Weighing myself question...

rosie1234

Silver Member
Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask for some help/advice on how often to weigh myself. I know not all scales give the same results. I know this from when I had a doctor's appointment. My doctor weighted me and then I walked home, which is about a 1 minutes walk, and I weighted myself on my home scales (with exactly the same amount of clothes on) and the results were 5 pounds less than the scales at my doctor's.

The past 3 weeks I have been weighing myself every Thursday, but I find it's such a long wait and time goes so slowly until I see what the numbers say on them again. I also worry because I don't know whether I am doing well or not. I put my scales in the same place and weigh myself at the same time (3pm) with the same dressing gown on to make it as consistent as possible. Is this a good time? I read somewhere online that the best time to weigh yourself is 30 minutes after you wake up in the morning, but I wake up at different times nearly everyday so it wouldn't be the same time.
Last month I was weighing myself everyday and the scales were saying I was losing 2 pounds a day on most days or putting on 2 pounds a day on some days. Also someone said that my scales were saying that I was losing or putting on 2 pounds everyday because your weight can fluctuate up and down each day by at least 2 lbs. Is this true? How often do you find is most accurate and best to weigh yourself?

Thank you for any help :)

Hi Rosie,
Welcome. For an accurate weekly weight loss, it be most advisable to weigh your self only ONCE a week. I know it's easy to step on the scales every day, Don't as they can be misleading, as well you know. Try and resist and set your mind. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!
It will be most rewarding in the long run. Hope this helps you. Good luck.x

Thank you for the response. It does help thank you :) I think what I will do is just cover my scales by putting anything over them so I can't see them in my bedroom, and then only use them every Thursday :) Thank you for your help.

You are most welcome Rosie. Gave a good day.:girlpower:

I'd recommend weighing no more than once a month. Especially for women the fluctuations from week to week can be very demotivating and can often lead to you giving up! For the first year of my current attempt I only got weighed by my GP every two months, and it really helped because I knew that in that period of time it would always have gone down. xx

Ohh, 1 month is too long for me lol. For extra advice I will ask my doctor when I next see her but thanks for the advice too :)

I had a lot of trouble with obsessive dieting and weighing when I was 20, then have yo-yo dieted for the last 30 years. I can hand on heart say that not weighing myself has made a huge difference this time - seven stone down and counting. Monthly is about right, or 4 weekly, because you're not getting those cyclical changes that come with your menstrual cycle - they really can be the downfall of a lot of people, lol. Just something to think about if you start having problems. xx

I always weight myself once a week as daily weighing can compromise the result. I know its hard to resist but Ive faced disappointment myself weighing every day and all you do is get disheartened and comfort eat!

Thanks :) I am sticking to every Thursday. A week isn't long if you think about it and it makes me look forward to it because it isn't too long :)

Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask for some help/advice on how often to weigh myself. I know not all scales give the same results. I know this from when I had a doctor's appointment. My doctor weighted me and then I walked home, which is about a 1 minutes walk, and I weighted myself on my home scales (with exactly the same amount of clothes on) and the results were 5 pounds less than the scales at my doctor's.

The past 3 weeks I have been weighing myself every Thursday, but I find it's such a long wait and time goes so slowly until I see what the numbers say on them again. I also worry because I don't know whether I am doing well or not. I put my scales in the same place and weigh myself at the same time (3pm) with the same dressing gown on to make it as consistent as possible. Is this a good time? I read somewhere online that the best time to weigh yourself is 30 minutes after you wake up in the morning, but I wake up at different times nearly everyday so it wouldn't be the same time.
Last month I was weighing myself everyday and the scales were saying I was losing 2 pounds a day on most days or putting on 2 pounds a day on some days. Also someone said that my scales were saying that I was losing or putting on 2 pounds everyday because your weight can fluctuate up and down each day by at least 2 lbs. Is this true? How often do you find is most accurate and best to weigh yourself?

Thank you for any help :)

Hi rosie,
Your bodys weight can not and would not fluctuate by 2lbs on a daily basis. That is impossible. It can fluctuate dramatically if you are ill or have been ill etc but not through a normal day. My suggestions are, purchase good quality scales ( some cheaper scales arent accurate). Make sure where you are weighing yourself the floor is flat and even. Weigh yourself in the exact same position monthly. Another reason why weighing at home should be done monthly is due to the inaccuracy of the scales. A lot of scales have notches in between the stones which equal 2 pounds. there is nothing in between. So you wont know if have lost half a lb or 1 lb. It is difficult to judge exactly. After a month you will be able to judge and giving and taking slightly and not be demotivated with the result.

Aje Fitness

I weight myself at the same time every week now. Thanks :) Well I am on Xenical for 1 month and after my 1st month is over, I need to go to the doctor's and see if I have lost 5% of my body fat...but my doctor's scales will be different to my home ones...Also my clothes are an extra 2 pounds so that doesn't help lol. Also I am keeping a spreadsheet of my measurements :) All I want to do is lose inches after inches everywhere lol!

Well I get colds a lot lol. My scales were priced at £15. They are Salter scales. And yh I leave the scales in the same place since I have had them. Thank you for your advice.

Weighing yourself before working out will give you a more accurate picture of your weight. After a workout, you’re likely to weigh less due to water loss. Don’t believe me? Weigh yourself before and after a cardio workout, just for fun. Chances are you’ll see some “weight” loss.

I never said I didn't believe you lol joking :) Thanks David, I haven't started doing exercise again yet so I will do that. What if I drink lots of water during my workout?

The scale can also me misleading if you gain muscle so it will look like you have put on some weight.
I think it's important to measure your body with a measure tape around the stomach, arms, thighs etc.

Just a little tip :)

Don't weigh yourself too often. It can be misleading and discouraging. If your goal is to lose 1 pound a week, then do it once a week on the same scale, the same time. I do it once a week in the gym.

Hennemann Coaching

When I lost over 5 stone, I weighed once a week, no matter when I woke on that day (it doesn't matter about time) just as long as its before you eat anything. If you're worried that your scales aren't working, i'd weigh in a pharmacy or something. Oh and weighing every week is difficult because no matter how good you are there are always weeks you put on. I found that 2 weeks before my totm is due, i'd put on 2/3lbs, so as long as you're prepared for that, its not too bad.

Back