What am I doing wrong?

I apologise in advance for how long this is!

Back in 2008 I lost almost 3 stone with SW, doing mainly Green days with a very few red days as I really struggled with not being able to have what I consider 'ordinary' food such as a proper spag bol, cottage pie etc.

Over the next two years I put back on about 1 1/2 stone of that loss. I was delighted to read about extra easy last year as that seems a far more normal way of eating to me. So I rejoined SW in March 2010 and despite sticking to plan 100% for four weeks I only ever gained or STS. I gave up in despair as my consultant had no explanation or help for me.

My weight crept up again since last August as I was back on steroids and then went to Australia for 6 weeks over Christmas and I am now back up to 12stone 4lbs which I am not at all happy about as it is only 1 stone away from my start weight when I first went to SW in 2008.

I am determined to get this weight off and get to 10 stone. There is nothing I want more in the world, so I decided to re-start SW, but not going to group as I just can't make the weigh in times that are available here and I did most of my original loss by myself after attending group for only about 6 weeks. I'm not someone that needs that support and clapping etc.

Anyway, I have always drunk around 3-5 litres of water a day so I know I have that covered. I decided to start again a few weeks ago. In my first week I didn't have all the right foods in as I had only just decided to restart SW the day after I had done my weeks food shopping but I was able to do breakfast, lunch and most dinners 100% on EE, it was just the snacks I fell down on. I basically ate whatever chocolate and full fat yogurts I wanted to get rid of them with the aim to start the next week 100% on plan. That first week gave me a 2lb loss which really surprised me as I was even eating crisps everyday which I never normally have in the house. The next week I put that 2lb back on which really upset me as I know I had been on plan 100%. I kept a food diary, was only having around 8 syns a day and had even bought the evil fry light rather than use my usual spray oil. My son had requested we eat only vegetarian food for a week so I did a week of green days only with just Sunday having a roast chicken. I really hate using artificial ingredients but realise it's important for me in the case of fry light as trying to guess syns on spray olive oil would be inaccurate.

My diet isn't that unhealthy even when not doing SW in terms of main meals, I eat a lot of fresh veg and fruit and never use any jar sauces or anything. Everything I cook is from scratch and we don't have junk food. The only thing that I can be really bad about is chocolate/cake (all home baked) and even then nowhere near the extent of a lot of people. I am also naughty with bread and toast with marmite or marmalade was a snack. I cut this problem straight out with SW by not buying bread anymore and I have pasta salads for lunches instead.

A typical day for me on SW would be 2 weetabix with measured milk (HEX A & HEX B) for breakfast with raspberries or other fruit on top, pasta, salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumber and parmesan (2 syns worth) for lunch and mushroom risotto with salad for dinner. 2 finger kitkat for a snack in the evening (5.5 syns) 1 x shape zero yogurt and banana, clementines, grapes, yellow plums, pears, apples to snack during the day if hungry.

I am very careful with portion sizes so have only been having 50g of pasta at lunch and always weight it and weigh pasta and rice etc if having those for dinner.

I know that I am eating more than 1/3 super free at lunch and dinner so why is this diet not working for me again? Is it possible for SW to just not work for some people? What makes it worse is that my close friend started at the same time as me and often goes way over her syns and yet she lost 4lbs the same week I put on!

:grouphugg:fiestyblue, I am also struggling a bit. Your story is a little like mine. Did S W years ago, just red and green, lost 1.5 stone then it just came back on again, only even heavier. Re joined S W in Jan this year and so far have only lost 11lbs, others are losing between 2-3 lbs a week and still not sticking 100% to plan. 3 weeks ago I only lost 0.5lbs, 2 weeks ago 2.5lbs (whoop whoop) and last week again 0.5lbs. I was so disappointed as I am not going over syns and as I said sticking to it 100%, not going out for meals, no alcohol so it seems pretty unfair. I know exactly how you feel. I am doing the red and green plans only as I dont like veg very much. My c said if I dont lose much this week she will get me to do an SAS log! Sending sympathies to you do you think there may be a medical reason for this though? It is a pity you cant get to group as a c may be able to help you. With regard to the water, last week I drank about 2 litres a day, and then only lost 0.5lbs! Just stick at it, thats what I am doing, let me know how you are going on! Do you exercise much?

Hi, how many weeks have you been on SW for? as i sometimes find my weight loss can be take 2 weeks to show. If i have been a bit naughty i may still lose but the following week i have been 100 % and have had a gain. If you have only been on it for a few weeks may be worth giving it a bit longer and trying a mixture of Red, Green and EE. Have you seen a doctor to rule out any medical issues affecting your weight loss. Hope everything works out for you, keep your chin up x

This will be my 8th week coming up! I am going through the menopause and when I last did it I was a lot younger so I dont think that can help although other women are also at my time of life. I am generally very positive about the plan, but if I dont get what I deserve this Monday I will feel a bit down I think. Tell you what though, will make you laugh!!!I keep prodding myself thinking "do I feel slimmer here?" Think I am losing the plot LOL. Sorry dont know how to take the italics off!!! Ha ha You keep smiling too, we will get there hun! Let me know how this week goes with yr weight loss.

hollys nan I'm 27 and on hormones to put me through a fake menopause due to Endometriosis.

I was going to class, sticking 100% to the plan and gaining weight, not sticking and then loosing! It was annoying.

I then stuck to it, filled in a food diary and did SAS, lost 2.5lbs one week, gained 1lb the week after. My Consultant was coming along with "stick to the plans they work" and I was exclaiming "HOW!?"

In the end, Ive rejoined a different group, but they did some research and I was told that whilst everyone has the ability to lose 1-2lb per week some people will struggle, and I should be happy to lose MAXIMUM 1lb per week!

I went from being frustrated to fed up. And Ive since rejoined a different group and my new C is loads better.

Going through the menopause (real or fake) can cause issues with weight loss, do you do food diary's on here that we can see? it could be something you think is right but isnt that could be affecting the weight loss x

Thanks for these helpful answers to the question from feistyBlue. I can't seem to get the hang of SW :(

How come Pink Boots? Maybe we can help you (even a tiny bit) if you tell us your story! xx

You can read my Blog for more details. I only lost 0.5 lb in my first week. I stick to all that I am supposed to. I don't eat chocolate or any sweets anymore, I fill up on fruit and veg, I keep my syns as low as pos, this week I only had one day where the syn value was 10 appart from that only about max 8.... I walk I stopped baking...I just don't know where I am going wrong. One of the Lady's in class syn's way more than me, is on EE as well and looses every week at least 2 lb....I simply don't know where I am going wrong

Commented on your blog xx

You can read my Blog for more details. I only lost 0.5 lb in my first week. I stick to all that I am supposed to. I don't eat chocolate or any sweets anymore, I fill up on fruit and veg, I keep my syns as low as pos, this week I only had one day where the syn value was 10 appart from that only about max 8.... I walk I stopped baking...I just don't know where I am going wrong. One of the Lady's in class syn's way more than me, is on EE as well and looses every week at least 2 lb....I simply don't know where I am going wrong

This goes to show as so many people have said, having less syns will not mean you lose more weight, you are told you can have upto 15 syns because you can have this many and it will still work, are you weighing and measuring hexa's and b's, some people find if they eat alot of fruit it affects their losses, try more veg and less fruit one week and see if that makes a difference.
Back in the red and green days I would lose very well on reds and not on green days - my body just didn't like it, so now if I have EE or (rarely) green days I have to watch the amount of carbs I have

I must admit I am having a lot of fruit but to get my superfree in I have to. I dont like veg so that could be a problem, but as I said before when I last did it I lost about 1 - 2 lbs a week. However, tonight I have had stuffed tomatoes with HEB mince and a lovely rib sauce and HEA reduced fat cheese. Lovely and I feel really full.

I too understand as my weight loss is very slow and it is frustrating. I know it will be slow due to tablets I am on,and being menopausal but even so:confused:,it's frustrating.

When we have all been so good;) and we see others losing it can bring out the "green eyed monster":jelous:

holly's nan:I love the sound of your dinner, yummy:)

Yep holidaygirl exactly the same as me hun! Did I say stuffed toms, I meant stuffed large mushrooms with a nice spicy rib sauce. If you want the recipe I will post on here for you. We will keep on though wont we, we will not be beaten! We will be slim and in a size 10 soon ha ha

I know before I was on the hormone treatment I was able of the 3 and 4lb losses. But im not on the treatment.
I rejoined. Have 1lb a week goal. Im taking it week by week and 1lb a week is 3 stone by Christmas!
x

feistyblue said:
I apologise in advance for how long this is!

Back in 2008 I lost almost 3 stone with SW, doing mainly Green days with a very few red days as I really struggled with not being able to have what I consider 'ordinary' food such as a proper spag bol, cottage pie etc.

Over the next two years I put back on about 1 1/2 stone of that loss. I was delighted to read about extra easy last year as that seems a far more normal way of eating to me. So I rejoined SW in March 2010 and despite sticking to plan 100% for four weeks I only ever gained or STS. I gave up in despair as my consultant had no explanation or help for me.

My weight crept up again since last August as I was back on steroids and then went to Australia for 6 weeks over Christmas and I am now back up to 12stone 4lbs which I am not at all happy about as it is only 1 stone away from my start weight when I first went to SW in 2008.

I am determined to get this weight off and get to 10 stone. There is nothing I want more in the world, so I decided to re-start SW, but not going to group as I just can't make the weigh in times that are available here and I did most of my original loss by myself after attending group for only about 6 weeks. I'm not someone that needs that support and clapping etc.

Anyway, I have always drunk around 3-5 litres of water a day so I know I have that covered. I decided to start again a few weeks ago. In my first week I didn't have all the right foods in as I had only just decided to restart SW the day after I had done my weeks food shopping but I was able to do breakfast, lunch and most dinners 100% on EE, it was just the snacks I fell down on. I basically ate whatever chocolate and full fat yogurts I wanted to get rid of them with the aim to start the next week 100% on plan. That first week gave me a 2lb loss which really surprised me as I was even eating crisps everyday which I never normally have in the house. The next week I put that 2lb back on which really upset me as I know I had been on plan 100%. I kept a food diary, was only having around 8 syns a day and had even bought the evil fry light rather than use my usual spray oil. My son had requested we eat only vegetarian food for a week so I did a week of green days only with just Sunday having a roast chicken. I really hate using artificial ingredients but realise it's important for me in the case of fry light as trying to guess syns on spray olive oil would be inaccurate.

My diet isn't that unhealthy even when not doing SW in terms of main meals, I eat a lot of fresh veg and fruit and never use any jar sauces or anything. Everything I cook is from scratch and we don't have junk food. The only thing that I can be really bad about is chocolate/cake (all home baked) and even then nowhere near the extent of a lot of people. I am also naughty with bread and toast with marmite or marmalade was a snack. I cut this problem straight out with SW by not buying bread anymore and I have pasta salads for lunches instead.

A typical day for me on SW would be 2 weetabix with measured milk (HEX A & HEX B) for breakfast with raspberries or other fruit on top, pasta, salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumber and parmesan (2 syns worth) for lunch and mushroom risotto with salad for dinner. 2 finger kitkat for a snack in the evening (5.5 syns) 1 x shape zero yogurt and banana, clementines, grapes, yellow plums, pears, apples to snack during the day if hungry.

I am very careful with portion sizes so have only been having 50g of pasta at lunch and always weight it and weigh pasta and rice etc if having those for dinner.

I know that I am eating more than 1/3 super free at lunch and dinner so why is this diet not working for me again? Is it possible for SW to just not work for some people? What makes it worse is that my close friend started at the same time as me and often goes way over her syns and yet she lost 4lbs the same week I put on!

Hi hun. One thing that struck me when reading your post was the fact you are weighing pasta and rice etc. You don't need to do this on EE and if you are, you might not actually be eating enough to lose weight. The key is to eat until you are full and try and get most of your superfree from veg as it has less sugar in it than fruit. My c always says if you snacking loads between meals then you aren't eating enough at mealtimes. Plus please eat your syns! As weight loss plateaus you need something to reduce - so if you have already limited your syns too much you will end up cutting out free foods etc and being hungry. Good luck x

Yep holidaygirl exactly the same as me hun! Did I say stuffed toms, I meant stuffed large mushrooms with a nice spicy rib sauce. If you want the recipe I will post on here for you. We will keep on though wont we, we will not be beaten! We will be slim and in a size 10 soon ha ha

Hi holly's nan
Would you mind putting the recipe on here as it sounds so nice, mushroom or tomato:p, both would be tasty!
I wish I could be a size 10, could wear my daughters clothes, hehe!

Thing I notice is that you're not really sticking to the plan. You're doing your own version of it. For starters you're limiting your carbs by all the weighing. That is not part of slimming world. Secondly you say you're doing EE, but your typical menu resembled a green day. So it was as though you were doing a green day, but weighing out your carbs as you would on a red day. But on either of those days you're supposed to have 2 HEB and 1-2HEA. So I would say from your menu that you are not eating enough, or eating enough of the right foods. SW after all isn't a calorie controlled diet, but rather the proportions of different nutrients that make it work, i.e. the high fibre content promotes weight loss.

I know it's weird to get your head around, but I seriously always lose more weight if I have all 15 syns and 2 HEA and 2 HEB (I'm veggie, so stick to green days.) I would say try to do 100% EE, eating both your free meats and carbs WITHOUT WEIGHING until you're satisfied and use your syns and appropriate HE's.

Good luck!

Hi, This is my first post and i just wanted to say that i think fruit maybe my problem too, i either stay the same or gain a pound then loose a pound and go round and round in circles like this, my consultant said that she thinks i am eating too many fruits and that i should bulk up my meals by using my healthy extras with my meals i.e i now have egg on toast for breakfast instead of a bowl of fruit with an activia yogurt on. I cant do EE i wish i could but it just doesnt seem to work for me, i do red days everyday, i am hoping that thursday morning (weigh day) i will see an improvement, i will keep going , good luck to you all this week as well. xx

Hi holidaygirl10, have posted stuffed mushroom recipe on the winter recipes section as I dont want to be told off by the mods for posting in the wrong place. Hope you enjoy it, and it always fills me up. I do it for a red day, but it would work just as well on the other plans too. See you in the winter recipe section. Bye.....

Just to let you know I have posted the recipe on the thread connected to lamb by mistake instead of starting a new thread. Dont quite know how to copy and paste but if you look at the menu I am sure you will find it. Sorry!

Back