Weight loss stalling

trying_healthy

Hi all.

Last time i was calorie counting my weight loss was going great. But then my weight lost started stalling completely and i couldnt find a way to lose any more weight. This caused me to become disheartened and give up. Is there any way to prevent this happening now, in the earlier stages of my weight loss? If it stalls again, will i have to reduce my calories intake even further to continue losing weight? this is something that has been playing on my mind as it confuses me. I dont understand how i stalled so much while still having a calorie deficit and getting regular excersise.

Any tips or advice or stories would be much appreciated, thanks.

I too have stalled and given up in the past! This time i am ready for it! Haha ;)

From what i have been reading, it seems that when people plateau then they need to increase calories a little bit, maybe shake up the foods they are eating/exercise routine. I read somewhere too (think it was Happyhealthy who said?) that it's a good idea to just eat at maintenance level for a week to 'reset' your body then reduce calories again.

I think it's all about not letting your body get to comfortable and keep it guessing!

I was quite lucky not to hit one until I had only a few pounds left to lose, so I was quite motivated still knowing I was so close to goal.
However mine nearly lasted a month, very frustrating!!!! I eventually got round it by having a weekend of really high calorie days followed by two days of really low calorie days. This may not be the healthy way, but it worked for me.
Prior to this I had tried so many things, zig zagging cals, increasing exercise, detoxing etc, but nothing would shift those scales!!

I hit a plateau the beginning of the year for 8 weeks. I broke through it by making sure I ate back any exercise calories and drinking at least 2 litres of water a day. Myfitnesspal helped me figure it out. Initially in the first week I did gain, but then the week after I lost 3lbs.

I also stalled but after trying eating more each day for a week, with no effect, I started going under the net calories and finally started losing again.. Sorry if that's the opposite of what other people have said, but I think that it's trial and error for everyone, just persevere. Whatever you do, don't give up.

Plateau's are inevitable sometimes. I say the first thing you should do before trying anything else is giving it 3 weeks of doing the same thing and seeing if it shifts naturally. If not, I'd recommend upping your exercise than lowering your calories. Lowering your calories is just going to bite you in the bum further down the line when you hit your target weight and try adjusting back to a normal diet. Eating too little will damage your metabolism in the long run!

Back