Weight loss ond PCOS

salski

Manchester City FC!
Hi all - I suffer with PCOS and my symptoms include too much testosterone which therefore causes no menstruation, very dark skin where insulin builds excessive weight and hirsuitism. I have been prescribed various things such spirolatone, metformin, vaniqua cream and finally a gastric bypass.
I have real issues with taking medication - especially as in my head I was only young when prescribed (21-23) so I only took the Spirolactone for about 6 months. I saw not difference. I also had one or two periods when I was 13 and none since then.
I have since had the bypass and lost 5 stones so far and countying, and the reason I am posting this is that since losing the weight, I have had 3 periods, each month without fail! So for anyone out there that is really struggling with the lack of menstruation, weight loss really does help! I feel like a woman, a real woman!
I couldnt lose the weight alone and needed help so go see your GP if you find that you are the same!
HTH
Sally x

I totally agree with what you have said!
I have PCOS, I have lost nearly 4 stone and my periods are now every 28 days and have been for the past 3 cycles!! I feel so much better, its been hard but its so worth all the effort!!

spironolactone didn't help me either, i took it for almost a year :(

i'm hoping weight loss will help me too, i can't go on metformin until i come off the Cambridge Plan I'm on, but hope to try it when I'm at goal weight, if I need to! UNFORTUNATELY i still get my periods in their heavy painful crampy glory, but I do suffer from the other stuff, like fine hair on my head (it's nowhere near as bad as some people with PCOS and I thank my lucky stars I don't have bald patches, but how I wish for a lustrous mane!) and hirsutism.

thanks for sharing ladies and well done on your amazing achievements <3

Hi salski!
I want you to know that your weight loss inspires me tons! And I am thrilled to hear about your experience with PCOS, as I have symptoms of PCOS too. I am only 21 years old, but I have type 2 diabetes, as well as PCOS, possible high blood pressure, and various other obesity related weight problems.
Of all the problems I face, PCOS is the one that worries me the most. I know I am still young, but I hope to be a mommy one day, and I don't want my personal eating problems to be the thing stopping me from having children. I don't want to wake up when I am ready to have kids and say "oh hey this is a problem," but rather, I want to deal with it now so that my body is ready whenever I am.
Thanks for sharing your story, you inspire me!

Hi salski!
I want you to know that your weight loss inspires me tons! And I am thrilled to hear about your experience with PCOS, as I have symptoms of PCOS too. I am only 21 years old, but I have type 2 diabetes, as well as PCOS, possible high blood pressure, and various other obesity related weight problems.
Of all the problems I face, PCOS is the one that worries me the most. I know I am still young, but I hope to be a mommy one day, and I don't want my personal eating problems to be the thing stopping me from having children. I don't want to wake up when I am ready to have kids and say "oh hey this is a problem," but rather, I want to deal with it now so that my body is ready whenever I am.
Thanks for sharing your story, you inspire me!

Thank you for your reply hun! Im glad you found it helpful in some way!
I was 22 when I began getting more and more symptoms, my lack of periods never bothered me until I knew why! The beard Im currently sporting is also an awful look! Haha
Keep me updated with your journey xx

spironolactone didn't help me either, i took it for almost a year :(

i'm hoping weight loss will help me too, i can't go on metformin until i come off the Cambridge Plan I'm on, but hope to try it when I'm at goal weight, if I need to! UNFORTUNATELY i still get my periods in their heavy painful crampy glory, but I do suffer from the other stuff, like fine hair on my head (it's nowhere near as bad as some people with PCOS and I thank my lucky stars I don't have bald patches, but how I wish for a lustrous mane!) and hirsutism.

thanks for sharing ladies and well done on your amazing achievements <3

Wow there is another symptom to add to the list! I never knew that hair on your head could be affected?! It seems so unfair as I got it sprouting everywhere and there is those out there that need it! I would be more than happy to donate! Haha
Please keep me posted on how your getting on with your weight loss. My best friend has just begun the Camebride diet on Monday, so it would be good to hear how your finding it! x

I totally agree with what you have said!
I have PCOS, I have lost nearly 4 stone and my periods are now every 28 days and have been for the past 3 cycles!! I feel so much better, its been hard but its so worth all the effort!!

Excellent hun! Thats fantastic news! It made me feel so normal to have a period...more womanly and less manly!
x

hey girls, love reading your stories, you really inspire me =D x x

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know how my weight loss has affected my PCOS. Before I started my diet, i was getting my period about twice a year! I got my period one week before I started, so I thought I would have months before my next one. Imagine my shock when, three weeks into my diet, which was just 4 weeks after my previous period, I got it again! And then, the most amazing thing, I got it another four weeks after that! Now I am due for my period again, in another week, and I hope and pray that the perfect cycle will continue. I can't begin to describe the amazing feeling of "expecting" my period. It's the first time in my entire life that I have experienced it...
It can be done ladies!

hello all,
I too have pcos, with all that it entails... fat around the tum, hairy chin and dark skin under my arms but I still have regular periods.
I was diognosed at 17 after not having my period for 3months, but after that it has been normal.
I tried metformin for a while but found my stomach didnt agree with it, so i was then put on another version of it(i forget what its called) which didn't make any difference. I also tried the hair cream vaqula? which made it worse!!! Honestly I didnt stick to any of them for more than 6 months, and being young and traveling a lot missed appointents with my endocrinologist.

any way, now im living in italy and I am finally doing something about the root cause!
however I'm finding it REALLY hard to lose weight through diet and exercise.
am on the GI diet and I'm running 30mins a day as well as yoga and pilates, but nothing doing.
I'm pleased my fitness is increasing but frustrated and disheartened that all my hard work isnt paying off!
does any one have any tips on specific things I should do!

are there any requirements for surgery? and any side effects?

cheers

v

PS
The best thing for the excess hair is an epilator.
very cheap, around £30
hurts a bit for the first few goes but then you can hardly feel it!
I used to shave but it got to the stage where it was never totally smooth, then would grow back in a matter of hours, talk about 5 o'clock shadow!

hope this helps

v

Hi all,
I have pcos too. I have had four laser hair removal treatments to get rid of all unwanted hair on my face and still have another eight to have. Laser has helped my problem of facial hair and the regrowth is less and fine.
I have irregular periods, but since my weight loss i do have a more regular cycles. Still the lengths of the cycles vary but are not as bad before.
We have been trying for a baby for 12 years now and i have had 1 ectopic pregnancy and 5 miscarriages :cry:. Now the docs say only weightloss will give me a better chance of conceiving and having a baby.
Well the weightloss is not easy because of pcos and stress at times but i am not going to give up.
Hopefully one day i will be able to share with you all the good news of having a baby! :)
But till then i'll read all your messages to help get to my goal! ;)

Last edited:
hello all,
I too have pcos, with all that it entails... fat around the tum, hairy chin and dark skin under my arms but I still have regular periods.
I was diognosed at 17 after not having my period for 3months, but after that it has been normal.
I tried metformin for a while but found my stomach didnt agree with it, so i was then put on another version of it(i forget what its called) which didn't make any difference. I also tried the hair cream vaqula? which made it worse!!! Honestly I didnt stick to any of them for more than 6 months, and being young and traveling a lot missed appointents with my endocrinologist.

any way, now im living in italy and I am finally doing something about the root cause!
however I'm finding it REALLY hard to lose weight through diet and exercise.
am on the GI diet and I'm running 30mins a day as well as yoga and pilates, but nothing doing.
I'm pleased my fitness is increasing but frustrated and disheartened that all my hard work isnt paying off!
does any one have any tips on specific things I should do!

are there any requirements for surgery? and any side effects?

cheers

v

Hey there!

I have pcos and started the low gi diet in January. I lost about 3 pounds in one week and was actually quite pleased with that but then nothing...at all...until this morning! For two months I kept wondering what I had done wrong-I was eating all the right things and exercising regularly.

I'm not sure of the reason for why I stopped losing any but my advice to you is keep at it-it will come off. As long as you eat what's on your gi list and carry on exercising.

Good luck :)

Hello KG,

Thanks for the advice, I havent weighed myself yet as I've only been on low GI for a couple of days!
Maybe the reason you haven't been losing weight is because you've been making muscles with all the exercise. not to say you're not burning fat!

Good luck with your weight loss, keep me posted how you're getting on, I may come to you for advice in the future if you dont mind.

Thanks again

Verity xx

Hey Verity

I don't feel very muscly lol!

I started my period today so am battling stomach cramps-pcos and stomach cramps!

I don't mind giving out advice-I hope it helps in some way!

I do really like the low gi 'diet'- it does work in terms of not snacking- I can go by on under 1000 cals a day and feel full-it's great!

Not liking the not losing any weight but like you said maybe it's muscle and not fat. Which actually might be true as I went back to my parents last weekend and my mum said I looked like I lost a lot of weight! I tried explaining that on the scales I hadn't actually lost anything but she kept saying that it looked like I had! Woooo I like that idea-thanks Verity :)

How are you going on the low gi? Are you finding the foods ok? It's important to keep exercising as well, which I am sure you already know but I like saying it!

Hello!
I'm a bout due my period too, but have been running and doing tube exercises today, feeling a bit tired now though!

I'm sue you are losing weight, and you can never tell by looking at yourself! takes someone else, like your mum!

I'm finding the diet ok, its very easy for me to adapt to, but I'm craving sugar like anything! and I have given in a few times! I knows it a vicious circle but I will be stronger next time!
I've been drinking cider vinegar before each meal, and having it on my salads and I'm drinking LOADS of water so I feel I'm doing pretty well, just the sugar! nothing helps with that one! I think I've eaten a billion apples in the last week! let me know if theres anything I can do about my sweet tooth!

I will keep exercising! and I'll let you know how the next weigh in goes! I've set myself a target of getting under 100kgs by the end of the month!

Good luck with everything, and listen to your mum! I'm sure you're looking great!

x

I havent weighed myself for a few days but I was getting a bit obsessed and weighing myself twice a day or more, so now only once a week!

Hey Verity!

I have one spoon of sugar in my tea in the mornings but other than that don't really crave it. I've never had much of a sweet tooth-sorry! If I do read something that might help I will definately let you know.

I lost another pound-yay! I thought it might be more-well I say thought, I do actually mean I hoped!

My cousin said my face looked smaller as well. As much as I want my face to get smaller (a double chin doesn't look great!) I do also want the rest of me to shrink as well! I think it's working though.

I'm usually a size 14/16 for tops and the other day I fit into a 12! I was so happy-it's a little snug on me-but a few months ago I probably wouldn't be able to get the top over my boobs and big stomach. I think trying that top on made me feel better and I actually have more motivation to carry on.

Today is my aerobics day-so will hopefully be burning off plenty of calories :)

How are you feeling today? Glad it's Friday?

Well done!
Theres nothing better than getting in to something small!
I had a pair of jeans that were SO tight, and I'd be rolling over the top of them and now they fit!
I cant really see it in myself but people at work have said I've lost weight, so I'm feeling motivated today!

I've been running and doing my exercises every day, and the sugar cravings arent as bad! and I'm on target for getting under 100kgs by the end of the month, so thats going from 230lbs now to 218 in 20days! very intensive!

Well having a smaller face should motivate you! and if thats shrinking the rest of you will be too, don't worry! It's nice to see it happening, and that all your hard work is paying off!

And you're tiny compared to me! I'm a size 20! well I was when I started. I live in italy and only buy clothes in england. too expencive or too small here. So I will see what size I am at the end of the month, when I go back, where are you from? (if you don't mind me asking)

And in my job friday has no meaning! I work in a hotel, so usually sunday is my day off.

Hope you have a good weekend and have fun at aerobics!

Verity
x

Hey Verity!

That's brilliant! I always struggle with my jeans! Also congrats on your target-that's so brilliant! 20 pounds in 2 weeks!

I'm really short though-i'm only 5 foot 1 so ideally I should be between I think it's 7 and a half stone to 9 stone. I know huge range but that's what I was told. I shouldn't be the 12 stone 10 pounds I am right now! I have to lose 4 stone to be at the top of my ideal weight range!

I'm from Birmingham originally but moved to Leicester a few years ago. Italy must be so great! I've never been but really want to!

Oh wow-do you work 6 days a week then? I'm tired after my 5 days!

xxx

Hello,
sorry had a REALLY busy few days, we're opening the hotel again tomorrow so lots to do!
I'm down to 103kgs, about 227lbs so not doing too badly. had a few days without exersise and ate a few naughty things, but back on it today!

I do work 6 days a week, so I am ready for a holiday!
Italy is beautiful and the food is good, but I'm ready to come home for a bit. I come from norwich.

how are you doing? getting into a size 10 yet x

hope you're all right.

verity

x

Back