wedding dress

suemal

Right i've decided to get married in sept so i thought i'd better start thinking about dresses.I went into a local shop and explained that i was on cambridge.No encouragement from the woman,she just said to come in and she'll let me try on some size 20 dresses.Now in the last 4 weeks i've gone from a size 22 to size18 and i feel i'll probably end up a 12/14 if i'm lucky.She said i'll have to order by end of april and that i'll probaly not lose weight at the same rate.
What do i do,i know i'm paying for the dress but shemade me feel a bit of a loser.She showed me a few dresses as she put it "for the larger lady" but i don't plan on being a larger lady.

I have ordered mine in a 12 and im currently a 16. I figure if i get smaller then i'll have it tailored.

Ignore her, after all its your money and wedding, don't let a narrow minded shop assistant get in your way xxxx

ditto lisa marie.
I told a lady that i was going to loose 4 stone and she looked at me as if i was a demon! Take your business elsewhere i say!

How rude! Take your business elsewhere. I was an 18-20 when I went wedding dress shopping, I was made to feel like a princess, congratulated for losing 8lbs (I'd only just started CD) and told I could try on any of the dresses.

The assistant asked what size i wanted to order the dress, I told her a 14 and that was that - she just made a note on the order that I was happy ordering that size. My dress should be in in a few weeks and I can't wait!!!

If you're spending a large amount of money on a dress, YOU should decide what size to order, not the shop!

Don't forget to let us see which one you choose!

Corinne x

I think the problem is bridal shops see a lot of brides-to-be who swear they'll lose weight then don't. BUT there was absolutely no need to be rude. I'd go elsewhere, it's your dress and your choice of size. Let us know how you get on.

Totally agree with what everyone has said. I was a bridesmaid a couple of years back and managed to put on about a stone between first fitting and a few weeks before the wedding. I was so scared to go back as I knew it wouldn't fit, but they were lovely about it, and put some more material in it for me. I'd find somewhere where they know what customer service is

Hey Suemal

Did you ever see the film Pretty Woman??If you did - remember the bit where Julia Roberts goes shopping on Rodeo Drive?? The sales people in the shop were horrible to her, but she went and spent a bucket load of cash in another shop - then went back with all her purchases and showed them what a big mistake they had made.
Dont take any notice of them - do a Julia!!! :)

I am sure you will look fab in your dress, happy shopping :)

Hi, I agree with everyone else, defiently take your buisiness elsewhere hun, when i started looking for a wedding dress, all the dresses in most of the shops where small sizes and one women was making a right deal because the back wouldnt go together when i tried it on, she was asking what size i am and that i would need to go for a 22 (i was a size 16/18) and infact because of my size, the styles i looked wouldnt suit me.
i walked out and have never been back to anymore bridal shops because when i told my mum in law to be she said she will make my dress (shes very clever when it comes to making dresses) so in that dept im lucky but it does annoy me because these people who work in bridal shops should be more friendly and supportive, at the end of the day, it may just be their job but its the bride's to be special day!
Hope you have more luck, you will find that special dress and look absolutly gorgeous in it xxx

Definitely go elsewhere...

My sister got married at the end of last year, and I was at the biggest I've been. When my bridesmaid's dress was ordered, they didn't measure me. And ordered a size 18 dress. When I saw it I knew it would be too small and it was- I couldn't get the zip done up at all. They ended up putting me in a size 24, which swamped me. Fair enough I thought, it'll be altered.

When she altered it she ruined the dress. It was misshapen, uneven and gave me handles on my waist. We took it to a different shop and the woman was absolutely lovely, altered the dress perfectly and never once made me feel fat or frumpy. Good service makes the difference with wedding stuff- any establishment that tries to act like they're superior to you should be walked away from immediately.

It wasn't just the dress size that bothered me.She keeped telling me that they had a cheap range and that i could buy a dress for £180.Now no offence to anybody but my handbag probably costs more than that woman earns in a week.She made me feel fat,hopeless and very poor.(I hope i don't sound horrible but you shouldn't judge a book by its cover).

If she was just the manager and not the owner it may be a good idea to write. She could be losing a lot of customers with her attitude.

Dont let the B's get you down.

I don't care really.I'm going to another shop to look,hope it's better.Whats wrong with people,some seem to think that if you're overweight that you're stupid.I'm far from stupid.Sorry to rant but i'm panicing,didn't realise there was so much to sort out for a wedding.

Right i've decided to get married in sept so i thought i'd better start thinking about dresses.I went into a local shop and explained that i was on cambridge.No encouragement from the woman,she just said to come in and she'll let me try on some size 20 dresses.Now in the last 4 weeks i've gone from a size 22 to size18 and i feel i'll probably end up a 12/14 if i'm lucky.She said i'll have to order by end of april and that i'll probaly not lose weight at the same rate.
What do i do,i know i'm paying for the dress but shemade me feel a bit of a loser.She showed me a few dresses as she put it "for the larger lady" but i don't plan on being a larger lady.

i find bridal shop assistants all have that attitude and personally think that its because they must have girls come in every day saying they are trying to loose weight for their wedding so they 'just know' their going to be a smaller dress size. i also think the shop assistants are reluctant to order the dress a size smaller 'just incase' it doesnt fit when the time comes and they have a very upset bride on their hands.

i am in sort of the same dilemma as i am matron of honor in august. i dont expect to go down too many dress sizes but i am a bit worried because like we all know this diet will make you go down quite a fair bit till the summer so you are more likely to be at least 2 or 3 dress sizes smaller. it just trying to convince the shop assistants that.

edited to add as well that i am a 32-34 and when i ordered my wedding dress in july had to have an extra panel of material added. i am hoping to be a 26 by the time the wedding comes. i know they can bring dresses in a good 3 or 4 sizes but i dont want to spend alot of money on alterations...grrrrr

Awww i agree with the others efinitely go elsewhere i went dress hunting in April before i'd started dieting and they put me in a size 16 dress i was a size 24 at the time and of course the dress didnt go anywhere near but i could still see what i was going to look like, the shop asisstant was lovely and i told her i was planning to lose weight so what was the longest i could wait before ordering the size . When i went back in January the woman remembered me and couldnt believe how much weight i'd lost (3 stone) and the size 16dress could actually be laced up (of a fashion) and she's ordered me a dress size smaller than i am now and told me the dress can be altered up to 5 dress sizes all of which was included in the price. So not all dress shops are nasty you keep looking til you find somewhere that's lovely :)

Hi, I used to work in a bridal shop myself so I can see both sides here. 9 out of 10 brides used to come in saying that they were going to lose weight. More often than not, it didn't happen! But then most of them probably hadn't heard of Cambridge! ;-) There was no need for the assistant to be rude to you though. I have heard a lot of horror stories about brides experiences in other bridal shops so I think it's a common problem for bridal shops to have these sorts of attitudes. I like to think that being a bigger girl myself, I gave a good service and put bigger girls especially at ease. My point is....not all bridal shops are like that. Try them all until you find one you feel comfortable with.

Can I point out that most bridal dresses are sized differently and you'd normally take a size larger than a high street size...Mad I know but that's the way it is.

Another think to point out is....don't panic. Some designers take longer than others to order in. I was married 2.5 years ago and I wanted to wait as long as possible to order as I was losing weight. Mine was made by Anupam and took about 6 weeks to come. Other designers can do rush orders too....Not all.... but some! Also most dresses are designed to make alterations both in and out possible.. Many dresses can be taken in up to 3 sizes without a problem.

Another option might be High st shops? Monsoon do some absolutely gorgeous dresses that you could wait and buy nearer the time.

Hope this helps and that you find a dress shop that you are happy with.

Tx

Back