What am I doing wrong!

rat_boy123

Well I started dieting at around 20.7 stone in late april I am now 18.3 my diet consist of 3 healthy meals a day breakfast, lunch , dinner I usually have branflakes for breakfast and for lunch I tend to have soap and dinnar tend's to consist of salad with potato's with a piece of meat chicken,fish beef etc etc not always meat (no large porations). I also try to go to the gym at least 3 times a week I only started the gym 3 weeks ago I was losing weight at what I thought was a decent pace, but it seems the last 2 weeks I have lost nothing and its really buging me why! I cant figure why its happening I do drink on a Saturday but not much (only thing eles I drink is water during the week) but I have been doing that since I started dieting and I have lost weight I cant see a few units of alcohol causing no loss of weight for the past 2 weeks any ideas? or should I change my dieting

:cry:

Hi there

Could be several things, you may just have hit a natural plateau, happens to us all at some point.

It could be youre not eating enough, it might be you need something more structured to follow, like WW SW or Calorie Counting, sometimes just cutting back doesnt work because you cut back too much.

If youre only having a few drinks a week I cant honestly see that being to blame, theres a few of us on here who *ahem* like a drink now and again ;)

I got to admit I have missed breakfast once or twice that might have done it but having 18.3 stone for the past 2 weeks is annoying :sigh: the first week I never lost anything i was quite shocked maybe because I ate quite healthy never snaked went to the gym 4 times that week and lost 0 was quite a blow to me first time while dieting I have lost 0 now this week and the same :cry:

I got to admit I have missed breakfast once or twice that might have done it but having 18.3 stone for the past 2 weeks is annoying :sigh: the first week I never lost anything i was quite shocked maybe because I ate quite healthy never snaked went to the gym 4 times that week and lost 0 was quite a blow to me first time while dieting I have lost 0 now this week and the same :cry:

Welcome!

Well done on your weight loss and exercise.

Just wondering have you done body measurements as often on those weeks you stay the same the inches do seem to come off.

Might also be worth keeping a food diary and pointing it to see if you are having enough to eat as Starlight has already said...

Love Mini xxx

Hi hun are you doing a lot of work at the gym could you be lossing lbs but gaining muscel mass have you tried measuring ur self xx

I think that Mandye is probably right and maybe you have gained muscle but lost fat...as you know muscle weighs heavier than fat but works a lot harder! So good news if you have! Also if you have hit a natural plateau try shaking up your workout a little...if you lift weights try lifting just a little more for shorter reps or perhaps if you are stuck in a routine with machines try doing a little more on some of them...x Don't lose heart!

You've done a great job so far, so don't give up. Try eating slightly different foods to wake your body up a bit. It may have got used to the same foods and need a bit of shaking up.

Hang in there.

Sharon

Hi hun are you doing a lot of work at the gym could you be lossing lbs but gaining muscel mass have you tried measuring ur self xx

I think that Mandye is probably right and maybe you have gained muscle but lost fat...as you know muscle weighs heavier than fat but works a lot harder!

Sorry, have to chime in here. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, so muscle isn't heavier.

Also, you can't gain muscle if you are on a calorie deficit. Having said that, when you start going to the gym, the muscles can hold on to a bit extra water.

So...after all that :D

I'm with the measuring yourself and also using some sort of plan. Either SW, WW or calorie counting. It's not easy to overeat on healthy foods, but it aint too hard either ;)

I'm with Starlight - you might want to embrace a plan of some kind. It's easy to think you are making healthy choices when you might be over- or under-estimating how much you are eating.

Before I started counting WW points, it was surprising how many things I 'forgot' I was eating. I was also horrified how calorific some 'healthy' foods are!

I'm getting to grips with portion sizes now too, which has been a bit of a revelation to me.

Sorry, have to chime in here. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, so muscle isn't heavier.

Also, you can't gain muscle if you are on a calorie deficit. Having said that, when you start going to the gym, the muscles can hold on to a bit extra water.

So...after all that :D

I'm with the measuring yourself and also using some sort of plan. Either SW, WW or calorie counting. It's not easy to overeat on healthy foods, but it aint too hard either ;)
OOooo...Kd, what I mean was muscle is denser than fat!!! But thanks for correcting me...
According to the experts, 'A pound of fat weight the same as a pound of muscle,... however, a cubic inch of fat is going to weigh less than a cubic inch of muscle. Muscle is more dense, and when comparing the same volume of fat to muscle, muscle, because it is more dense, weighs more.'

Muscle is more dense, and when comparing the same volume of fat to muscle, muscle, because it is more dense, weighs more.'

Yep. Agree with that :D, but there wouldn't have been any muscle gain, so there might be loss of inches, but the muscle wouldn't weigh any more than they did at the beginning of the diet :)

Well done on getting this far thats a great achievement. I would definintely suggest never ever missing breakfast, its the most important meal of the day because its the one meal that kickstarts your metabolism from its sleeping slumber. You could be gaining muscle the more exercise you do but definintely don't stop the exercise.

I would look at following a structured diet like WW (I'm a huge fan!!) and vary your work outs so you don't do the same routine twice during the week, what we all need to do is fool our body that way you will continue to lose weight.

Trainer bob said so on the biggest loser last week and I guess he knows what he's talking about!!

Also make sure you are drinking at least 2 litres of water day - water really does help with weight loss.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Everyone else has given great advice - I just want to say Hi - and you are doing great

Thanks for all the advice and praise. I have decided I will start CC (calorie counting) I will keep you all informed with my progress

Well I am currently 14 stone on the dot was aiming for my goal of 12 by xmas but messed up about 3 weeks and went off track a little but im back on track and aiming for 13 for xmas and 12 next year Il post again when im 13 :D

wow,well done! Thats a great result! Take it the calorie counting worked!! Well done!!:)

Back