Weigh not weight

I'm actually just outside in Newcastle under Lyme, but if I say Newcastle either nobody knows where it is or assumes I mean upon Tyne and I'm just stupid!

:8855:

As for the spelling of definitely...the dictionary people (lexicographers?) are discussining changing it to definAtely as the vast majority of people spell it that way. Not a good step in language development methinks!

Maybe we should go back to thee thou thy and foreasmuch.....

As for the spelling of definitely...the dictionary people (lexicographers?) are discussining changing it to definAtely as the vast majority of people spell it that way. Not a good step in language development methinks!

Nooooooo! How silly is that?

aesir22 said:

I'm OUTRAGED at the thought of this!

Urgh, really?! I hope that doesn't go ahead!! I loved studying English Language at A-Level (though I never took it any further) but certainly wouldn't say it is developing for the better! I find it quite frustrating

Edited to add: This just says it all, my little sister was taught to spell definitely this way at school: "Definitely has an 'init' in it, innit?". Makes my blood boil!!

I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who gets irritated by bad grammar and spelling, it REALLY drives me mad. So much so that I actually want to correct badly spelt graffiti!!! Gah!!!

I forget exactly...my friend is doing a doctorate in english language and linguistics and she was telling me about it

Oooops i am a serial hun user, i think it can also depend on the people you are with.As i student nurse (children) at the start of placement i am like mmmm dont like being called that and by the end im calling all the girls either hun or chick and all the boys mate or dude :)

Back