Extra Easy Weigh In day 'black hole'

flabtofit

Gold Member
I WI on a Thursday and for the last few weeks, on a Thursday evening after WI I eat whatever I fancy even though I know I shouldn't.

My consultant calls it the 'black hole' after WI

I really need to do something about it as otherwise it's going to start affecting my losses - does anyone have any tips on how to avoid it?

Thanks in advance xx

I either use my syns on something tasty or have a slimming world 'take away' that way I know I've got something tasty post weigh in without it affecting my weight loss. Tonight I have chicken Chinese style rice and an egg and spoon chocolate egg for afters. It feels really naughty but is completely on plan.

Yeah I think your both right - I need to plan my 'treats' for a Thursday night.

At the moment, I only eat fruit until I WI on Thursday and then feel hungry so eat and eat and eat. It's no justification and I always feel awful afterwards so I really need to find a way tl deal with it.

Will try planning next week and hope it works

Thank you both x

Yeah I think your both right - I need to plan my 'treats' for a Thursday night.

At the moment, I only eat fruit until I WI on Thursday and then feel hungry so eat and eat and eat. It's no justification and I always feel awful afterwards so I really need to find a way tl deal with it.

Will try planning next week and hope it works

Thank you both x

may i ask why you only have fruit before wi
just eat normally it will really not make much if any diff to the results on the scales x
one thing i have found is fluids do effect my wi results (as i drink alot of water 3+ litres a day) so i dont drink 3 hrs before wi as i have found it can make my weight differ by a good few lb

One of my dad's sayings that has stuck in my brain (probably forever), is that 'a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter'! :D

Cat - I don't know why I only eat fruit, it's something I did when I started SW and I've continued it for fear of affecting the results at WI. My consultant is always banging on about wearing the same clothes, weighing at the same time every week etc...
Maybe I should just bite the bullet so to speak and eat normally.

Wytchie - that's a good saying and I'll try to remember it :)
As Cat said, maybe I should eat normally and just limit my water intake on WI day.
At least if I eat normally I won't be so hungry and will be less likely to fall off the wagon when I do get home from WI

So long as you do the same thing every week then your weight gains / loses will reflect how you have done on the lan. There is no point starving yourself. As you have already said this leads to you being really hungry and eating everything in sight. Just eat and drink normally and so long as you do roughly the same thing every week you'll be fine.

I think that planing so that you can have a treat after WI would help as others have suggested. But I also think that you are setting yourself up to overeat by only eating fruit until you WI. May I ask what time of the day your meeting is? I eat and drink as I normally would on my WI day. I even have my dinner straight before as I'd be too hungry if I had to wait until after the meeting finishes around 9.00 at night. I'd try eating normally. Yes, you may get one week where you have a smaller loss than usual or STS but it's probably worth it if it helps you avoid the 'black hole'.

Last edited:
My WI is at 5:30 so I go straight from work.

I think this week I'll try to eat normally before hand and just take what the scales say. As you said, if I did that every week it wouldn't matter as I would be sticking to doing the same thing each week. It's just the first week that may be out a little.

Also, I'm so strict during the week so maybe a KitKat or something worked into my syns could be my post WI treat...

Fresh start this week!

I eat similar things on weigh day, fruit and yogurt for breakie, hifi and fruit for mid morning snack, mugshot fruit and yogurt for lunch, so I don't starve myself and my losses shouldn't be affected week to week. I drink at lunch time and then after that I might only have little sips if I need them and just wait til after weigh in and have a drink at group. This isn't a 'thing' though as I'm at work and don't often have a cuppa in the afternoons anyway. So its normal for me not to drink til I get home!

As for after weigh in, its not a black hole. All you eat has calories and they have to go somewhere! They don't just dissappear cos its weigh in night. Plus if you binge on the night it makes it feel as if you've been restricted all week in what you eat and so then it feels like a 'diet' and you're probably gonna be less likely to get to target and keep the weight off for life.

What I do is plan something particularly high in syns for after weigh in, like a kit kat chunky or cadbury egg and spoon. This week I had a galaxy bubbles bar and bag of velvet crunch :) but then I have a krispy kremed counted within syns every saturday too so to me this is a healthy plan for life and I'm still indulging in treats. Just in moderation rather than having a big binge on them

I always have a 'treat' night after WI on a Thursday but I don't go overboard with it. We will have an Indian or a Chinese but I stick to low syn meals. So from the Indian I will have boiled rice and a chicken Jalfrezi with a dozen chips and that's it, so I'm having a treat but I'm not going overboard and from the chinese again it's generally boiled rice, noodles, sweet and sour chicken and a few chips.

I also don't use my 15 syns a day, I generally stick around the 10 mark, so I have 35 spare syns to play with after WI.

So don't feel like you can't have a treat night after WI, just make sure it's not something that will amount to 40/50 syns
:)

My WI is at 5:30 so I go straight from work.

I think this week I'll try to eat normally before hand and just take what the scales say. As you said, if I did that every week it wouldn't matter as I would be sticking to doing the same thing each week. It's just the first week that may be out a little.

Also, I'm so strict during the week so maybe a KitKat or something worked into my syns could be my post WI treat...

Fresh start this week!

You only eat fruit til 5.30 Omg i couldnt do that

Thing is even though I'm paranoid it'll affect the scales, this week I'm jut going to eat as normal as like you have all said, it won'y lead to a binge as I will be fuller.

Even if I do show a STS/smaller loss of Thursday, in the long run i guess it will be better for me as I won't be on the binge/restrict cycle.

For the first few months of SW I was okay, I guess I've just got complacent and need to rein it in

Thanks for all your replies x

Everything said on here I so logical and sensible, but, I am like you Flabtofit (Lol) I starve all day long, on weigh in day, barely drink and then BINGE BINGE BINGE all night, totally pathetic, and I must stop it!!!! You too, Flabtofit (and good luck, I see from your stats that you have done really well this far)

I used to do this all the time. It gets stupid. I would even reduce the amount of liquid I drink before weigh in after 3pm and get weighed in just before 6pm. Then have everything that evening. Then takes days to get weight back down and lose more.

I have a slimming world meal like lasagne now but have some garlic bread as a treat. Its not on plan but dont gain stupid amounts and its a treat :)

Thing is even though I'm paranoid it'll affect the scales, this week I'm jut going to eat as normal as like you have all said, it won'y lead to a binge as I will be fuller.

Even if I do show a STS/smaller loss of Thursday, in the long run i guess it will be better for me as I won't be on the binge/restrict cycle.

For the first few months of SW I was okay, I guess I've just got complacent and need to rein it in

Thanks for all your replies x

Remember it's only one week, and it'll be so much better for you in the long run. You will feel more comfortable and happy being on plan :) I couldn't last at work on only fruit lol no so dear you're starving by the time groups finished

Your right it does take ages to lose what we gain that night!

I need to curb it. Thinking of preparing my evening meal, with treats worked in before I go to WI and eat normally throughout the day.

Silly the things we do to ourselves unnecessarily really x

yes really makes no sense to avoid meals on weigh day but we all do it..... Preparing the meal will help I think

Back