Weight Watchers vs Slimming World

sthomas14104

Lots of people open threads on this very topic, I know this because I hunted down in desperation the difference between the two. So I wanted to post for people who may be thinking of swapping from SW to WW....DO IT.

3 years ago, I lost 4 stone on slimming world. After one event after another, I managed to put that back on in less than a year and have been struggling with false SW starts ever since. One of the reason I put the weight back on is because, in my opinion, SW teaches nothing about portion control and restriction which is where my issues lie. SW only ever exacerbated my inability to say no. So without slating SW (everyone's different), I have decided to follow the smartpoints ww plan.

It's only part way into week one, but I'm sat here asking myself why I've not done it sooner. The recipe ideas are much more varied than sw standard tomato based stuff. The online tools and point tracker are really useful and I've really enjoyed the fact that the sessions are 1hour long. I can Remember being in a 3 hour sw meeting once, crazy.

The thing I like the most is the emphasis on holistic well-being and I've really started taking that seriously as part of my weight loss journey.

I also have the reassurance that if I'm caught short I can always grab a ww meal or a ww soup... Which are accessible and affordable.

Can't recommend enough, I'm really really enjoying smart points and finally feel postive about the new foods and positivity surrounding ww. Its a breath of fresh air and a much needed transition from sweetner galore and variations of spaghetti bol.

The proof will of course be on the scales... Or will it? Ww now talks about off scale successes and not thinking about blockbuster weight loss. Again, something which is so refreshing to see and is the first step in prolonged and sustained weight control.

Just my 2 penneth x

What a lovely post! You might have just persuaded me to jump off the Slimming World merry go round! I have been a member of both SW and WW many many times over the last 30 years and have found that whilst I was greedy on SW I was hungry on WW and ate too much low point crap just because I could! However from what I gather Smartpoints stops you doing that because sugary stuff has gone sky high in Smartpoints ( which is good!) whilst protein has gone down - making you feel more full-win win! I shall be re- joining on Tuesday and will keep you posted! Good luck! Sal x

Great post, I am a calorie counter but tried ww and did ok. I then discovered 5:2 and am not looking back. It has involved a change in attitude. I am now in control again and what I call back to normal. My appetite has shrunk no end. As I was before putting on the excess and listening to my tum again!

Good luck, as you say each to his own. Must admit my friend tried sw for 5 weeks and put 7 lbs ON.!

Hahaha! 7lbs on - I was going to say it's so funny but it's not when it's you gaining! Bless her- I hope she's found something that works! Sal x

PMSL! A girl after my own heart! Slimming World is based round my favourite foods but that's the trouble- left alone with a pan of chilli and I,ll bit and bob with it til it's gone! I need the strictness of enforced portion control! Lol! Sal x

Ahh, glad the post has been useful in that its got people thinking and discussing. All great points. Gosh yes, absolutely everyone is different and different programmes and plans fit different individuals don't they. I am finding that I am hungrier on WW than I am on SW, but to be honest... that's what I need. This whole mantra of filling up with pasta etc and snacking on endless 'free' foods... humans are not biologically wired that way (and I'm not talking weight loss here). Which as you say, Solange, is why 5:2 has been such a revolution for so many people. It's like I am totally out of touch with myself right now in terms of what I need and when, WW seems to be undoing some of this and I am postive in a couple of months time my appetite would have levelled out.

Just my thoughts anyway. It's like most things in my life, if I want something.. I get it/ have it (as bratty as that sounds... and this being a positive and a negative all at once) which is why SW facilitated my overeating. Now that's not a negative on SW part, it's some messed up behaviour on my part which I am trying to change (again, not just talking weight loss here). WW recognise that some of these behaviours stem from and spill over to other parts of peoples lives with smartpoints and I really like this fact. I found my life was consumed by SW, thinking about food and meal plans all the time, whereas I am not finding this as much with WW.

Oh heck re the 7lbs on for your friend solange! I have totally been there with SW as have lots of my friends, I have laughed with girlfriends a couple of times about how we've started SW and actually gained weight.. again, not SW fault, more a partiality to Prosecco and cheese!

Sal, no harm in giving it a shot is there- I have never done WW before so am on a total fresh slate so can't comment on the previous allowance, although a woman in my meeting did mention her dismay at curly wurlys now going up... which made me laugh! and yes defo keep me posted both on and off the scales and hope your Tuesday meeting goes well xx

I suppose my title of SW vs WW is wrong in that I suppose I shouldn't be comparing it's simly not about that is it... ;) xx

Hi Hun! I so resonate with everything you say! - my friend restarted at WW last week , and when I saw her in the school playground the first thing she said was ' curly wurlies are 8 points' ! They must have used them as an example in all the WW sessions last week! Lol!
I need to make my mind up by the morning .cos it's weigh in day at SW! What's so silly is , I'm scared to jump ship because my leader is a regular customer in the shop where I work and I'm dreading the 'where were you on Tues Mrs?' I feel like a naughty schoolgirl but I'm 51 for gods sake - I need to man ( or woman) up! Sal x

Hey! Without being 'team WW' here, as I was in fact 'team SW' for a long time, but I know for me I have just had to stop trying with something which doesn't work for me.. i.e. SW. I am sure if you just said to the customer 'I found SW wasn't working for me' surely she would accept that. Not like you have to explain that to anybody. How about 'my whereabouts has nothing to do with you thank you very much!' haha... just kidding. It's bizarre isn't it, peer pressure at it's finest. It get's like a witch hunt doesn't it, the dreaded first day back and all that which I felt was big in SW, thinking what excuses to make for missing a week etc. It's hilarious really... ! I am sure you will make the right decision either way and whatever you choose will be positive for you!! xx

Hi! Yeah - I wouldn't be bothered at all if she wasn't the SW leader - you just feel a bit silly , as if you've somehow failed I suppose! Now I'm reading this it sounds ridiculous . Another thing I can't be doing with is the ruddy image therapy- when you've had a bad week the last thing you want is another 20+ people knowing about it! At least with WW the only time you are mentioned is if you win a 'silver 7' or 10% award or of course when you get to target! Sal x

I did WW and lost 1 st 8 lbs back in 2009 for a holiday, I found myself constantly starving and when I came home I couldn't get back on it. I gained it all back within six weeks and maintained at that until early 2015 until I gained about another 25lbs. So I joined SW. I have found it a complete and utter lifeline. I dont know why you think it doesn't teach portion control because that is up to individual. Everyone should know their own limits or what amounts to a portion if they go by recipe guidelines and packet instructions. I haven't been gaining at all when I am on plan. The weeks I gain is mother nature in action or me eating out being away from the plan. I know one of my friends in group, gains two or three weeks then has a huge loss, everyone's body's are different. I have 27lbs off and my mum joined with me and she has 31lbs gone. This is the first diet plan that has worked for us both. Mam has tried everything from WW, unislim, slimfast, lighter life. But for us it is the first plan that has worked. We are eating healthier than ever before. I've learnt to cook so many meals with half the calories of before. If my losses stop I'll cit back my syns and workout more.

I'm a serial diet switcher and have been for years but have to say I'm really enjoying the new smart points plan. I've tried sw over and over again and I can see how it works for a lot of people but it just doesn't for me.

Sw just makes me feel so guilty. If I have cereal for breakfast I can't have a sandwich unless I syn it and to me a sandwich shouldn't be seen as a 'syn'. Eating out is really hard as a veggie doing sw as most things have to be synned and the daily syns don't come anywhere close to covering it. I have ocd so I'm not someone who can just draw a line under a meal out and carry on being on plan, unfortunately that meal being way over syns means I'll end up in a binge guilt cycle that is extremely difficult to break.

I've seen my friends be very successful on sw (and some on ww) and I think it's great but for me personally sw just doesn't fit in with my lifestyle and when it comes to picking a plan it's about finding one you can stick with long term. Hopefully smart points will be the one for me

Good luck everyone
Dani x

Hey! Without being 'team WW' here, as I was in fact 'team SW' for a long time, but I know for me I have just had to stop trying with something which doesn't work for me.. i.e. SW. I am sure if you just said to the customer 'I found SW wasn't working for me' surely she would accept that. Not like you have to explain that to anybody. How about 'my whereabouts has nothing to do with you thank you very much!' haha... just kidding. It's bizarre isn't it, peer pressure at it's finest. It get's like a witch hunt doesn't it, the dreaded first day back and all that which I felt was big in SW, thinking what excuses to make for missing a week etc. It's hilarious really... ! I am sure you will make the right decision either way and whatever you choose will be positive for you!! xx
Well I bit the bullet and rejoined WW today and what a revelation! I love chicken and prawns which have dropped in points and chocolate which is my weak point has gone sky high which is exactly what I need! Low fat flavoured yogurts full of sweeteners seem to be slightly higher - but too many points to make them worth it. I used to eat loads of them on SW! It definitely steers you towards healthier choices and as a bonus my daily and weekly points when added together are more than on propoints ( at the moment, though I know they will go down!) so it's a Brucie bonus! Sal x

thank you for your points of view .i have decided to try ww ,as i have put all my weight back on .as i too have been doing sw .and was allways being told to eat more .and as i do have big meals .i think that was wrong for me .so here i am starting again .lol xx

thank you for your points of view .i have decided to try ww ,as i have put all my weight back on .as i too have been doing sw .and was allways being told to eat more .and as i do have big meals .i think that was wrong for me .so here i am starting again .lol xx

Welcome to WW and Good Luck. I have a Diary if you have any questions or just need help x

how is it changing from sw to ww .is it easy to do .and how do many points are you allowed .x

I didn't get on with SW but got on with WW straight away. I get 26pp a day plus 49 weeklies if I need them X

Hi Serena- are you still on the old WW plan? It's just that you get a minimum of 30 points on Smartpoints and you don't get 49 weeklies, it depends on your age , weight , sex and height as far as I know! Lol! Sal x

Hi Serena- are you still on the old WW plan? It's just that you get a minimum of 30 points on Smartpoints and you don't get 49 weeklies, it depends on your age , weight , sex and height as far as I know! Lol! Sal x

Hi Sal, Yes I'm following PP, didn't fancy learning a whole new plan! X

Back