Week 1, Gutted day 5!!!

karen.garraway

Hey all,am on day 6 of ss. Have put on about 6 stone since meeting my husband 11 years ago and have never felt so unhealthy and fat. Decided after doing all the diets that best thing for me was to take all food out of the equation. Last night however i felt soooo in need of food i ate. It was a ww meal and therefore not too bad but still ate all the same. Worried I wont be able to do this for as long as i had liked and my only hope is that when i can start the bars on tuesday having something to eat will help.
Would LOVE to hear back from others xx

I had a really hard day yesterday and i hide in my bed most of the day so that i was away from food.

I feel so much better today.

I really hope you have not kicked yourself out of ketotis!

Start again a new day.:)

What are you not sure of Karen?

Blips are there to help us to remember that we are human, we make mistakes and make sure that we will be more prepared for them next time. I think its only natural to have a wobble early on in the diet.

It took me actually gaining weight in my first week to realise that this diet needs 100% committment, I had a few rice cakes in week one, and that was the result. I didnt beat myself up, but I did stick to it totally the next week.

Give it another go tomorrow. Only think about tomorrow. One step at a time xx

My understanding in basic terms is that Ketosis is when your body turns to your 'fat reserves' for the extra energy it needs to keep you functioning. If you deviate from the diet with a sudden high calorie intake (compared to the very low calorie diet) you're body will stop using the fat for energy and use the energy from the food you eat instead. You then need to get back into Ketosis and you will have to go through the feeling hungry stage again. If you get there and stay there it's all downhill from there. I didn't believe it but now I know it to be true.

Many famous diets known for rapid weight loss such as vlcd's and atkins etc work predominantly because they put your body into ketosis because there is no other sources of fat for your body to process for energy.

In much the same way as athletes drink glucose drinks as a high source of carbs/sugars for extra energy we need to do the opposite and let the body find it's own natural source of energy.

If you are really struggling to cope without any 'real' food at all then maybe sole source isn't for you but remember that this is the quickest way to lose the weight. I would ignore the blip. Stay strong and try again. After 3/4 days you literally won't feel hungry because the body switches to feeding itself.

Like me I'm guessing the real struggle is the mental fight to physicaly stop putting hand to mouth and eating something solid. It's a weird experience for all of us but if you take each day as it comes and find the power to go to bed at night without cheating you can worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

I'm sitting here talking like a pro and I'm on day 9 so trust me when I say you will be an absolute convert if you can do a full week on sole source and you get on those scales and see the drop. I know because I did it yesterday and I dropped 12 pounds in a week. My girlfriend dropped a stone on SS as well and men are supposed to lose quicker than women! I have been sitting on my backside all week and she's been at work walking all over London.

This is what excites me. How many diets out there allow you to lose a stone in a week when you barely leave the sofa? Weight Watchers meals certainly aren't going to offer those kind of results even if you're doing weight watchers. It's about rapid weight loss and it's bloody hard but you know it's going to be well worth it in the end.

People here say nothing tastes as good as being slim feels. Now I haven't been slim since I was about 9 years old but if it feels anything like what it feels to be a scrawny little 9 year old running around with bags of energy then it's worth looking forward to cause boy was life good then!

I'm really proud that not even a single crumb of something other than my food packs has passed my lips this week. It's a milestone where I can already feel my stomach shrinking and my confidence to succeed rising.

Knuckle down, give it another go and trust me when you see that number on the scale drop rapidly it will have been worth the struggle. It's a tough week that will make the rest of your life easier.

Good luck. You CAN do it and you WILL truly feel fantastic in no time. Trust me! :)

Last edited:
You can do it!

I have had 2 almost slips this week, both times when i have been going into the fridge for a tetra pack, and my flatmates have left something easy to grab and eat out in the open (They are not the most supportive... heh) and i have reached out for it without even thinking! Luckily i have managed to stop myself both times just in time, grab my tetra pack, my bottle of water and pretty much run back to my room, put some loud music on and got into bed to try and drown out my need to eat.

I also find when the need to eat gets bad, i turn to uni work, house work, laundry, anything to keep myself busy and away from the food. You just gotta keep your mind on other things, sometimes when its REALLY REALLY REALLY bad, i switch on my laptop and i go to Burtons or Topmans website and look at all the outfits i can wear in a few months, and not have to go through all the items in the hopes they will do a pair of jeans in my size! Think postive, keep your mind on the one single thing your doing this diet for. Don't do it for anyone else, do it for one single thing you REALLY REALLY want, and don't lose sight of it.

Good luck!

Oh and i forgot, if your body is telling you it REALLY wants food, i have found a little cheat that i use. Make a soup pack (CHicken and Mushroom, gods gift to VLCD'ers!) and actually make it in a pan like you would normal soup, and then use a bowel and spoon. For some reason it always leaves me feeling like i have eaten something, instead of drank yet more of my food. I hope it works for you aswell!!

Some really great advice on here Hun, dig deep and remember why you want to lose the weight - you can do it.
Good luck
Jane;0)

I'm sitting here talking like a pro and I'm on day 9 so trust me when I say you will be an absolute convert if you can do a full week on sole source and you get on those scales and see the drop. I know because I did it yesterday and I dropped 12 pounds in a week. My girlfriend dropped a stone on SS as well and men are supposed to lose quicker than women! I have been sitting on my backside all week and she's been at work walking all over London.

People here say nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

I'm really proud that not even a single crumb of something other than my food packs has passed my lips this week. It's a milestone where I can already feel my stomach shrinking and my confidence to succeed rising.
Knuckle down, give it another go and trust me when you see that number on the scale drop rapidly it will have been worth the struggle. It's a tough week that will make the rest of your life easier.
Good luck. You CAN do it and you WILL truly feel fantastic in no time. Trust me! :)
Pete&Jo, i have read most of your posts since you arrived on Minimins. You really deserve to succeed and i look forward to reading your future posts and progress.
You write and support others so well in your posts.
Good luck to you both and to Karen.Garraway who started this thread, with a confession of being human and having eaten a WW meal. Karen don't beat yourself up, it has just made you realize how much you want to lose weight.

Well reminded Martyn! If you genuinely want some thing to eat then I have found the best thing! You'll find mor recipes on here somewhere but get an oriental chilli soup pack and mix a very small amount of water and keep adding and stirring till you get a peanut butter style consistancy. Spread it onto baking paper so it's around 1/2 mm thick and you have a big circle of paste spread on the paper. Then whack it in the microwave for about 2-3 mins. I do 2 mins 30 secs in an 800w microwave. Pull it out. Peel it from the paper and very quickly slice into about a dozen or so squares. You need to be super quick as it starts to go crispy almost as soon as you take it out and it's easiest to slice straight out of the microwave. You can then sit and nibble on a few cripys things. They're like a cross between naan bread and poppodoms. I'm not doing this every day but as and when I fancy crunching on something and eating something solid it's a good little solution that's not cheating.

want to thank you all for your good advice - and for being there!! I would have replied sooner but to tell you the truth I didnt know how to find this thread again duh!!!
Anyway I was over the moon to lose 13lbs in my first week and i have already lost 4 inches from my waist! That is what i needed to kick start me. I am on day 11 now and just cooking my husband and son chips and it doesnt bother me in the slightest. Obviously i am normal and would eat them without realising but i want to be slim more! My reason is of course looks but mainly health as i suffer with my back. I would also love to get down to 11 stone and then try for another baby as i am sooo broody ha
Good luck to you all and hope to speak to again through our journey
big hugs x

Hey karen, congrats on your fab loss in your 1st week! Bet you are glad you stuck to it now!! well done you and good luck for another great week!

xx

Thank you! You have done fab to have lost 1 stone 12 in 7 weeks!! I would be really pleased with that. Have fantastic is this diet, its a friday night my hub is eating burger and chips and i dont care!! Yeah!!!

Well done Karen, you are on your way now ;0)

Back