What book are you reading?

Hi all

Finished Her Fearful Symmetry and I wasn't impressed TBH. Just started Anil's Garden by Michael Ondaatje, I like it already, it's an engaging story.

Kirstles
x

's funny but my friend wasn't impressed either and I really liked it and preferred it to Time Traveller's Wife which she absolutely loved......just shows how different we all are x

I think the story telling was cracking up until the final act. I just didn't get the way it all went down (without giving too much away). I liked the characters and connected with them but given that connection I found the final act really implausible. I wasn't massively impressed with TTW either, I suspect that Audrey and I are just not meant to be friends!

Has anyone read When God Was a Rabbit?

Kirstles
x

Oh it's absolutely fantastic, would defo recommend it. Fav book of the year so far ;)

Thanks Kirstles shall have to get that one. Still have the Stieg Larson books to read Millenium series and friend has passed me some chic lit. Kindle is loaded and books all over the place! Am addicted to books......and food!!
Can't pass a charity shop without buying more xx

Just finished reading Divergent, which I absolutely adored! It was amazing! & I've just started reading The Maze Runner :)

Hiya, hope no-one minds me restarting this thread up again but I'm after some advice?! Have just got my mum a kindle for Xmas & wanting to load some books for her... She likes stuff like Maeve Binchy (I think that's right) but I don't know what type of books they are, or similar authors or anything else people can recommend along this theme?

Thanks in advance X

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya, hope no-one minds me restarting this thread up again but I'm after some advice?! Have just got my mum a kindle for Xmas & wanting to load some books for her... She likes stuff like Maeve Binchy (I think that's right) but I don't know what type of books they are, or similar authors or anything else people can recommend along this theme?

Thanks in advance X

Hey hun

Im not sure who that author is, I don't read a lot and the stuff I do read on my iPad kindle hubby calls it "pervy stuff" lol.
i did a search on that author for you though and this came up which may help you decide on some other books your mum may like.

If You Like Maeve Binchy You Might Enjoy - Readers - Multnomah County Library

I have noticed on amazon kindle when you order books it also comes up with "other recommendations" to what you have purchased so it might be worth checking it out.

Amazon.co.uk: Kindle eBooks

It might be worth checking out the top free 100 kindle downloads, I've read some good freebies too.
Also take a look at the reviews of that author your mum likes as you may find people recommending other books to try too.

I hope this helps.

Stacey xxx

I am currently reading 'Narcissus in Chains' - it is part of the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K Hamilton - much recommended!

and I have just enjoyed The Midwifes Daughter by Patricia Ferguson, and think it would make a mega good t.v. series

Maeve Binchy is not too racy and writes nice gentle (usually) romantic type novels. Sadly she's passed away now. The thing is do you think your Mum would prefer to read about people at about her age or dies that not matter? Recently I have realised that reading books about people in their late 20's or early 30's just doesn't do it for me unless they are married with 2 kids ;-)) the books need to have something I can relate to.

On the other hand I'll read that vampire nonsense and crime stuff without a backward glance. Well, unless all the lights are off and I hear a noise....

Will look into Maeve Binchy alternatives for you. Does she like mysteries or crime or anything? X

I'm reading the first game of thrones book at the moment, taking me ages to get through it, partly because its so long and partly because I never have time to read

Ive just finished abraham lincoln: vampire hunter and i loved it.
i have a few book on the side ready to start reading but i think i might wait till the new years as i wont be able to give them my full atention till xmas and new years is out of the way.

always looking for new books, so i will be checking out reviews on what you are reading too :)

Back