What can you drink on Exante

Found bouillon in tesco was not even looking so thought i would give it a try omg why did i not do this before this and the coke zero really help me through the day

Apologies if this is really obvious but what is bouillon? And can you have it in addition to all the meal replacements?

Sent from my C6833 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hi, bouillon is a stock powder, u have a tsp in a mug of boiling water, its like having a cup of soup, (well...a very thin cup a soup :D) its a godsend when ur starving though.
And yes it's very low in cals, about 10 cals or less, so u are allowed it.

Sent from my C5303 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Yes, I hav had it from the start, and hav been on ts since may, hav lost 5 st, so hasn't hindered my weight loss.

Sent from my C5303 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Going to the pub tonight for a friends birthday... I'm not going to have alcohol but what drink can I drink?!? I know there isn't a lot I can have ... Is tonic or sofa water with line allowed .. Help x

tonic water has citric acid in so not allowed, soda is ok but not with any lemon or lime a
s the citrus will affect ketosis, you could have a black coffee with sweetners or mineral water with ice, coke zero if they have it (not diet coke or pepsi diet or max) not a lot of choice sorry :(

Hi does anyone know if you can have oxo in hot water? and if so which ones can we have cos i like the red one hehe and really fancy some

So pleased I saw this post, I treated myself to a Pepsi Max for tonight as it's Saturday but just realised I can't have it and should have got Coke Zero. Thankfully I hadn't drank it and it will stay firmly in the fridge! Thank you for the info :)

What a useful thread, loads of info! Going to go and stock up on bits tomorrow in preparation for starting exante on Tuesday. Going to sum up just to make sure I have this right.

Coffee and black tea
Coke zero
Marigold boullion
Any drink without added sugar that does not contain citric or lactic acid or anything that looks like it has the word citric or citrate in it.

What about herb teas? I drink a lot of them. I assume it's seed root or leaf that is allowed not flower or fruit. Just wondering where cinnamon tea would fall (it being a bark) , as I have heard cinnamon can speed weight loss. I bought a 3 cinnamon tea, it has 3 types of cinnamon and liquorice root. No other additives just wondering if this would be OK.

Also for people that want a peppermint tea that packs a punch. Try dragonfly Moroccan gunpowder green tea with peppermint, or pukka do a really lovely 3 mint tea that tastes amazing and packs a minty punch.

Sainsburys sparkiling strawberry and kiwi

I think the most common question on here is what drinks can we have - its been asked about a dozen times today :giggle:

SOOOO how bout we make a list

If you have anything else to add copy and paste the most recent list and add yours

Rule of thumb when it comes to soft drinks is anything with NO citric acid...
and, so it would seem, NO lactic acid

Tea
Coffee
Coke Zero
Asda Diet Coke
Dr Pepper Zero
Bouillon
Green Tea
Peppermint Tea
tescos own strawberry water
Sainsburys strawberry and kiwi sparkling water

Asda Cola Zero (No Citric Acid and even better no aspartame)
Sainsbury's Flavoured Still Water (Raspberry & Cranberry, Peach, Apple & Blackberry)
Sainsbury's Diet Cola (No Citric Acid or Aspartame)
Sainsbury's Classic Diet Cola (No Citric Acid or Aspartame)
Sainsbury's Classic Zero (No Citric Acid or Aspartame)
I just bought 12 bottles of the sainsbury's strawberry and kiwi sparkling water that was on the list and out of interest had a look at the ingredients after drinking one bottle it has citric acid urggg have they changed it if so beware :(

Hi just a quick update and some bad news I'm afraid. I wrote to both Coca Cola and Sainsburys for confirmation of the ingredients used in their cola drinks. Unfortunately the following all contain citric acid despite the fact that it's not listed in the ingredients:-

Coke Zero
Dr Pepper Zero
Sainsburys Cola Zero
Sainsburys Diet Cola

VLCD diets are supposed to work by switching the body into ketosis where 2 things happen:

1. The body starts burning fat - you lose weight
2. The "hunger pang" hormones are suppressed - you don't feel hungry

So basically if you go though a day of food-packs and water to get yourself into ketosis, as soon as you drink anything with citric acid, it knocks your metabolism back to normal, you stop losing weight and you feel hungry.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news

HughJarse

Hi just a quick update and some bad news I'm afraid. I wrote to both Coca Cola and Sainsburys for confirmation of the ingredients used in their cola drinks. Unfortunately the following all contain citric acid despite the fact that it's not listed in the ingredients:-

Coke Zero
Dr Pepper Zero
Sainsburys Cola Zero
Sainsburys Diet Cola

VLCD diets are supposed to work by switching the body into ketosis where 2 things happen:

1. The body starts burning fat - you lose weight
2. The "hunger pang" hormones are suppressed - you don't feel hungry

So basically if you go though a day of food-packs and water to get yourself into ketosis, as soon as you drink anything with citric acid, it knocks your metabolism back to normal, you stop losing weight and you feel hungry.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news

HughJarse

I'm not sure that the citric acid thing has been completely proven. I believe that there is some research that suggests that it may take you out of ketosis which is why you are always told not to consume citric acid containing products. It's perhaps an individual thing.

I've done VLCDs more than once and have 2-3 cans of coke zero a day. I'm 100% in ketosis and have lost 1 stone 1lb in the last 2 weeks. I know I couldn't have possibly done this if I wasn't in ketosis. (Oh, and I have the occasional bit of citric acid-containing sugar free gum - to disguise the ketone breath!)

I'm not saying that people should ignore the warnings about citric acid effecting weight loss. But I certainly don't think it's as cut an dried as you say.

If people try some of these things in moderation then they might get away with it too. I think it's worth trying if it makes life easier, but if people don't want to take the risk then they shouldn't

x

I looked at coke zero in the shop today and it had sodium citrate listed as an ingredient. I've been drinking a couple of pints a day. Honestly I haven't noticed any difference - maybe I drink so much that my body is used to it?

Hi folks,
I have just restarted on exante.
I just wanted to share that the new Green coke 'coca cola life' doesn't have citric acid listed in the ingredients and is aspartame free, sweetened by the herbal sweetener stevia, which is a pretty big bonus as far as I am concerned as it was the aspartame that kept me from drinking the gallons of coke zero that I would have done in the past!

Hi folks,
I just wanted to share that the new Green coke 'coca cola life' doesn't have citric acid listed in the ingredients and is aspartame free, sweetened by the herbal sweetener stevia, which is a pretty big bonus as far as I am concerned as it was the aspartame that kept me from drinking the gallons of coke zero that I would have done in the past!

Isn't it half sugar half stevia? I would check the label again just to be sure!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

Hi folks,

i am pretty sure its half sugar half stevia, i would check the label to be sure :)

Back