What calories are you eating today - Friday?

hollycat

To infinity and beyond!
Well, I am off to work this morning. Work in a school and have to work a fortnight of the school summer holidays sorting out the timetable ready for next year. It is only for a few hours every day, but finishing today for four weeks, which is great.
Anyway I have had porridge for breakfast this morning (200 cals) and of course my last portion of pate on toast for lunch when I get back (290 cals) I have bought an Asda be good to yourself chicken sizzler meal for dinner(300 cals) doesn't look that much though so may add baked potato.

Hope everybodies calorie counting is going well :)

Morning everyone,

Lovely day and we're apparently in for a HOT weekend here, rising to 32°C Sunday :)

I was amazed at the numbers on the scale this morning, as have lost 10lbs in four days, but remember I did gain a silly amount of weight in a short time too and have been low carbing as well as low calorie counting.

From tomorrow, I will be increasing my calorie load else I'll get stuck here, and from Monday alternating again lower and higher days (probably 1,000 then 1,400 to see how I get on).

You're right holly that your calories are rather low there: no veg or fruit?

Today and Karion PLEASE feel free to comment (I promise "real carbs" come back tomorrow! Just as soon as I get to the country and dig up some potatoes :)):

½ grapefruit (30)
small boiled egg (70)
1 yogurt (55)
= (155)

6oz salmon (300)
+ veggies only in salad (50)
+ spoonful piemontaise salad (50)
1 yog (55)

Snack later 1 apple (70)
= 525

Ham 5oz (250)
+ egg (70)
+ veggies only in salad (50)
spoonful coleslaw (50)

Snack later 1 peach (40)
= 460

totalling = 1,200 ish with little ss milk in 2 x tea

Looking good :) Thanks for the breakdown of calories :D

Have written a little about carb into on the other thread. Also asked what a piemontaise salad is, but then slipped onto the next page with more waffle so you might miss it.

Sounds interesting.

Holly. Yes. Where's the fruit and veg? Are you a F&V hater, or just forgotten to report;)

hi Karion, I'll go and look at the carb post too,

I've just realised that it's not piemontaise salad (ham, potato, egg, mayo) but macedoine salad (diced veggies + mayo). I bought my piece of salmon from a deli last night and there was a spoonful on the presentation plate! I'm guestimating calories but am sure it'll be homemade (calorie laden) mayonnaise so I counted high. (It is lovely!!)

Karion, I'd love to see what you eat each day. I seem to have been dieting or overeating for such a long time that I'm not great at realising what "normal" food intake is any more...

I've just realised that it's not piemontaise salad (ham, potato, egg, mayo) but macedoine salad (diced veggies + mayo).

Sounds lovely. Both of them :D

Karion, I'd love to see what you eat each day. I seem to have been dieting or overeating for such a long time that I'm not great at realising what "normal" food intake is any more...

Ummm. Well, not calorie counting, and don't even want to tot them up (or weight anything!) otherwise I'll either be drawn to eat more to make it add up to the right amount, or go into panic mode:eek:

For the last few days I've had smaller meals and more snacks. I'm on school hols and around the house more. Tend to gravitate to the fridge rather too often:eek: Not sure what I'm having today (again...cos I'm on my hols). Here's yesterdays menu

6:00 smoothie. Skimmed milk, strawbs and banana. A little greek yoghurt.
9:00 Some porridge (about 30g) with a handful of frozen fruit.
Mid morning: Apple microwaved with a sprinkling of brown sugar and cinnamon.

Lunch: Tinned mackerel in tom sauce on one slice of seeded bread. Yoghurt.
Mid Afternoon: 2 Nairn low GI ginger biscuits. They are thin. Not many calories. For some reason I don't feel the need to eat the whole packet with these. Maybe because they are low GI, but I think it's because I've never given myself permission to do so, so never started the 'trend'.

Dinner. Chicken leg. New potatoes. Basic Salad (lett, tom, celery, cucumber)with a desertspoon of mayo and another of pot salad...(not low cal..prefer the creamier stuff).

Mid evening: 2 nectarines. One 2 bar kit kat, 3 chocolate lime boiled sweets, OMG, dread to think what else :D Ummm. Ahhh yes, I had a few almonds.

Midnight: bowl of cornflakes.

Exercise. About 1.5 hrs walking (2 3/4 hr stints) One in the morning and one in the evening. Both times to actually go somewhere rather than to purposely take exercise.

Thank you for sharing that Karion, and hope you will again. Of course our calorie counting analytical brains immediately start totting up, but I turned my brain's calculator off and hope you did too. These are the sort of foods you are choosing to eat when you have no weight problem. That's the sort of thing I need to learn.

I tend to associate certain foods with diet; and certain foods with overeating. There is no middle ground because, as I maintained with the 80 / 20% plan, I kept it going through maintenance when you think about it. I didn't have a problem with that, while maintaining, as I quite liked having a "eat until you're stuffed day!" each week but of course I haven't done anything about curing my eating disorder.

On Sunday, for instance, I had planned salmon and veggies for dinner. Knowing that I was continuing the overeating right through to bedtime, I popped the salmon into the freezer preferring to have four bangers, mash and baked beans...

I unfortunately LIKE all the wrong foods!

Thank you Karion and hope I haven't inadvertently awakened any demons in you; if so, go to the other thread and look at my kittens...

Of course our calorie counting analytical brains immediately start totting up, but I turned my brain's calculator off and hope you did too.

It's hard isn't it! Took me ages to learn to trust myself.

I tend to associate certain foods with diet; and certain foods with overeating.

I know what you mean. Perhaps that was one of the reasons that I steered towards foods that weren't really considered 'diet' foods, once I was ready to maintain. Referring here to low fat yoghurts, artificial sweeteners etc. Okay...to be honest, I chose the full fat variety cos I prefer them :D, but I did have the non-diet mentality in mind too. All so confusing sometimes.

I quite liked having a "eat until you're stuffed day!" each week but of course I haven't done anything about curing my eating disorder.

Well, it's a difficult one. I just felt ready to move on to this stage. I guess it's the difference between putting concealer on a sore so that it doesn't show, or curing the sore so that you don't have to conceal it.
I really understand people doing the first choice. Did it for years myself (pretty unsuccessfully too:rolleyes:).

Again it comes down to what I've been saying in other threads. I had to consider whether I was eating to look slim, or whether I was eating to look after myself. Just felt ready to give my body a bit of TLC ;)
I unfortunately LIKE all the wrong foods!

Me too :D
Thank you Karion and hope I haven't inadvertently awakened any demons in you

No, not at all. I do go through phases of getting overexcited about what I'm doing and enjoyed writing it down. Haven't done that for ages, and since I don't really pre-plan or analyse what I eat any more I'm quite chuffed that it still looks okay.

So thanks for asking. Much appreciated.

PS Kittens are gorgeous!

Hi Karion and Joanne,

Yes you spotted it, not much fruit and vegetables going on in my diet. Not a big fan, there are some peppers and onions in my chicken sizzler, but that is about it. :eek:
I know I should try harder, but if it is a choice between 50 cals on an apple or 50 cals on a caramel snack a jack, then I'm afraid the apple gets left behind.
I have promised that I will make more effort, but feel at the moment that I want to make 100% sure that my head is in diet mode, before making any major changes.

Canned soups are a good source of your daily 5 F & V, are as fresh ones, of course, and fruit and vegetable juices. Tomatoes are great cos they are very low in calories and you can chomp on a few if you're peckish without 'breaking' your diet.

I struggle to manage 3 F & V a day most days cos like Hollycat I use my calorie allowance for other things, but salad is very low in calories and my fave prepacked one is Asda Ranch Salad. MMmmmmm.

Today I've had a Slim Fast shake for breakfast. (218 cals) Very late lunch will be scrambled eggs with sliced mushrooms and tomatoes. (250 cals?)

Supper snack - not decided yet. Late snack Slim Fast vanilla ice cream. (around 190 cals cos slightly less milk added).

I take a quality vitamin/mineral supplement every day, and Glucosamine for my arthritis. Must get more vitamin B complex to help me metabolise my food.

Holly. I do understand as I remember feeling the same once. When you feel more ready you could add veg to meals when cooking and may well find you save calories rather than add to them.

If you have any meals with lots of sauce (curry for example), you could try adding cooked veg towards the end (or even frozen veg near the beginning)to bulk it out and when you serve up, freeze half.

Bet you'll hardly taste the veg;)

I remember being F&Vless for years. Now I can't imagine eating like that any more. Nothing looks or feels enough without the extras.

Hi,

I am hoping I will feel that way one day, but I'm not sure I will ever feel like that.

I have just put my chicken sizzler in the oven and it says on the back, it is worth 2 of my 5 F & V portions, so feeling very angelic at the moment :innocent0002:

Hi,

I am hoping I will feel that way one day, but I'm not sure I will ever feel like that.

I have just put my chicken sizzler in the oven and it says on the back, it is worth 2 of my 5 F & V portions, so feeling very angelic at the moment :innocent0002:

That did make me smile :D Oh well, haven't converted you to the joys of F&V yet, but 2 of the 5 is better than none. Cool:cool:

Holly, if you like strawberries they are very low in calories and full of vitamin C. I couldn't manage without F&V, esp the V. Last night I made a pseudo lasagne with vegetables and chard leaves instead of pasta, only 59 calories for a big portion.

Hi,

Strawberries, no, sorry, they have bits.

I must tell you I am very picky with my food. I think most fruit and veg tastes like solidified water in various forms, and I'm not keen on water. I don't like anything with bits in, so no squeezed oranges or other fruit, no yogurts, unless they are smooth and only seedless jam! No lumps of tomato in my pasta sauce either.

Also I love chicken, but cringe if I have to touch a bone, so chicken fillets only!!

Since working with special educational needs children, I have diagnosed by my work mates as being on the autistic spectrum, as I have some very funny ideas about things. They laugh at work as I am quite anal about having all the mugs in the cupboard with the handles to the right. I have a cutlery tray in my drawer at work, with individual spaces for pens, pencils, rubbers, rulers, etc which all have to point upwards.
Personally I just think I am probably very tidy :D

Reactions: KD
Hmmm, smoothies? Don't tell me, you don't like the texture. I'm with you on the water though, really not keen unless it is flavoured. CD was hell.

I must tell you I am very picky with my food. I think most fruit and veg tastes like solidified water in various forms,

I remember feeling exactly the same! On the above bit of your message anyway.

Couldn't stand anything water based. Hated squash, only lliked creamy sauces. Milk fine, cream better. Water yuck. Fortunately I managed to change my tastes.

Mango is kinda of nice though. Very smooth, not too watery. No pips!!! Might suit you when you're feeling like a change...sometime;)

Thanks for the tips ladies

Smoothies, I only ever had one and it contravened the trade descriptions act as it wasn't very smooth. :(

Mango, never tried it, perhaps I will brace myself and try some. :D

This thread made me laugh. I know I'm going to sound unsympathetic, and I don't know how else to word it so as not to, but at 22 stone I was a really fussy eater truly hated vegetables (except peas and sweetcorn) and never ate salad, and the only fruit I'd eat was bananas.

When I started dieting, I knew that I not only had to lose weight but also wanted to correct some of my bad eating habits. I rarely ate meals, snacked incessantly, and ate a lot of ready made meals and take aways...

I can't pretend that I started liking all veggies and salad ingredients immediately but I did like the fact that I could have large portions on my plate! My tastes have now changed tenfold and I now like most veg, salad and fruit although confess to only liking iceberg lettuce, no other!

Hi Joanne,

I totally agree with everything that you have written and I promise that I will try different veggies and fruit soon. By the way I did eat a whole apple yesterday :D

I know I should as it is healthier, having said that I lost all my weight last time with barely anything healthy passing my lips!! When I was pregnant with my first son, I made myself eat some F & V as I wanted to give him the best start in life, he was 9lb 7oz, I was not quite as good second time round and he was 12lb 3oz!!

Joking aside, I know I won't make any sweeping changes just yet, but when I have two or three stone under my belt, I plan to make some changes to my diet. I would like to be at goal eating far healthier than I do, as I see it as a major part of maintaining.

How are things with you?

hi Holly,

and I'm so glad that you didn't take my message the wrong way... I truly love veggies now and you'd laugh to read on another thread that I've taken to growing my own now, in the country, and have spent part of the weekend picking, blanching and freezing trillions of French beans! We also have carrots, parsnips, beetroot, spring onions, tomatoes, lettuces... all from our labour! I'm very impressed with our first year's crop! (Lettuces not my taste, mind you!)

Whenever I lose the plot, foodwise, the first thing I do is drop all F+V from the menu, and stop drinking water! I must have a self sabotage button!

I'm doing well though after a lovely hot weekend in the country... now back in the office, but it's thundering and lightning so better here than elsewhere! Food intake not bad, too many plums, but I don't consider them in the same league as chocolate!!

Best of all, I got into a pair of trousers I didn't think I'd be able to this morning... ok no breathing room (haaaa!) but at least they'll remind me not to overeat!

Back