Weighing every day... how do I stop it?!

Today I gave away my scales to my friend for at least 2 weeks. Otherwise il look at the scales every day and feel disappointed if I haven't lost. Had to take drastic measures but will be worth it when I go get my scales back and see a loss. I saw a post by someone on here where she just uses her clothes as a guide to her weight loss and not her scales. I have a pair of trousers that I'd love to be able to do up so that's my goal! If I keep doing what I'm doing that weight is going down regardless.

I am an obsessive weigher. I also weigh every day but actually those little weight losses here and there are what motivate me. If I waited all week to find they hadn't moved or not what I expected I would fail altogether x

It suits me to do that too. I count my weight loss as being the lowest weight I see on the scales - it might fluctuate so much that I wouldn't show up a weight loss at the end of the week, even though I'd had losses during the week, and that wouldn't be very encouraging. I don't mind the daily fluctuations, checking what I weigh most mornings keeps me motivated :)

I must confess I am a daily weigher, but I don't see anything wrong with it. If you want to SEE weight loss then perhaps track your inches and also your weight in a spreadsheet daily (inches fortnightly) then over the month you'll be able to SEE the loss you had for that month. You've done so well already but the suggestions are pretty much the only ones you'll get but are not accepting so perhaps you're not ready yet to give it up?

I personally won't give up daily weighing for my own reason that It's a habit I find hard to break it keeps me on track as seeing a gain makes me aware of what I'm doing - no denial possible.

Today I gave away my scales to my friend for at least 2 weeks. Otherwise il look at the scales every day and feel disappointed if I haven't lost. Had to take drastic measures but will be worth it when I go get my scales back and see a loss. I saw a post by someone on here where she just uses her clothes as a guide to her weight loss and not her scales. I have a pair of trousers that I'd love to be able to do up so that's my goal! If I keep doing what I'm doing that weight is going down regardless.

That is the best way for me. I used to be a serial weigher and it was hard to not do it. I was obsessed yet I didn't always see the results I wanted to see. When i began working out my body was getting heavier yet my waist was getting smaller. My dietician suggested I only weigh myself bi-monthly and see how my clothes feel. I now just weigh myself once a week as bi-monthly is too ling for me! This is just to ensure I'm on track. I much prefer the feel of loose clothes as an indicator. My mother, gran, aunts and friends who are naturally slim have always used clothes as indicators that they've gained a few.

Mine are locked in hubby's carboot til he brings them in on a Friday morning for me to weigh in, of he forgets to take them back I will weigh several times a day, I can't be trusted lol!

I liked to weigh every morning before I'd eaten on drunk anything (but after a wee of course!) and it was depressing me to see a sts or tiny loss so I started drinking a big glass of water before I went downstairs so I wasn't so tempted. Didnt want to weigh the water too! :)

I weigh myself every morning and night and often the scale won't change for days but if i eat too much in one day or i eat the wrong things, it shows straight away and gives me a chance to correct it before any real damage is done. I couldn't go a whole week without weighing myself because i'd either eat too much or too little.

I was having this problem too but after reading this thread I moved my weighing scales into the utility room. Since I can't be naked in there owing to the big windows and lots of neighbours, I am sure the effort involved in moving them to my bathroom will help me stop weighing quite so frequently!

my partner wont buy me any! or let me buy as i get obsessive about it so i do my weigh in on a sunday at his mums x

I weigh nearly everyday as well as my WI day. It is a bad habit but and maybe its the social anxiety talking but I would be mortified to weigh myself in public like at boots.

Me too. I do the same and don't find it a problem. I know if I've been good and the scales happen to show a gain, I know it's not a real gain. It's only a problem if someone gets obsessed.

I'm so glad of this thread... I thought I was the only insane one! The potential joy of having gone down is the only thing that gets me out of bed on a morning! I've usually stayed the same but it doesn't really bother me as I have no time to think about it as I'm always running late for work!

I really like weighing every day. It helps me be especially motivated in the evenings. Evenings are one of my potential 'weaker' times - especially now, in winter when it's so cold - I want to reach for the cake, the biscuits, the hot chocolate. Knowing those things will show up on the scales the next day helps me spend *only* whatever calories I've saved through the day on a small dessert treat like a couple of small jam biscuits -without going over my calorie limit. Then I fill myself up with hot herbal teas after that. I only weigh myself first thing in the morning though because of course weight fluctuates throughout the day.

With the daily / weekly weigh-in and wanting to enjoy a BIG loss: I have a word document I keep all my calorie counting in. On the first page is a list of weeks, so I can put the TOTAL weight lost in week one, week two, week three etc. Then, each time I look at it I can emotionally enjoy each week. Maybe this would work? But I do think daily weighing is a good idea - stops me falling down and staying down because I see it on the scales the next day so I have to do something about it ASAP. However obsession is not good...if you're getting obsessed with weighing yourself, maybe you need to find more fun things to do? I don't mean that to sound rude and I hope it doesn't. I mean that pleasure is a good distraction and anti-thesis to that little critical, self-controlling voice. Laugh more, weigh less ;)

I do the same as you, i weigh every morning but I actually note down my weight each Monday so I can see how much I've lost each week. I agree that it helps me not to eat too much rubbish in the evening.... It works for me :)

Sent from Sue's iPhone using MiniMins :)

Back