Weightwatchers - Changing ??

Pumpkin oatmeal is da bomb! Now, add the pumpkin along with an envelope of SF hot chocolate mix, and you'll be transformed, I tells ya! At this time of year, you should be able to buy pumpkins in the store and make your own puree. I did this yesterday a.m. - I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds and baked it till tender in a 350-degree oven. It was super-easy to peel once tender, and I used my hand blender to break it down to a puree. It was also <half the cost of the canned pumpkin.

As for sharing dessert with your son with your WAPs (Weekly Allowance Points, as they are currently called), that's another reason why WW rocks the casbah. The new program will continue to push this, if I am understanding it correctly. This makes all the difference between hosting pity parties of deprivation and the empowering feeling that you are in control.

I've done WW with "banking Points" and with an allowance, and if I knew that I was going out on Friday for sushi, I'd feel kinda deprived during the week if I'd have to save up. Having a daily Target plus an allowance is a much easier way to operate. It's the difference between having a vacation fund that allows you a weekend away whenever you find a deal online versus having to finance the same vacation from your current account when you're "living from paycheck-to-paycheck". Same salary, but the different pocket = different impact.

I re-read this earlier, and although newspapers don't always report all the facts, I'm not really looking forward to having this slush fund.

I'm trying to better my ways and don't want something there that might encourage me to eat out. Plus not sure having fruit and veg as free will help everyone make better choices, as I would now on the discovery plan have a 1.5point banana over a say a 2point cake, but (and I know we don't have all the facts and that points for items will be different) with the new plan it almost sounds like I could have both as the banana would be 0 points.

So how would that encourage me to eat better?

So... I don't agree. I have done today the propoints plan for the first time and I must say that I'm very satisfied. I'm feeling nice and full, and doing the comparison with the old plan, I had 19 old points today, which is perfectly within my 22 maintenance points allowance. However, to be able and have the 20g of nuts I wanted at lunch, I had to give up my Activia Yogurt and instead I had at lunch 2 setsumas, which are now free. Before dinner when I came back home I also had 1 apple and 1 extra setsuma on the top of my normal 300g cherry tomatoes. This filled me up VERY nicely and when I finished dinner (having EXACTLY what I normally had at dinner with the old plan) I was STUFFED. But actually, between the 3 setsumas and the apple I had at lunch and as a snack, I only used 1 old point (1 apple = 0.5 point and 3 setsumas = 0.5 point), EXACTLY the same as my yogurt would have been. Yogurt is good for you, but I had gone into the habit of having 1 activia yogurt at breakast and 1 at lunch, just because it was easy. Instead now I'll probably have fruit so I can have other things like some nuts or a nicer dessert in the evening.

So yes, it DOES allow you to make extra good choices.

on the top of that, your daily allowance, let's say 29, is something you *MUST* have IN FULL EVERY DAY. You CANNOT save any points daily like you were doing before. So, it's as if saying that let's say you were on 18 points per day, it's as if WW in the previous plan was telling you: you are on 14 points per day. You MUST eat these 14 points every day for allowing your body to function. However, you have a slush pot of 28 points per week you can use to have some treats here and there. If you do the maths, 28/7=4, so if you add the 4 points to 14 you get your 18.

What I'm trying to say is that the propoints allowance, if you work the plan correctly, is VERY similar to the old points allowance (if you had worked your plan correctly before and had a good balance in your food!). The fruit you are getting for free is basically "worked within" your daily propoints allowance. There are details I cannot say, but you will see, you won't be eating more than what you were beforehand. In certain cases you might be eating less, and the free fruit is going to be a welcomed gift in such a case!:D

Hm I see from the Daily Record that a bowl of branflakes has the same pro-points as a Curly Wurly, how that works out with the super calculation I do not know so I will just have to wait and see. In the meantime I must resist the temptation to start having Curly Wurlies for breakfast. Or are they actually a superfood which someone forgot to tell us about?

So... I don't agree. I have done today the propoints plan for the first time and I must say that I'm very satisfied. I'm feeling nice and full, and doing the comparison with the old plan, I had 19 old points today, which is perfectly within my 22 maintenance points allowance. However, to be able and have the 20g of nuts I wanted at lunch, I had to give up my Activia Yogurt and instead I had at lunch 2 setsumas, which are now free. Before dinner when I came back home I also had 1 apple and 1 extra setsuma on the top of my normal 300g cherry tomatoes. This filled me up VERY nicely and when I finished dinner (having EXACTLY what I normally had at dinner with the old plan) I was STUFFED. But actually, between the 3 setsumas and the apple I had at lunch and as a snack, I only used 1 old point (1 apple = 0.5 point and 3 setsumas = 0.5 point), EXACTLY the same as my yogurt would have been. Yogurt is good for you, but I had gone into the habit of having 1 activia yogurt at breakast and 1 at lunch, just because it was easy. Instead now I'll probably have fruit so I can have other things like some nuts or a nicer dessert in the evening.

So yes, it DOES allow you to make extra good choices.

on the top of that, your daily allowance, let's say 29, is something you *MUST* have IN FULL EVERY DAY. You CANNOT save any points daily like you were doing before. So, it's as if saying that let's say you were on 18 points per day, it's as if WW in the previous plan was telling you: you are on 14 points per day. You MUST eat these 14 points every day for allowing your body to function. However, you have a slush pot of 28 points per week you can use to have some treats here and there. If you do the maths, 28/7=4, so if you add the 4 points to 14 you get your 18.

What I'm trying to say is that the propoints allowance, if you work the plan correctly, is VERY similar to the old points allowance (if you had worked your plan correctly before and had a good balance in your food!). The fruit you are getting for free is basically "worked within" your daily propoints allowance. There are details I cannot say, but you will see, you won't be eating more than what you were beforehand. In certain cases you might be eating less, and the free fruit is going to be a welcomed gift in such a case!:D

Thanks for this very very useful post !!! I cannot wait until I can start the new plan. Woo hoo ! :D :D

Hm I see from the Daily Record that a bowl of branflakes has the same pro-points as a Curly Wurly, how that works out with the super calculation I do not know so I will just have to wait and see. In the meantime I must resist the temptation to start having Curly Wurlies for breakfast. Or are they actually a superfood which someone forgot to tell us about?

it was actually a big, huge, massive shock for me. My chocolate porridge, which for the old plan are 1.5 points for 30g, are now exactly the same points as my boyfriend's favourites, the Krave by Kellogg's, which on the old points system were 2.5 points for 30g! Almost all the cereals are the same number of propoints per 30g, which is amazing! Besides, now 1 alpen bar light and 1 special K are going to be the same number of points. Probably that's the case even with the cheap supermarket's range (not sure, I haven't worked them out yet!), which is GREAT because the only reason why I was buying the more expensive alpen was because I was saving 0.5 point!

So in the end of the day, it can also save you money! :)

Ohhhh it's such a tease! haha :D can't wait till next week where everyone can fully know and be able talk openly about it, thanks for the info so far hun! sounds very interesting and fun :) one main question i have though, like we have know a "way to work out how many points you should be on" ... is this the same case in the new plan? Do they have a specific way of working out how many points you should be on? like does it go by age/weight/male/female etc! it's ok if you can't say but just wondering how they are gonna be working things like the main points and the extra 'treat' points out etc :) hehe thanks again xxx

your daily allowance will be decided by your leader next week. The "slush pot" is ALWAYS 49 points, your daily allowance instead is personal to you :). If you don't go to meetings, your esource will work it out for you. If you don't pay for that either it might be worth spending some money to buy a calculator, because that works it out for you :). There's no test, probably there's too much to take into account!

your daily allowance will be decided by your leader next week. The "slush pot" is ALWAYS 49 points, your daily allowance instead is personal to you :). If you don't go to meetings, your esource will work it out for you. If you don't pay for that either it might be worth spending some money to buy a calculator, because that works it out for you :). There's no test, probably there's too much to take into account!

oh right thankyou! i don't want to waste money on new ww things seeing as i'm close to goal anyway! i'm hoping there will be some sort of link to how you can work it out once everyone starts doing it etc, as there are many of us on here in the same boat that cant afford to go to meetings, esource or buy the equipment etc

thanks for the help xxx

I hope I'm right in thinking that online we'll get the option of changing to the pro plus system only if we want to. I'm very happy on the current system and to be quite honest I don't want to change. I like the idea in theory and I know I should try it before passing judgement but changing systems at the critical point I'm at could just lead me back to step one.

I hope I'm right in thinking that online we'll get the option of changing to the pro plus system only if we want to..

I would be incredibly surprised if you do get the option. Id expect them to be changing lock stock and barrel to the new system. I cant see them encouraging people to stay on the old plan at all, not when theyve invested all this money in the new one

I would be incredibly surprised if you do get the option. Id expect them to be changing lock stock and barrel to the new system. I cant see them encouraging people to stay on the old plan at all, not when theyve invested all this money in the new one

That will really annoy me because I paid for the membership based on the points system, not the Pro Points system. I shall have to wait and see.

Hi, ive been lurking and reading posts here since joining ww about a month ago, about time I said Hi!
At my meeting this morning, the leader said that as from next week the discovery plan no longer exsists, so i doubt very much there will be the choice online to do it anymore

Don't know if i'm allowed to post this link, starlight will make sure to change it if i'm not hehe :) (thanks :D )

ProPoints Calculator - Android

Just searched propoints and this comes up for an app :-\ guessing it's for those who already use Propoints in their country etc, but at least shows a little on how the points will be working out for those getting a calc etc

Also this :)

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/sect...mpaign-for-new-diet-programme/3020006.article

Dunno about everyone else, but if i can't work out how many points i'm meant to be on, i'm gonna take 29 as the 18, and i think i was on 20 so ill just change it to be on 31 :D hehe No doubt there will be a online calc sorted out like the other WW ones in due course :) so hopefully those of us who can't afford will be able to do the new plan also xxx

LMFAO i love this report...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...orie-based-points-plan.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

"As in the old system, a dieter’s quota of points will be calculated based on his or her age, gender, height and weight.
A typical member will be given a typical daily allowance of up to 29 of the recalculated ProPoints, compared with 18 old-style points.
But the big selling point is a slush fund of 49 ‘real living’ points, which can be dipped into when on a girlie night out or when only fast food will do.
A bottle of wine will use up around 20 of these points, while a curry with naan bread, rice and a drink, will wipe out 40."

oh dear :p

I feel its basically setting new limits :) have one take away a week, but if you do... no treats for rest of week stick to healthy foods throughout no chocos or things like that just have your own 'blow out' a week etc :-\ bit mixed from reading things, if you search ww propoints into google btw and then check out news, it's got info on what WW have released about the new plan

Last edited:
Me too Louise, I cant afford to go to classes :( The additional 49 points weekly sounds quite scary to me but Ill try to reserve judgement until more is known about the plan.

*wants the week to hurry up and GO!* xx

Me too Louise, I cant afford to go to classes :( The additional 49 points weekly sounds quite scary to me but Ill try to reserve judgement until more is known about the plan.

*wants the week to hurry up and GO!* xx

I'm just reading up now about it hun just things that newspapers have said about new plan and what ww have come out and said about it, i feel mixed but suppose will teach us better!

I just want to be able to work out how many points im allowed lol and then a kinda formula to work out points in everything else! i'm hoping someone who can afford everything can help us folks out and write up some of the main things we have daily like milk, cereal, bread etc just so we can get a swing on how to do it lol :) soon find out!!! sunday isnt it?!?!

off to docs in an hour... might try and get some vouchers to go to ww haha :D only joking! ... but i may sign up for the monthly pass, only £12.95 for the month when you sign up using voucher off WW and then ill just quit after that month, just so i can get the details lol :) though tbh i dunno if i can even afford £13 atm! :eek::cry:

"“The calories on food labels are outdated,” says Zoe Hellman, Weight Watchers’ dietician. “We now know information on food labels doesn’t tell the full story of the impact of that food on your weight loss.
“It doesn’t tell you what energy you will get from that food because some meals take more energy to process than others.”

That’s because high-protein foods require more energy to digest than certain carbohydrates. For example, if you eat 100 calories of carbohydrate, such as a banana, about six to eight per cent of those calories will be used for digesting and converting it into fuel for the body, leaving 92 to 94 calories available as energy.

However, if you ate 100 calories of a high-protein food, such as white fish, the body uses 25 to 30 per cent in processing, leaving 70 to 75 calories available for the body, far fewer than the banana, despite containing the same number of calories to start with.

This process is behind the number of points allotted to each food in Weight Watchers’ new scheme so two wholemeal pittas, which take more energy to digest than two white pittas, are eight ProPoints versus nine ProPoints."

interesting lol :)

Last edited:
I know that feeling, Im broke as a joke :( Im sure there'll be a ton of info on the new plan filtering through on here next week, but like you Id like the formula on working out points etc. Im wondering if the makers of the iwatcr app on the iphone will give an update with the new formula...? *edit* I bet they wont, weightwatchers will be keeping it under lock and key I should imagine, dammit*

I hope vodka isnt crazily high on the new system either *FAIL*

Back