Weight loss on a budget

Dear Mat,

Have you thought how much your parents are spending on food/drinks for you? Talk to them, it may well work out that they are spending far more than the weekly cost of a VLCD and they would be happy to pay the VLCD bill and reduce their own outgoings.

Would it be so embarrasing/difficult to discuss it with them?

:rolleyes:From a parent's point of view I would be absolutely delighted if my teenagers tried to help me reduce my food bills rather than eat me out of house & home but I do understand that there is rather an age difference between you and them. :rolleyes:

However if either of them came to me with the desire to lose weight and the reasoned argument about VLCD then I hope I would be of a mindset to help, and I also hope I would call it a real result in my bank balance. Thankfully they are both well within the recommended BMI for their ages - tis only their parents who are turning into barrels:eek:

Hope you don't think I am interfering & all the very best with your studies:D

Hi Helen,

You're not interfering at all. My parents do a weekly shop and it usually works out to around £100 for 4 people. The more over £100 it is, the more he moans at my Mum!! You know what men are like. Chances are, that wouldn’t really change much for them. I probably have 2 proper meals a week out of what they buy, as most of the time I am buying junk food. It’s now got to the point where I can’t buy anymore junk food because I am out of money. I may be able to talk to them and see if it’s possible they could help me for a few months or so. I just feel bad and embarrassed about asking.

If I had been more careful with my money I would be able to afford it. It was also only the day I joined here that I realised a lot more about VLCD’s and that they aren’t actually bad for you and that there is a nice forum such as this to get great advice and help. I am mad at myself, but I have to look ahead.

Maybe the lack of junk food will help to shift those lbs!

I'm sure it will Helen, but I'm also sure I'll have to make much more effort than just that. :)

I've devised my own vlcd (meal replacement plan), they have been around before the big names, people and there are great meal replacements that will save you a wadge of dosh if on a budget...you just don't have the counselling or group weigh-ins...

Hi nexangelus,

Sounds interesting. Out of interest, what are the meal replacements that you are using?

Hi nexangelus,

Sounds interesting. Out of interest, what are the meal replacements that you are using?

As long as you have no pre-existing medical conditions (diabetes, thyroid, heart, liver, etc and are on medication to treat these conditions), have consulted your family doctor and are otherwise fit...then there are a variety you can choose from. ASDA now do their own shakes (like slimfast) for example. There is the slimfast range (and yes they can be used as total meal replacements safely if you meet the above conditions). I personally use a high protein based combination as I lift quite heavy weights now. So protein bars (Atkins or any protein bars that can be purchased at health food stores or even supermarkets now) and shakes. My fave is the Met-Rx meal replacement sachets and the Sci-Mx diet shake (these come in vanilla, strawberry and choc flavours) 2kg size (10 - 14 days' worth for just £29 including p & p off ebay)...or £22 for 20 sachets. Just type in the words 'meal replacement' on ebay search and you will find a host of alternatives to the big brand names out there. My secret is out!

The only draw back, if you can call it that, to doing this yourself, is the lack of the group environment which can encourage and support...and the weigh-ins which can be confidence boosting when done officially...but if you want to save time, quite a bit of money and don't need the group environment to motivate you, then if it is safe to do so medically (though most doctors view vlcds as very extreme) there are all the other options. They don't have magic ingredients or differ much to the ones that have been around years previous to them.

I also used whey protein supplements in between to increase my lean mass as well as the meal replacements...upping the protein (not to Atkins levels though) really does make a difference.

I also take vitamins and other things for my joints as well as I am a bit of a worrier in that way. Perhaps I don't need the extra supplements, but I aways take them just in case...

So basically sole source meal replacement is three shakes and a bar a day or four shakes (I think it used to be three before) Might be wrong, might still be thee 3 shakes a day or 2 shakes and a bar per day. The principle is the same though and the calories work out similarly in similar ratios to the big names.

Hi and thanks for the info Nexangelus. I will look take a look at those products when I get chance. I'm not sure I like the idea of doing something without it being monitored properly. But sometimes you have to go with what you can afford. I have yet to speak to my GP, so still have more time to research and think about things.

Back