Weight-Loss Obsession

Sarah-Jayne

Gold Member
Morning everyone,

I have been talking to a few family members over the past few days about my weight. They all feel that I have a obsession with weight-loss. At first they said it was fine as I was simply loosing weight and it was nothing to worry about but now they all feel that i'm taking it too far and im loosing too much weight.

Personally I dont think i'm loosing to much weight but I do think that im becoming obsessed with my weight and what I eat.

Question, is this a good thing? Does it simply mean that im just dedicated or could it really be a serious weight-loss obsession? Does anyone else have the same situation as me?

Thanks, Sarah xXx

i am exactly the same, i am boring myself with how much i go on abpout slimming and losing , it's not a bad thing unless you are losing so much your bmi becomes dangerous it just means your enjoying your success your enthusiastic because it's making you happy, it's part of the reason i come here because i know people wont get bored of me wittering on XXXX

It could be your family now see that you've lost all that weight, look fabulous and your family are concerned you think you still have weight to lose?

It's good that you are aware of what you're eating, but it is important that you are giving yourself your syns and eating enough of the good stuff :)

I think we all get a bit obsessed with the plan, how much we are losing (or not) and what we're eating. When you say you're getting obsessed with what you eat, how do you mean? Do you feel you're eating enough?

xx

I can understand your family's worries Sarah-Jayne, they see you looking so lovely now that you have lost weight and they think because you want to lose a few more pounds you are in danger of becoming an 'eating disorder' statistic....

Lose a little more weight by all means, but please be aware of your BMI all the time and don't go below it.

And make sure you keep eating and not skipping meals or 'starving' yourself just for the sake of an extra 1lb of weight lost.

These eating dis-orders are so easy to slip into, that you don't realise you are there until you are dangerously thin and ill.

I know that you are a sensible girl and you know what you are doing, but as I say I can see your family's side of it.

So take care and good luck with your final SW goal. X

I'm such a diet bore! Like Ria, I come on here cos I know you guys won't get bored, we are all in the same boat.

I've done SW for 2 years and I can go on and on about it for hours, it is my life, it is the way I eat and even though I have been at target for close on a year, I still "diet" and still follow the "diet".

I still think I have more weight to lose (I'd love another half stone) but am constantly told that I look good and don't need to lose any more weight. To be honest Sarah, only you know in yourself how you feel, no-one else does and you will be happy when you get there.

Like the others have said, as long as your BMI is in the healthy range then you have nothing to worry about.

You're fine :)

To be honest Sarah, only you know in yourself how you feel, no-one else does and you will be happy when you get there.

This is exactly what I tell my family!

Thank god it's not just me that thinks like this. I worry that people are getting sick of hearing me go on and on about SW and watching me constantly referr to my food directory lol but on here i feel normal!

:D

Hi Sarah-Jayne,

Sometimes this can be a sabotage tactic from jealous friends and family. Please dont think i am saying your friends and family are jealous but i have seen it so many times before.

Just because you are enthusiastic about something doesnt mean you are obsessed with it.

Although i would be concerned if you start weighing yourself obsessively or skipping meals - i think this is the point when it goes to far.

People tend to say this about anything we are enthusiastic about. My family think im obsessed with the gym because i go 7 days a week if i can, they dont see that on some of the days i go for a swim, steam and sauna but in their eyes they think im running on the treadmill for 2 hours then lifting weights like a body builder :p

My friend is a chef and he talks about food 24/7 and again, people say he is obsessed - its his job!!! He is passionate and enthusiastic about it.

I would say you have nothing to be worried about unless you really start developing issues with food and the number on the scales :cool:

You don't mention how tall you are so it's difficult to know if you are a healthy weight range or not, but assuming you are, then if you feel ok with loosing a couple more pounds thats your right to do so. I think people get so used to seeing us with a bit of a covering on us that when that goes we can look a bit on the thin side to people who know us well, but to anyone seeing you for the first time, it would be a different story. They would just see you as a lovely slim person who is "normal" and wouldn't think twice about it. Don't worry about it, just go with what feels right for you, and if you need to, tell the family you are not dieting anymore just to shut them up and get them off your case lol.

i think there is also a fine line with the eating disorder label too, i have dieted long before slimming world were i have really not eaten alot and exercises every day i knew i was thin i knew were i wanted to get too and just because your determined doesn make it an illness people are too quick to think oh she is anorexic or bulimic, when you see someone that is slim and doesn eat alot it's because they want to stay that thin not because they have a genuine mental illness, some people just have more will power i have a friend at work eats three small meals a day and is very slim but she knows she is slim and thinks she looks great she isn't always trying to lose weight just maintain iut and we all knmow that takes alot of will power, i know the point i'm trying to make i just don't think it's coming accross, ... ok as long as you aren't starving yourself to the point of misery or harming your health then i think you will be ok and me and you have had a few convos about food sarah so i think your fine XXXXX

Im 5ft 6 and weigh 10st 2lb now, started off at 12st 8lb.
I think my sister is jealous as she has always been the skinner one out of us both but she has just had a kid and has a baby belly, however, if i had a figure like hers after having a baby i would be well happy!

You're only 2 lbs from goal! Well done! I keep a diary and at times I think it's taking over my life! I don't go on about it but if people ask I can bore for Britain! Your goal weight seems sensible enough (unless you're 6 ft 5"!) Work out your BMI and go from there. But even then it doesn't give a true picture! On the Wii it says I should weigh 9st 11lbs! Never in a million years!
As long as you're healthy and eating enough you'll be ok.

I love SW and all the food i can eat and i never skip meals unless i have something reallu important on, and even then i make up for it anyway!

I keep changing my target weight to less and less though! when i hit target i will probably change it to 9st 7lb knowing me!

Hi Sarah-Jayne, I think at 5 foot 6, the healthy weight range is 9-11 stone (which is why I picked 10 as my target). I can understand people worrying, but they also do not know how worried we are about slipping up once we reach our target. I too am a diet bore (and well aware of it). People at work must be utterly sick of hearing about it, about what I can and can't eat. At least I have stopped giving them weekly updates, even though I was overjoyed to reach my half-way mark on Sunday (weigh-in day).

Incidentally, even right at the start of my diet, a number of people told me my target was too low, even when I explained the reason behind it. I just ignore people and do what I think is right.
Tracy

My OH told me that I was 'getting obsessed' with my diet last week, when I was panicking that I might have put weight on for a fourth week (I hadn't as it turned out). he said, 'you know how you hate people who talk about their diets and worry about what they might eat all the time? - well you're turning into one of those'....I thought..eeeek, am I? Then realised that, last week, I WAS...but I think now, I've calmed down a bit.
Now, it sounds to me like your family are worried about you, which is a good thing, but on the other hand, if you carry on eating the SW way, surely you'll know (and your body will tell you) when to admit you've reached target?? x

People tell me all the time that my target is too low. They aren't too bad if I say I want to be 'just under 10' but when I say '9½ stone' they go 'oooooh that's too much, you'll look scrawny, don't go too far' etc. etc.

Thing is, we can't win sometimes! We get congratulated for losing weight, because we were hefty before and people now think we look better...but then we get told not to go too far?

Hello? It's up to me to decide where I am comfortable with my weight. I will maintain when I'm ready and happy thank you.

Why do people think they've got a right to comment on weight when you're losing it? Do you know what I mean? That winds me up sometimes. I mean, it's lovely and well-meaning (sometimes) but the thing about jealous definitely creeps in there I reckon.

I am not in a wonderful mood today, sorry! LOL!

Upshot is, Sarah - you decide what is suitable for you. Only you know what a challenge it's been getting there, and how your body feels...so you choose xxx

Hiya Jes, when my weight loss slows down or stops then I know im at my target weight. Initially I thought i would be happy and by weight-loss would slow down at about 10 stone but it appears to just keep going, so i think im just going to keep on going until i stop. Ive now had to tell my family that I wont loose anymore weight just to keep them happy lol.

Oh...but yes. I am obsessed and admit it! But that's cos I am LOVING losing weight and SW. Better to be obessed like this and have some control mechanism over the food we eat, instead of it controlling us. I think it's in the nature of most of us curvier people, to be food obsessed!

Thats a great rant Hellie! Hope you feel better for it, i know i feel better for reading it! Its so much better that i can come on here and people have the same opinions and support what you say! Thank you all!

Im going to stop when im happy, at the end of the day, im doing this diet for me and no one else.

My family are really panicked about me being on SW because I'm getting obsessed but I've been obsessed with food since I was about 11. I berate myself so much over my binges and talk about food/syns/SW all the time. I understand their concerns because I had anorexia and then bulimia for a long time, even spending months in hospital. I tried to 'recover' and ended up overweight. I'm not in a bad (eating disordered) headspace and I'll never let myself lose enough to be ill again.

Back