Weight Watchers or slimming world???

xAlisonx

Silver Member
I've been offered 12 weeks free membership of a slimming group today and I'm not sure which one to do. Hoping someone can advise on which may suit my circumstances better.

I'm cooking for myself, hubby and three kids and my biggest worry is food spend in all honesty as I have a limited budget right now to get all of our shopping and I have to be able to cook for all of us in one go and not separate for myself. My other thing is I always struggle with is hunger and I wondered if one plan was better than the other for costs to stick to plan and also combating hunger? Any advice would be appreciated as I'm a total newbie to both plans, thanks :)

Hi I'm doing weight watchers but I'm cooking for myself alone if I had to cook for the family then I'd find saw easier and cheaper. I lose more on ww though as I find it more restricting.... These are my views many peoples may differ don't want to offend anyone. Good luck with your choice.

Hiya thanks for the info. I'm the kind of 'cook' who usually uses a jar of low fat curry sauce or ragu instead of making them from scratch. I do cook a few meals right from scratch but sometimes I also use convenience foods too. Is it easy to count in food like jars of sauce, convenience meals etc with WW? Like today for example I've got a stew in the oven just made with beef, a few veg and a packet mix from Tescos lol, I'm wondering do you think I'd find that easy to count as part of the WW plan and am I right in thinking that I'd have to follow completely new recipes (their own recipes) if I did SW? Sorry for all the questions but I've never done a weight loss group before and I haven't got a clue how either of them work.

Well in sw on the extra easy plan the meat, veg, spicies would be free I.e eat till satisfied any packet mix or jars of sauce would be syns you get 15 of those a day so making your own with tinned tomatoes and herbs is easier potato and pasta would be free too...... On we all meat would need to be weighted and pointed as would the jars of sauces and any potato or pasta.

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful. I'm kind of leaning towards WW just to have the stricter controls as I don't know if me and free foods would get along too well :)

I love WW. I love the flexibility. If you want to have a night out there's no guesswork in the points. Same as if you're in a rush you can grab convenience food. Contrary to popular belief WW is also about cooking from scratch too.

Indefinitely prefer WW no question about it :)

I've done both slimming world and weight watchers! Slimming world is better if you won't to make everything from scratch! All sauces meals cakes everything as you don't get a lot of allowance for things like these! I'm now currently on weight watchers and finding it so much Easyier and quicker! And also cheaper! Plus I've lost more in 8 weeks on weight watchers then what I did with 6months of slimming world!

(Lost 12lb in 6montjs with slimming world and how love 24lb in 8weeks of weight watchers)

Good luck on what ever you choose Hun all the girls on here are amazing and will behide you every step of the way xx

Hiya, thank you very much for your help everyone. I've decided on WW in the end. I think it will suit me better and be more flexible when I'm grabbing convenience foods or cooking from scratch. Also I do think I'll lose more on it as I'm not sure the free SW foods will work for me personally with my big appetite:) Just waiting for my phone call now off a lighten up programme and I think they'll then send vouchers out so I'll hopefully be starting in the next week or two. In the meantime I'll just be carrying on with my calorie counting

Hiya, thank you very much for your help everyone. I've decided on WW in the end. I think it will suit me better and be more flexible when I'm grabbing convenience foods or cooking from scratch. Also I do think I'll lose more on it as I'm not sure the free SW foods will work for me personally with my big appetite:) Just waiting for my phone call now off a lighten up programme and I think they'll then send vouchers out so I'll hopefully be starting in the next week or two. In the meantime I'll just be carrying on with my calorie counting

Good luck Hun I'm sure you will do amazing!! Weight watchers is better for portion control!
Keep us all updated and good luck xx

Good luck Hun I'm sure you will do amazing!! Weight watchers is better for portion control!
Keep us all updated and good luck xx

thanks very much, looking forward to getting started. Is it easy to get to grips with and is the latest one they are doing now to do with a points system? Haven't got a clue how it works...

Yes it's easy takes a good few days to get your head round it all though!
Yeah it's all points everything you eat has a points value apart from fruit and veg everyone has there own points allowance for the day depending on your weight and height then you can use your points on what ever food you wish!
Everyone also gets a extra 49points a week to use for nights out takeaways or u could just add 7 on to your daily allowance every day!
It may sounds confusing now but once you have been to a meeting and done your first week it all sort of falls into place! You will not be disappointed with weight watchers it's the only diet I have found that I can stick to and still have great weight loss each week! And I have tryed every diet going lol xx

Thanks for the info, I've been on loads of diets too. I've got really bad willpower. I'm all fired up now to be a nice weight for my hols in August but when i don't have something like that to aim for I'm always putting it off till tomorrow and tomorrow never comes! At the moment I'm just calorie counting and also only eating low fat foods and I aim to have between 1200 and 1300 cals a day and then on Saturday I have a lot less during the day so in the evening I usually come off the diet for the evening and then go back onto it Sunday so I have a treat night once a week to look forward to. I'm hoping the Weight watchers points system equates to roughly the same amount of food that I'm currently having but I should imagine it does :)

Thanks for the info, I've been on loads of diets too. I've got really bad willpower. I'm all fired up now to be a nice weight for my hols in August but when i don't have something like that to aim for I'm always putting it off till tomorrow and tomorrow never comes! At the moment I'm just calorie counting and also only eating low fat foods and I aim to have between 1200 and 1300 cals a day and then on Saturday I have a lot less during the day so in the evening I usually come off the diet for the evening and then go back onto it Sunday so I have a treat night once a week to look forward to. I'm hoping the Weight watchers points system equates to roughly the same amount of food that I'm currently having but I should imagine it does :)

Yes I think the points will cover the amount of food your havin now :) I'm the same always starting tomorrow this time New Year's Eve was my kick up the bum to get in shape and finally loose this baby weight! 2 years later oops! I'm also going away I'm going in may so that's my mini goal to aim for!
As for fruit and veg the only ones that are not free are potatoes avacardos (can't spell!!) think there's another one but not to sure :/ xx

Yes I think the points will cover the amount of food your havin now :) I'm the same always starting tomorrow this time New Year's Eve was my kick up the bum to get in shape and finally loose this baby weight! 2 years later oops! I'm also going away I'm going in may so that's my mini goal to aim for!
As for fruit and veg the only ones that are not free are potatoes avacardos (can't spell!!) think there's another one but not to sure :/ xx

Hard to start isn't it? There has to be some motivating factor cos it's a long, hard slog. Sounds good that the fruit and veg are mainly free, it'll help me on hungry days :) I'll have to make veg soups occasionally, yum! Hope they hurry up and phone me so I can get started now!!!

I know strawberries are 1pp as I had some this evening. I think sweetcorn is 1pp too. But most fruit and veg are 0 points :)

Let us know how you get on with ww!

Strawberries are free!!!

Corn is not.....

Hiya, I had my referral phone call today, she's sending me out an information pack and 12 vouchers and I'm all booked in to go on Wednesday :) looking forward to getting started and just slightly nervous lol

Hiya, I had my referral phone call today, she's sending me out an information pack and 12 vouchers and I'm all booked in to go on Wednesday :) looking forward to getting started and just slightly nervous lol

You'll be fine Hun! :) good luck and let us all know how you get on :) xx

Back