weight gain information

mummy2beslim

taking one day at a time
thought this was good info

First and foremost, it is important to accept that you are going to put on weight during pregnancy! You are meant to because your body is growing and changing to give your baby the best start in life. Here's where the extra weight comes from:

• At birth, your baby will weigh approximately 3,300g (7.3lb).

• During pregnancy, the muscle layer of your womb (uterus) grows dramatically and weighs an extra 900g (2lb).

• The placenta (afterbirth), which keeps your baby nourished, weighs 600g (1.3lb).

• Your breasts weigh an extra 400g (0.9lb).

• Your blood volume increases and weighs an extra 1,200g (2.6lb)
• You have extra fluid in your body, and amniotic fluid around the baby, weighing 2,600g (5.7lb).

• Plus, you will lay down some fat during your pregnancy to provide you with extra energy for breastfeeding. This comes to about 2,500g (5.5lb).

So, by the end of pregnancy you will weigh about 11,000g (24.2lb)
more than you did before you became pregnant. This is an average weight gain but of course, you're not an average woman. And no woman is. Our pregnancy weight gain estimator can give you a more personalised indication of what you might gain. The amount of weight you should gain will depend on how heavy you were before you became pregnant. Or more accurately, on what your body mass index (BMI) was (see Calculating your Body Mass Index (BMI), below).
gain will depend on how heavy you were before you became pregnant. Or more accurately, on what your body mass index (BMI) was (see Calculating your Body Mass Index (BMI), below).

Will I be weighed in pregnancy?

Advertisement

Not so long ago, pregnant women used to be weighed every time they went for an antenatal check. Then doctors realised that this made a lot of women very anxious and in any case, wasn't a particularly good way of assessing how well the pregnancy was going. They also realised that weight gain in pregnancy should be related to a woman's BMI before she became pregnant. For this reason, it's now recommended that your midwife calculates your BMI when you have your booking appointment.

Calculating your Body Mass Index (BMI)

In order to calculate your BMI, your midwife needs to know how tall you are in metres and how heavy you are in kilograms. If you would like to have a go at doing it yourself, here's how it's done:

1. Multiply your height in metres by your height in metres. If you are 5 feet 3 inches, your height in metres is 1.6m. So multiply 1.6 by 1.6 which gives you 2.56.
2. Then divide your weight in kg by this figure. So, if you weigh 60kg, your BMI will be 60 divided by 2.56 = 23.43.

Alternatively, if maths isn't your thing, you can calculate your BMI using our BMI calculator.
Here's how your BMI is classified:
BMI less than 18.5 - Underweight
BMI 18.5-25 - Ideal
BMI 25-30 - Overweight
BMI 30-40 - Obese
BMI greater than 40 - Severely obese

Your BMI and pregnancy weight gain

In the 1990s, the Institute of Medicine in the US recommended that women should aim for a weight gain related to their pre-pregnancy BMI:

• If your BMI was less than 19.8, you should aim for a weight gain of between 12.5 and 18kg (28 to 40lb).

• If your BMI was between 19.8 and 26, you should aim for a weight gain of 11.5 to 16kg (25 to 35lb). • If your BMI was above 26, you should aim for a weight gain of 7 to 11.5kg (15 to 25lb).

The 1 2 3 rule summarises this in a way that is easy to understand:
• If you were overweight before you became pregnant, you should aim for a weight gain of around 1 stone.

• If you were a normal weight, you should aim for a weight gain of around 2 stone.

• If you were underweight, you should aim for a weight gain of around 3 stone.

If you are under 20 years of age, you should aim for a weight gain at the top end of the range for someone with your pre-pregnancy BMI.

this is really interesting :)
I gained 1 stone late into my last pregnancy with DD. I had lost that stone straight after I came home..
:)

hope to repeat that! lol

wow that was good I gained 2 1/2 stone and id lost stone and half when I got home lol just shows though how much we gain without even realising with all the water blood etc and off course baby :)

yeah exactly. :) I was about 7 and a half months before I gained 1lb and then whoooosh I gained a stone! lol Baby was 7lb 3oz.. seems strange calling her a baby though as she's 10 now! :p

I'm the same weight now, and am going to try and keep to that for a month at a time.

yes its really difficult as im feeling sicky had chipsj for dinner :break_diet:then I have bought tin off tomato soup for tea as I feel sickly and a crusty loaf which is not good :eek:

if you are like me you're craving hot bread!! last time I went off bread! lol now I'm off tea..
Don't beat yourself up - we can be good when we can ;)

yes im trying not to eat too much and just be sensible im 11stone 3 at the moment and going to try eat well for bubbsbut not over eat on rubbish lol

Ugh am trying right now to maintain my weight, ready to start putting some on in the next trimester. Unfortunately I've lost 10lbs since finding out I'm pregnant, as the sickness makes eating hard. My consultant is not best pleased!

I went off rice for a bit and chocolate makes me feel sick after I have eaten it boo hoo
wow shellbell 10lbs I thought I may have lost a few lbs giving up my glass of wine lol

thanks for the advice on weight gain...was looking at a uk pregnancy site today trying to get just this advice and their predictors said I should have started at a weight of 10 stone! of course as I started off at 13 stone I was already 'very over weight'... b*gger off!!

I have been thinking of trying to follow slimming world even if it is to just try and maintain my weight. Any advice?

slimming world is good I was following the plan before I was pregnant and will be going back to it .I could not stick to it as I wasnt fancying healthy foods and was eating naughty crisps chips etc but feeling a bit better and think ill go back soon .It is really easy to follow and there isa few choices off plan if you want the basic info if you pm me your e-mail address ill send you what you need to get started x

I'm off to buy a battery for my scales today as it's conked out. I was in the high 12's last time I weighed, really want to stay in the 12's as long as I possibly can. I was 15st 4lb at the end of January though so all is not lost, just got to remember that any weight we've lost in the past and kept off is a bonus for our pregnancy. :)
And if we stop ourselves gaining aobut 3 or 4 stone during pregnancy we are doing better than so many others out there! ((hugs)) well done all.

I've been advised that I should expect to put on 1 to 1 1/2 stone by my dietician. Since then I've lost 11lbs though lol, as I am really struggling to maintain my weight (morning sickness + tiny tummy + unable to eat sweet/fatty foods = weight loss). So not sure whether I should be aiming to put that 11 back on and the 1 - 1 1/2 stone on top?

Back