road, it would all be ok, but I couldn't get there, and after a lot of skidding, sliding and being pushed by a nice man, I got my car back home and called in to work....but hardly anyone has made it into our building (which is a 25 mile/40 minute trip from home) and we have this 'business continuity' thing, which is advising everyone not to travel to our NW offices.

So...result! However (and this is a bit grr) we may have to take the day as leave, if we haven't got stuff at home to be able to work from home! Luckily I've got leave to use, but I couldn't have taken work home if I'd wanted to anyway, as I haven't been in work since 30th Dec! Grr grr grr. Mini rant over.

Anyway, having listened to the radio, the motorways are a nightmare and so it's a good thing I couldn't get there!

Some good advice from my mum - anyone attempting to go anywhere today, pack blankets, fruit, a flask etc in your car, just in case you get stranded either in snow or in traffic. I hear the snow is heading further south as the day goes on.

I love the snow, it's beautiful, but it is just a shame we aren't geared up for it. Places that have a lot, every winter, (like when I was in Canada) handle it so well...but it's just not handled well here!

Good advice there hun...stock cars up!

We've been pants lately at keeping the car stocked. We usually each have our walking boots, bottled water (drinking and for car), oil and a blanket etc etc but at the moment we have only a torch and some water for the car. MUST TRY HARDER STICKY! ;)

Enjoy your days off people. xxx

Great post Hellie! I always have my big hi vis jacket in the car (super warm) and when it's like this I always take a flask with me, cos you never know! It's snowed here all day so far and is not showing signs of stopping.
If we continue to get this sort of weather we're going to have to change how we cope with it - snow chains on cars? Snow ploughs out a bit more (although bless the council, they do a cracking job and can't be everywhere), our whole infrastructure not grinding to a halt etc etc.
I'm with Hellie, it looks beautiful but we just can't cope with it!

Great post Hellie! I always have my big hi vis jacket in the car (super warm) and when it's like this I always take a flask with me, cos you never know! It's snowed here all day so far and is not showing signs of stopping.
If we continue to get this sort of weather we're going to have to change how we cope with it - snow chains on cars? Snow ploughs out a bit more (although bless the council, they do a cracking job and can't be everywhere), our whole infrastructure not grinding to a halt etc etc.
I'm with Hellie, it looks beautiful but we just can't cope with it!

Nope we can't! I lived in MN in the USe for 18months and they get snow...lots of it! It got waist deep through winter, and though it is dry snow at first, it goes awful and slushy in time. I didn't drive over there, but got the bus to work in all weather and being the first to the museum one morning had to wade through the snow and clear the path (good exercise shifting snow lol). And yet here, an inch this morning in the village was enough to cause havoc!

x

We got a leaflet at work advising us to also keep some cat litter (to use as grit) and a spade as well in case you need to dig yourself out. Thought it was a bit OTT at the time, but now I'm not so sure!

Very patchy up here. Some areas really bad and some with hardly anything. Bit difficult if you are travelling as you don't know what you're going to come across.

I'm in West Yorkshire too and we've got it bad! It's been snowing since 7.30am and isn't showing any signs of stopping soon!! School was closed today too (I work at my kids' school) so we are staying in for the duration!! Luckily I did a food shop yesterday so we are stocked up for a while, lol. I'll be surprised if school is open tomorrow the way it is now!

I heard from my sister that it is snowing in Worcestershire. Here in Reading the Met Office forecast is for light snow later on and heavy snow tomorrow. I am off out in an hour for my Tai Chi class, but will take my boots with me just in case!

I stocked up on food and library books yesterday, so I am ready to hibernate again if necessary. It is this sort of weather which makes me so grateful that I am retired and don't have to commute to London every day!!

Keep warm, everyone, and keep safe.

Back