well.....CAKE

I made the lemon cake the other day again in a loaf tin. I make smallish slices then spread a teaspoon on lemon curd and a generous spreading of the quark lemon topping and then placed another slice of the lemon cake on top. Was absolutely gorgeous!!

Remember the cous-cous and chick pea cakes are now quite high syns now as SW has recalculated them...... oh dear I hear you cry. i loved my fruit cous-cous cake with a cuppa. Not anymore.

Oh the lemon cake is lovely, and the scranbran choccy one is great too!

Phil x

I don't go to meetings as I live in Canada, so do the diet online. What syn value have they given the cakes? as it is impossible to estimate seeing all the ingredients are free food.

To be honest I think as long as you are not eating the whole cake in one sitting, and all the ingredients you put in are free and you are still getting a loss, then I have no intention of counting it as syns.

Call me daring if you like :p

my lemon cake has sunk in the middle and is as light and fluffy as other pics and idea??

lovely anyway

If it's the lemon cake you're talking about, mine does that to a certain extent - it's a bit like a souffle - the air in the batter increases in size due to the heat and when it cools down the air reduces in size hence the sinking.

Ok well I've had another go at the lemon cake (first time did as fairy cakes which SO didn't work!) but still haven't got it quite right...I folded everything in rather than whisking the two mixtures together so that I kept the air in the egg whites but I've got kind of blobs of the egg yellow mixture in it which are obviously a different texture! The egg yellow mixture was also quite stiff hence it was hard to mix in, is it worth me putting a drop of water in first to loosen it?

Other than that it's not too bad for such a baking disaster as myself...another couple of goes I might JUST get it right!

CAAAAAAAAKE!!!:clap:

Ok well I've had another go at the lemon cake (first time did as fairy cakes which SO didn't work!) but still haven't got it quite right...I folded everything in rather than whisking the two mixtures together so that I kept the air in the egg whites but I've got kind of blobs of the egg yellow mixture in it which are obviously a different texture! The egg yellow mixture was also quite stiff hence it was hard to mix in, is it worth me putting a drop of water in first to loosen it?

Other than that it's not too bad for such a baking disaster as myself...another couple of goes I might JUST get it right!

CAAAAAAAAKE!!!:clap:

I'm lazy and can't be arsed with folding in so once I've blended the flour in, I then use my hand blender to do the egg whites. I usually add about a quarter of the egg white mixture at a time and keep blending until it's all mixed. That avoids the lumps of egg white.

My advise - use your electric beaters to do it all! Good luck for the next try! ;)

I'll get there in the end Stacey!
Was thinking this morning (as I chowed on a piece of cake on my way to work...well I had been the gym first!) might try using choc essence with orange and then on the top using orange curd (need to check syns) and maybe drizzle some dark choc over the top, bit like a jaffa cake taste perhaps...I could MURDER for a jaffa cake right now!

Back