What do you do with your books???

Minimunchkins

Gold Member
Decided to have a good sort out of our books that we'll never read again. I've bought from Charity shops so wondered if I should just donate them (not sure how much the charity actual benefits from each sale). I Also wondered if hospitals accept book donations - or even if they have any sort of library for patients.
We used to have a brilliant shop in town called Paperback Exchange - you were credited a maximum of 1/2 the original price of each book you took in and could use that credit to buy new or 2nd hand books from them. It was always well attended but think it had to close when no-one else in the family wanted to take it on :cry:
I'd love to hear what you all do with yours.

Mine all go to the charity shop or to friends or family, on the promise that they donate them when they have finished with them.

Charity shop

Mine go to the charity shop but thats more becuase of the convienience as its only 5 mins down the road.

Enquiring at the hospital sounds like a brilliant idea, im sure many hospitals would be grateful of books for patients on day units and inpatients who are admitted for a long period, especially those with little or no family to bring those little extras in x

i am a member of readitswapit.co.uk where you can list the books you have and if anyones wants one they can request a swap and you can pick a book off their list its brill dont buy new ones just swap them

I know this sounds daft but I wonder if hospitals will take them? My doctors surgery has removed all magazines since the swine flu outbreak and they've never been replaced.

You can sell them on Amazon?

I just got some secondhand books from there for my holiday - they only get covered in suntan cream anyway!

x

Most youth hostels have "leave a book, take a book" shelves. If you want to know where your books go, register them first at Welcome to BookCrossing and people who pick them up can leave a message online. My books have travelled to New Zealand and China.

hiya, i buy all mine from the charity shop where i volunteer and just donate them back when i ve read them.50p for paperbacks and 75p hardback, cheap as chips lol

I also use readitswapit, I have swapped some of my books for lastest bestsellers that have only been in the shop for a matter of weeks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this sounds daft but I wonder if hospitals will take them? My doctors surgery has removed all magazines since the swine flu outbreak and they've never been replaced.

I did wonder about that Jaylou. I remember years ago you couldn't donate any toys (cuddly or otherwise) to childrens wards because of the possibility of infections etc. I'll make enquiries but always have plenty of charity shops that I could go to.

I buy 99% of my books from charity shops and give them back after reading them.

I've just had a gander at the Readitswapit website and think it's basically a brill idea. However, it looks like I could find the exact book I fancy, but if I didn't have one that the 'swapper' wants they could turn me down and I couldn't have the one I want anyway :rolleyes:

I tend to just hoard mine, I have hundreds and hate throwing them away. It seems a bit selfish/silly though, and I don't really have sufficient space to continue to do this! I think I might have a sort out and donate some to charity, thanks for the inspiration in this thread - fab idea :)

I know none of the ward in my hospital will take them for infection control issues, BUT, they might have a department like outpatients that will, as outpatients usually not as gravely ill and in patients?

Also don't rule out retirement homes for things like books, videos and DVD's. They usually put on a wee night for residents and any donations are usually gratefully accepted.

My mate uses Bookmooch,BookMooch: trade your books with other people sounds similar to the readitswapit, you 'advertise' your books, someone moochs them and you pay to post them. but it earns you points, i think you get 2 for sending, but can request for 1 point, so if you want books too then they pay to post theirs to you so works out fair.

I've just had a gander at the Readitswapit website and think it's basically a brill idea. However, it looks like I could find the exact book I fancy, but if I didn't have one that the 'swapper' wants they could turn me down and I couldn't have the one I want anyway :rolleyes:

another readitswapit fan here.
yeah you can get turned down but theres often more than one person with the book so you move on to asking them. also if you add the book to your wishlist you people will know you want it and it emails you when the book is added. cause people swap read and relist you then have a new person to try.
if you desperatly want the book if you ask on the forum often enough everyone will try to get a swap for you.
warning its a addictive:)

Back