Weighing every day... how do I stop it?!

Caz

Repeat Offender
I really want to stick with a weekly WI because I think it's nice to see that big loss at once rather than 0.25lb here and another 0.25lb there and stuff. I really struggle not to jump on the scales most days though, any suggestions of how to break the habit?

Nice idea but no chance lol Firstly, I weigh on a Sunday and Boots near me is closed on a Sunday and I weigh first thing in the morning in just my underwear, can't do that in Boots! But also, I've done it once and just felt so uncomfortable getting on the scales while there was everyone around. Maybe I'd do that once I've lost more weight but wouldn't be comfortable doing it now.

Throw your scales away, seriously. If you need to know your weight, get weighed at the doctor's, or Boots. I understand the obsession - I used to weigh myself every time I ate or drank anything when I was dieting 30 years ago, and was precariously close to anorexia. Now, at 50, I'm halfway towards my 10 stone target, and only get weighed at the doctor's every couple of months. It's enormously liberating, and doesn't change how you lose weight. x

Throw scales away, the fugure doesn't mean much in comparison to how you feel and inches lost, then you can only weigh yourself once in a blue moon x

I'm not throwing my scales away either lol I spent £40 on them and weighing yourself isn't a bad thing, it's good and important, I just don't want to do it every day. I wouldn't say that I have an obsession really, it's just become a habit. There are days that I don't weigh myself and it doesn't bother be at all, like this morning, it's just pretty much become habit to get on the scales and then be like oh, I wasn't going to weigh myself til Sunday. Personally, I don't want to WI at Boots. I don't want to pay to weigh in each week when I have a perfectly good, and fairly expensive, set of scales at home and even though the machine doesn't shout it out, it's right near the tills and I just don't feel comfortable weighing myself there.

Put the scales somewhere out of sight and where it's difficult to get to them (e.g. on top of a tall cupboard, behind a load of things, etc.) - set a weighing day and only get them out then. If it's a bit more effort to get them out then you'll be less likely to jump on and off them every morning :)

That's a good idea actually. I think I see them and think oh I'll weigh myself and just do it without even really thinking so if I put them somewhere different, somewhere I won't see, maybe that'll help.

I too have this problem- I literally get out of bed, strip to my pants and weigh every morning, then I get home from work, get changed and weigh again then nearly everytime I go in the bathroom- it drives me insane- maybe I will take the advice on here and put them on top of the wardrobe till weigh in day! It's got to be worth a try! X

Could you keep your scales at someone else's house? Then you could go to their house once a week to weigh in. You could strip off in their bathroom so no one has to see you.

My friends hubby locked them in the car boot all week and only gives them to her on weigh in day

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I had this problem too! Mutually agreed my boyfriend used to hide them and bring them back out once a week for my weigh in day! Worked a treat! If you live with anyone else I'd def recommend. Personally I need to weigh myself once a week as the weight loss I see weekly spurs me on even more! X

starting weight 12 st, current weight 11.9, goal weight 10 st - lost 5 lbs

Put your scale in the back of a closet with tons of stuff in the way. Make it a chore to get to it to pull it out to weigh yourself. My son likes to jump on the scale and broke 2, so I did that until he lost interest in breaking them. I definitely weighed myself only weekly when it was out of sight and a pain to get to.

I changed from daily weigher to weekly weigher and back again! Hateeee weighing daily puts me in bad mood! Weekly is sooooo much better so I'm hiding the scales and only taking it out once a week

I too weigh in every day, sometimes few times a day :eek: Locking the scales in hubby's carboot is a genius idea! (I already put all the sweets there as he keeps buying more in Tesco - so now if he wants a biccie he goes to the car :D No temptation for me!)

Hi everyone

I think daily weighing is a personal choice

I like many others strip down and head for the scales every morning, after a wee obviously and I'd take the fillings out my teeth if I thought it would help :)

When I was unhappy with my weight but not really doing anything about it daily weighing was depressing and could affect my mood all day. But now I'm taking control I look forward to that little morning routine. I'm delighted if there's a loss and determined to keep going if there isn't

There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself everyday as long as you are comfortable with the fact your weigh might jump around a little... and not for the better sometimes!

I had this same problem. I'd weigh-in everyday but it wasn't making me happy. My boyfriend now hides the scales until I request them.

Do you live with anyone else? If so ask them to hide your scales and give them to you the night before you are going to weigh-in, and ask them to make sure you return them after!

I am an obsessive weigher. I also weigh every day but actually those little weight losses here and there are what motivate me. If I waited all week to find they hadn't moved or not what I expected I would fail altogether x

My dietitian told me to get my husband to hide my scales and take it out once a week because she thinks that the daily (or few times a day) weighing was seriously affecting my weight loss (see a good result, think oh I can have a bit of chocolate then, see a bad result that is not deserved, think to myself, well now I am definitely having chocolate). It's working wonders so far :)

I'm really glad you posted this tread. I weigh myself twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed. I do it before bed to try and guess what my morning loss could possible be! I have done it so long that it is really getting on my wick and feel that I have to get it under control, so I think hiding the scales is a great idea. I think I will lock them inside my filing cabinet until Wednesday morning. But will I be able to resist the temptation to get them out... I'll keep you posted!

I weigh in every morning (just before 7am) in my undies - in the garage! When the weather is miserable as it often is I really don't feel like the dash to the door and back again which stops me. Damn the fine weather over the last few weeks - thank you for last week!!!

gentoo/aptenny

Back