Weight loss Diary & General musings...

Hiya, postponed my weigh in until next Tuesday at 8pm so I can try to get off anything I have gained by then!
This is my 3rd day back on the diet now.
First day I had 3 shakes and a tuna salad, second day I had 3 shakes and one small potato wedgie!
Today I'm going to try to have just the 3 shakes but tomorrow I'm out for a meal in greenwich, not sure what the menus like but hoping for chicken salad of some variety...

Did u have a gd weekend though? Well done on getting back to it u should be fine on Tuesday!! Hope all the wedding plans are going ok?

I hope so! Did go abit mad though, ate until it hurt :(
It was nice, really like York so might have to go back again at some point!
Wedding plans haven't really been moving much, lost abit of enthusiasm for it at the mo, probably just cos I'm stint and its going to cost a fortune! Hummm :(
Got a letter the other day from the registrar with costs and it works out to about £750 for the ceremony (570) then paper fees and booking fees ontop, what a rip off!!!

Weddings cost a fortune! And then you need loads of marriage certificates to change your name on everything if you're taking his name (which I am). Just have onto make a budget and try to stick to it.

Urggh I did that a few weekends ago ate till I couldn't move, why do we do it though hey! Weddings are a rip off, my friend has just got engaged and thinks she can do it for less that 3 grand, it won't be a lavish ceremony obviously but I don't think she will do it as u mention weddings to places and the price bumps up by double!!!

I know its sucha rip.... I don't think I will change my name doesn't sounds right. I was thinking double barrel but then I will have to change my passport and everything else urgggh effort.
I mean, of course I want it to be special cos you only do it once (if you're lucky lol) but I can't bare to think of spending so much money on ONE DAY, which is essentially just a party really isnt it.... Gah!
I'm thinking maybe I should've waited a little longer, enjoyed being engaged without the pressure and saved abit on our own first. Paid the deposit for the venue now thou *sigh*

I like to think that when I come off properly it will be different, when I'm just off for a couple of days its like a mad rush to stuff as much in as possible! When I know I'm going to be eating semi normally there will be no rush to eat everything in sight because I'll know I can have whatever I want within reason, if that makes sense?

Kind if wish we'd waited a bit longer to save too now, but still looking forward to it. Got less than 6 months now and I haven't really done much planning at all.
You've still got over a year to save :) so I'm sure you'll be fine.

You look at this diet the way I do. Hopefully this will be the only time we need to do it x

weddings can be cheap, but very few are... :)

what i would recommend is talking to your fiance about what kind of wedding you both want. what your priorities are. you have the food and the number of guests fixed now - but you've still loads of flexibility. all kinds of things are completely optional, and so should only make it into your wedding if they are essential to the wedding that the pair of you really want.

I want to say, there's nothing wrong with any of these things if you want to spend the money on them and they'll make you happy. I had some of them and loved them. But they are things that add up to a lot of expense and really don't make much difference to the experience of the day.

Favours - completely optional. Can you imagine even noticing you didn't get a favour at a wedding?
Hire cars - i bet among your guest list there will be an auntie or cousin with a flash motor, who would be honoured to play chauffeur for the day.
Table centres - not that I want to do down my future job, but tables don't need centres. Or if you feel the need, what about some plain white pillar candles? And if tables don't need centres they certainly don't need confetti or scatter crystals or personalised lovehearts or printed napkins...
Chair covers - really, all those people who got married before chair-cover companies existed... d'you think any of them gave a toss about how pretty their chairs were.
Hire suits for the groom and best man (see also matching cravats and brocade waistcoats) - if it makes him happy, then absolutely... but most grooms wouldn't dream of getting their bride trussed up in a wedding outfit just cos it was what they wanted... most blokes would prefer a simple suit or similar... so why not?
a makeup artist - when you do your makeup, you look like you. when someone else does it, you'll look different. if you're not used to wearing makeup, then it might be essential but otherwise? You could even teach yourself (or a bridesmaid) how to do your preferred hairdo.
Vodka luge / photobooth / sweetie bar / conjurer / balloon animals artist... It's a party. There will be food and booze and music. People can entertain themselves.
A DJ / band - in this day of ipods, what's needed is a sound system and a rota of musically interested mates to do a 90 min slot each. family-friendly stuff in the early evening, gradually moving to more full-on tunes after midnight.
A hen weekend - a day will do. it'll still be lovely, i absolutely promise. just a zillion times cheaper with no hotel to pay for.
A tailored, traditional wedding dress from a wedding boutique - loads of ways to save on the frock. Order a traditional dress from china (it's where most wedding dresses come from anyway - just you get the saving that would be the wedding shop's profit), or go for something retro and funky (fifties-style frocks suit your body shape, as you know) and Vivien of Holloway sell them for under £100. Choose a colour other than white, or a 'bridesmaid' dress, and save a huge chunk. Or employ a local seamstress and buy a pattern and the fabric yourself. You could get a made to measure silk dress for a few hundred pounds.
'proper' bridesmaid dresses. start looking now, and if you don't see anything you like yet, wait til xmas when the party frocks are in the shops. wait til you know your colours and the style of your dress first, though.
A big gift for your fiance on the day - agree to postpone this til the first anniversary, and write each other a letter instead.
a big cake - how about a tower of cupcakes (get the bridesmaids to make them the day before). Or howabout a mountain of doughnuts from sainsburys? Bought on the morning, they'll still be tasty by the evening.

don't lose your excitement, honey. just have a clearer idea of what kind of wedding you're wanting to create. You don't have to have the stuff other people do. A wedding is a promise and a party... everything else is your free choice.

Some great tips there spangles.
I'm doing the cupcake tower and me and my bridesmaids are making them :) that's one of the reasons I've been baking so much, for practice.

Plenty of time for saving and coming up with different ideas yet.

Ooh and if you see bridesmaids dresses in a shop you can usually get them cheaper online by using voucher sites. Got mine from debenhams and ended up getting them half price by using different voucher codes.

I got my wedding dress from a charity shop. It was brand new but the wedding shops in the area all donate their end of line dresses so it's like a proper wedding shop of new dresses just without the price. Maybe they have a shop like this near you?

AnnieAnnie said:
I got my wedding dress from a charity shop. It was brand new but the wedding shops in the area all donate their end of line dresses so it's like a proper wedding shop of new dresses just without the price. Maybe they have a shop like this near you?

I went to a dress sale held at confetti in London - millions of dresses at about 90 % off. Didn't get mind there though bit there wad plenty for smaller ladies

it's contraversial, this one - but i don't think the bride should necessarily pay for the bridesmaid dresses if they're regular party frocks and they get to choose them themselves. you know your girls best, but i wouldn't mind buying my own frock if i liked it and would wear it again, and i knew my mate was on a tight budget. Ditto shoes / earrings etc.

Incidentally, things i think are more important:

some kind of gift/flowers for the mums. they'll be expecting it, and they're your mums, ffs.

pro photos - we weren't going to bother as we didn't want any posed shots and had various mates with pro standard kit. Then we were offered our photos for free by a portrait photographer looking to diversify into weddings and wanting to build her portfolio. After the wedding i felt like weeping because there wasn't a single flattering photo of me from the whole thing. Nothing I could have framed. I was devastated. A couple of months later (when you get it for free, you can't complain how long it takes!) we got the pro shots back, and it was such a relief, i was overjoyed. The photos were a world away from the technically excellent but massively unflattering ones my mates had taken. The thought that we nearly didn't bother sometimes makes me wake up in a cold sweat.

a guest book - you won't get to spend quality time with all your guests, but a guest book means they can send you a personal message. we also had a tree in the orchard that people tied little card luggage tags to, with a message on.

Oh, and i thought of some more inessential expenses: a fancy-looking table plan. People will look at it for less than a minute. One sheet per table, knocked up in MS word. Job done. Ditto, place cards.

Disposable cameras on tables - enormously expensive (processing film more than the initial cost) and people have lost the knack of taking a decent shot without composing it on the screen of a digital camera. Then you may also have the lad factor - pre digital cameras, my sister got married and had cameras on tables. When she paid to get them developed, there were over fifty pictures of the insides of men's trousers / the inside of toilet bowls etc. she married an ex-RAF, rugby club type, but it's not unheard of in other circles. Also , it's just not needed now. Instead, put a sign on each table with an email address they can send photos to - even as they take them!

Me and 'im indoors got married for less than £200. Me, him, 2 witnesses, a meal for 4 which the witnesses paid for as a wedding present. I was 8 months pregnant though! Him and his best man travelled to the registery office on their scooters, can't remember how me and my 'bridesmaid' got there. My bride outfit was out of mothercare and I wore black, lol!

Attachments

• wedding 1.jpg
    wedding 1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 51
  • wedding6.jpg
    wedding6.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 60
8 yrs ago my wedding cost us £2000 we had a registry office wedding then a reception for 80 people in a pubs function room.. Uncle did the photography, mom paid for my hair tone done, we own a kebab shop so they catered some and we also had a buffet :) they can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make them. To me what's important is you and your fiancé and whether you enjoy it.

My husband is Turkish and many of the guests were Turkish men and the dancing was amazing kept my family entertained for hours even had my uncle dancing on the table lol

Its the registrar thats worrying me most, £750 for him to just do the ceremony, how can that be right? Is there any alternative way do you think.... Just seems like such a big chunk of our budget for 20 mins, urgh!!

I'm saving money on invitations, save the date cards & table plans cos I can print those and make them myself. So that's saved a rather big chunk cos those are ridiculously expensive!
As for guest book, again I was gunna do something printed, I was thinking abit of typography with one of 'our songs' lyrics in then a white card border around the edge people can sign and write messages on, would rather have something we can look at rather than a book which probably won't be opened again after the weddings over.
CAKE! We're having individual cakes made in different flavours, going to see if we can borrow a cake stand from a shop or buying one would still work out cheaper, if 3 individual cakes cost us £30 each it still works out a hell of alot cheaper than a 3 tier cake!
Entertainment is abit of a struggle, we know a few DJ'd but more for the mixing dnb styles than the traditional party music - which is what we want! A band would be nice too, but again its big money.

Dress! I don't think I could spend that much on a dress, probably limit myself to £500 which still seems extortionate! But its a pretty big thing for me because I'm hoping I will be a nice weight by then and be proud enough to show myself off abit. Would love a rockabilly style dress, red petticoat and red shoes! so hoping that would still suit my figure when I'm smaller, but who knows :)

Centre pieces I've been mocking some ideas together, we like a rustic look so I might do plants instead of flowers, cheaper and they double up as favours aswell. Planted in striped cans or jars look really lovely too! Favours we can do chocolate bars with our pics on, again I can print those so only have to pay for the chocolates and we're going to use club bars & kit kats so cheap cheap!

I have a beautiful wedding dress in my wardrobe for sale!!! Lol!!! I spent 900 on mine but I would recommend waiting for the sales which are just after Xmas as you will pay a fraction of the cost!!! Xxx

Hello wow your a busy lady :) hope your well big hugs xx

I can totally picture your wedding dress! red shoes, red petticoat and red lips, it would look so lovely! I've not managed to track down those photos from our make up show but I'll find a willing girl and recreate it for you.

Have a look around at bakeries or cupcake shops in your area, one near me does a rental for around 20 quid, that holds around 50 cupcakes, so they might do something you're looking for at a local bakery/cake shop.

Back