What book are you reading?

I'm reading 11/22/63 - Stephen King at the moment. I've been reading it since October I think? I usually finish a book in about a day so this is weird for me. I haven't ever been in the mood to read it since I got to part 2! I'll probably pick it up again in a few months when the urge to read comes back! I did re-read all the HP books right before I started this one so I probably put myself off by doing that.

I really want to read the hitchhiker's guide books! I have the audiobooks but it's not the same as reading a book is it :(.. I just haven't had the cash to buy them nor have I ever seen them in a charity shop :( and my birthday wish list is already full of stuff lol xmas maybe?! :D

The hunger games sounds good! There's a movie coming out eh?

I'm reading 11/22/63 - Stephen King at the moment. I've been reading it since October I think? I usually finish a book in about a day so this is weird for me. I haven't ever been in the mood to read it since I got to part 2! I'll probably pick it up again in a few months when the urge to read comes back! I did re-read all the HP books right before I started this one so I probably put myself off by doing that.

I really want to read the hitchhiker's guide books! I have the audiobooks but it's not the same as reading a book is it :(.. I just haven't had the cash to buy them nor have I ever seen them in a charity shop :( and my birthday wish list is already full of stuff lol xmas maybe?! :D

The hunger games sounds good! There's a movie coming out eh?

Try playtrade or amazon marketplace maybe they often have books for very little, not as good as a charity shop obviously! Yeh looking forward to seeing what they do with the film, almost always disappointing as they have to miss so much of a book out to make it into a film.

I have a cheapy ebook reader, fancy a Kindle but wouldn't buy one just now when there's newer models out in the US so got this to do me in the meantime. Not the same as a paper copy but can get most of the books I want for *cough* free *cough* x

Naughty! Haha! My bf has an ereader app on his phone and because it's a sony he can download stuff for free onto it, unlike my iphone which uses ibooks and is impossible to get anything for free, unless its a pile of crap book that you've never heard of lol. I am due an upgrade and was trying to get the same phone but orange have stopped stocking it so I need to hang on until they get more/get the newer version of the phone :D

Yeah I'll have a look, think I saw the whole collection for about £10 on one site, I just don't actually have the £10 to spare! Bursary day soon tho :D

I only tend to read Kids books since I have lost all hope of reading anything that I have to consentrate with a little one in the house. I just finished book nine of the How to train your dragon series by Cressida Cowell.

I only tend to read Kids books since I have lost all hope of reading anything that I have to consentrate with a little one in the house. I just finished book nine of the How to train your dragon series by Cressida Cowell.

This might seem a silly question given the current craze, but have you read the Twilight books? They're aimed at younger readers &I have to admit they're brilliantly written.

This might seem a silly question given the current craze, but have you read the Twilight books? They're aimed at younger readers &I have to admit they're brilliantly written.
I have not read the books. Made the mistake of watching the movies and that put me off a bit. Found the films a tad too OTT! Glad you are telling me the books are good. Seems I dismissed them too quickly

I love Jodi Picoult books, but other than her I am all vampire fiction and anything that involves mythical/magical stuff.

I have not read the books. Made the mistake of watching the movies and that put me off a bit. Found the films a tad too OTT! Glad you are telling me the books are good. Seems I dismissed them too quickly

Books are a LOT better than the films.

I'm also reading the first game of thrones book atm. I really like it but I am a fan of fantasy (and sci fi). My "to read" list is here I'm gonna be stuck when I come to picking my next one!

I've got quite a few of the Discworld books & can't bring myself to start reading them, there's 33 in the series:eek: & once started I want to read them all.

After I've finished Game of Thrones I'll read the Outlander series then maybe I'll start on the discworld books. Terry Pratchet is brill what a wonderful imagination he has.

If you like game of thrones. I recommend Katherine kerr deverry series. Also wizards first rule - can't remember author though

Currently reading Kim Harrison hollows series. Very good

Try playtrade or amazon marketplace maybe they often have books for very little, not as good as a charity shop obviously! Yeh looking forward to seeing what they do with the film, almost always disappointing as they have to miss so much of a book out to make it into a film.

I have a cheapy ebook reader, fancy a Kindle but wouldn't buy one just now when there's newer models out in the US so got this to do me in the meantime. Not the same as a paper copy but can get most of the books I want for *cough* free *cough* x

I'm a sucker for real books. Other women collect clothes/shoes/bags but I guilt trip over those whereas books I don't. And I tend to target the second hand ones on Amazon. Yesterday I found a lovely edition of Grimm's Fairy Tales my daughter wanted to read and today a copy of The Bloody Chamber for a couple of quid.

Happy Holidays - I discovered Discworld many years ago. About 4 years ago I finally persuaded my teenage son to read one knowing his SOH would "get it" at once and he's been hooked ever since. For Christmas I was able to get him a signed copy of the latest novel Snuff. It cost a fraction of some of his other stuff but it's his favourite gift of all time. The books aren't a "series" as such so they don't have to be read in sequence but I'd probably recommend you kick off with the first few in sequence just to get to know the main recurring characters. I'm a Granny Weatherwax fan, son loves Sam Vimes and Death.

Happy Holidays said:
I've got quite a few of the Discworld books & can't bring myself to start reading them, there's 33 in the series:eek: & once started I want to read them all.

After I've finished Game of Thrones I'll read the Outlander series then maybe I'll start on the discworld books. Terry Pratchet is brill what a wonderful imagination he has.

I have all the terry pratchetts, only read a few though. I own far to many books, never get round to reading them all!

Korrigan said:
For Christmas I was able to get him a signed copy of the latest novel Snuff. It cost a fraction of some of his other stuff but it's his favourite gift of all time. The books aren't a "series" as such so they don't have to be read in sequence but I'd probably recommend you kick off with the first few in sequence.

I have a signed equal rites book. Total accident i got it. Was in a second hand book shop, totally unmarked and unread, paid £2 for it, opened it when i got home and its signed. Best bargain i ever got, even got it checked to make sure its a genuine signature and it is. And i read the first two then read them out of sequence, after you've read those first time its easy to read them out of order.

I have a signed equal rites book. Total accident i got it. Was in a second hand book shop, totally unmarked and unread, paid £2 for it, opened it when i got home and its signed. Best bargain i ever got, even got it checked to make sure its a genuine signature and it is. And i read the first two then read them out of sequence, after you've read those first time its easy to read them out of order.

Equal Rites is my fave :sigh: I even named my last dog Esk!

I like pretty mardy stuff- anything by Iain Banks, Irvine Welsh, anything where someone gets raped/murdered/fiddled out of a family wealth in curious circumstances. Generally, I tend to dislike a happy ending.

I love Irvine Welsh, especially Trainspotting, Filth and Marabou Stork Nightmares - although that one really disturbed me!

Blueway said:
I love Irvine Welsh, especially Trainspotting, Filth and Marabou Stork Nightmares - although that one really disturbed me!

I LOVED MSN although it took my a while to get into with all the phonetics. Didn't see that ending coming! Haven't read Filth- will stick that on my list.

ooh, just have to mention two more books I love: my favourite of all time is Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter (love her work so much), and another that's really rather gritty but good is High Society by Ben Elton.

just thought of another amazing one: Fire and Hemlock by Dianna Wynne Jones, really excellent book.

Back