Weighing Every Day - A Mistake?

vixhicks

Someone I know mentioned it was ok to weigh myself every day on this diet because I am guaranteed to lose weight. So, with excitement I have been weighing myself first thing every day. Second and third day I have losses (2lb on second day and 3lb on third day) but when I weighed myself this morning at the start of my forth day, I've put on 1/2lb since yesterday. I've been 100% faithful to the diet so am just hoping it's water retention or something and trying not to feel demotivated...especially because I am feeling a little better today and therefore think I could be going into Ketosis....

Is it a mistake to weigh myself every day? Found it a real motivation the first 2 days, but not sure it's a good idea now....

Hi Vix,

there are definitely 2 schools of thought on this - some say stay away from them anmd let your CDC weigh you and you get a nice suprise each week and others weigh every day to keep them going.

Unfortunately the pitfalls of every day are as you mentioned and Im an every day weigher and have STS for 3 days but lost 1.5 this morning. obviously was elated this morning but was peed off the last 3 days running up to it and have been 100% too.

It is normal to have fluctuations during the week so its up to you you could weigh every 2nd or 3rd day or leave it to once a week.
Good luck with your journey and keep coming on here for motivation
Join our daily hour by hour thread x

Hey Vix..
Just to say Im another weigh every day!! Every hour person.. (or when going to the toilet) when at home!
I have stopped the last few days as realised whatever you will be you will be and its not going to change whether you go on the scales however many times aday..

If you are sticking to it hon it will definatley come off!! It cant not..

Good luck and dont worry if it goes up and down if you have a shake and go on the scales it goes up a pound and if I go to the toilet it goes down 1/2 so dont worry hon!!!

xxx

It`s hard to stop weighing every day as I have done since starting , but I have been getting very fustrated as my weight is not shifting although I am in ketosis, so I agree that it`s probably best not to.

I weigh every day but i think I am going to stop as it's very demoralising when a bit goes on instead of coming off, even though it's just water retention.I always expect it to come off a bit each day but my body doesn't seem to want to co-operate with that :D

its great when it's coming off quickly, really demotivating when it's coming off slowly or stalled! i have had my moments on the scales when i lost 2lbs a week for 3 weeks running. but on the weeks where i lost 5lbs a week then it was fab! but remember, loss doesn't always show on the scale, you may have lost inches. when i lost 2lbs one week, i lost 2 inches from my waist and 2 inches from my hips, so that's why measuring yourself or getting your CDC to measure you could be helpful.

I couldn't get by without my daily weigh in lol :p

I used to live with a flatmate who weighed every day and she was really slim. I just don't think it's a healthy habit to get into but that's just my opinion. I like waiting a week and kind of being on a countdown to WI day.

I am an everyday weigher too and the days I lose its a great day but the days I STS its a horrible day and I cant wait for it to be over. I think its best to do it every other day!!!! x

I'm with Curly- every time I go to the loo I hop on the scales. Such a bad habit, especially since I've been 100% this week yet the scales say I've stayed the same. Now I'm dreading my WI tomorrow a sts will totally knock my motivation. Think I might just throw the scales away and wait for my CDC to weigh me each week.

I find weighing every day helps remove dissapointment. If the scales havent budged all week then at least at my weekly weigh in Im prepared. Rather than getting nervous and excited and expecting to lose 3lbs when Ive lost bugger all!

Weighing daily is only a problem if you let it be one. Stick to the diet and you lose fat. The scales don't tell the whole story.

As I've just mentioned on another thread, it's not the weighins that matter, but what you do between the weighins.

I find weighing every day helps remove dissapointment.

Must admit, I felt the same. I needed to know what it said so I wouldn't be disappointed on weigh in day, but had to remember that it didn't really matter anyway :D

As I've just mentioned on another thread, it's not the weighins that matter, but what you do between the weighins.
Well said KD.:D I weigh myself every morning and night and it helps motivate me and keeps me focused for the day. I once tried putting my scales away for 3 days and low and behold I was naughty. I had a voice saying well its ok you can catch up tomorrow, then the following day was the same, then it was saying well you have blown it now keep going and just take the weight gain when the scales come out. It's all personal but as long as your losing it doesn't matter what you prefer x

I'm a daily weigher too, sometimes more than once. But as today is day one for me on CD I have packed my scales away. They are fairly easy to get to though so I may end up having to put them in the loft lol!

I've never been able to work out if it helps me or hinders me though.....and I still bloomin' do it!!!

I'm sure I'm addicted to weighing everyday. The moment I wake up I jump out of bed, rush down stairs, go to the toilet and then jump on the scales......Really keeps me motivated!

I used to weigh every day. The first time I did CD, I loved racing downstairs to see what I'd lost overnight, LOL (the scales are in my kitchen).

But just before I restarted CD this time I had a bit of a rough ride with the scales (I was doing another diet and gained weight, grrr...). So I made the decision this time to weigh in at 4 weekly intervals. I don't even know for sure what my start weight was, though 14st 7lbs is probably about right - I know what I weighed the week before I restarted.

It's early days - I'm only on Day 9 so far. Who knows, I might crack tomorrow morning. :D

I hope not. It is strangely liberating not to start my day either in a good mood or a bad mood solely based on whether the scales say I've lost weight, STS, or inexplicably, gained weight :cry:.

Well after all my good intentions yesterday of putting my scales away, I got them out this morning and weighed myself....grrrrr!

Is showing a fab result, but really want to get out of that habit. May have to resort to throwing them out!

I tend to hop on the scales every morning too but I don't have fancy ones that show me every pound/half pound etc just old fashioned bog standard ones.

I can then see I'm moving in the right direction but rely on my CDCs for my accurate weight :)

Annie x

I wouldn't recommend weighing every day because you wonder why the scales are saying the same and because over the course of a day your weight will go up and down by a few pounds, with all the water we're drinking i've weighed a pound less after going for a wee than I did before it! You're best avoiding the scales between weighins if you can, but everyone is different.

Now im eating normally again, i rely on daily weighing to make sure the lbs dont starting creeping back on..if a few pounds do then im aware of it and can make adjustments. If i left it a week and found id put on half a stone or something, id freak!! I agree though, if you are following the diet 100% on whatever plan, you can't fail to lose weight so even if the scales dont reflect it, the weight/inches ARE coming off x

Back