What do you eat before weigh in?

I weigh in tuesday nights at 7.30..i nearly always have my dinner before weigh in and it doesnt seem to make a difference..the one wk i didnt eat before weigh in i only lost 1.5 lbs!!!

I have a big breakfast and lunch then snack on fruit and maybe a cup of veg soup or cottage cheese until wi at 7 then look forward to my dinner when I get back.

It's at times like these I'm really glad I WI at home. So it's up first thing, go to the loo and jump on the scales. If I was going to a meeting I just know I'd be starving myself all day.

I eat normally, fruit, yogurt, hi fi, proper lunch and a proper dinner. I can't bear to be hungry so the thought of not eating like normal on one day a week is out for me. Plus my wi is 7:30pm.

I just don't get the logic in starving yourself on the WI day e.g. if you look at weight loss over a long period of say a year.....or even a shorter one of a month. If you eat properly for 6 days of the week every week then by eating the same on WI day you will still have lost weight - even if you ate quite a heavy meal it would still level out over time.

I agree with those who say break the cycle - for this reason too I no longer weigh myself first thing in the morning without eating anything as I don't see it as a reflection of my true weight as I will gain as much as 2lb throughout the day with fluids etc.

I've still lost though overall over the week by following the plan.

How do people not eat for a whole day? Wow! The cupboards would be empty by the time I did eat!

I weigh at 5 and usually have:

B porridge or weetabix and banana
S fruit, crabsticks or mini quiche
L - I'll admit it's never pasta on a weigh day but either a meaty/fishy salad or some soup

I don't eat dinner - but because I don't have time between work and group, I do have two banans in my bag for image therapy though... And about ten cups of tea through the day... Feel like a porker now :$

I usually eat what I normally eat on WI day, breakfast and lunch plus all my snacks. I usually have dinner at 6.30 but WI is then so i eat that after.

I once did a very silly thing and ate 2 huge baked sweet potatoes and an entire tin of baked beans for lunch (on a HUNGRY green day) at the end of a really good week and gained 0.5lbs at WI, but the next week I lost 3.5lbs (which is HUGE for me).

It averages out and there will always be blip days where you gain and as Ellebear said it's not good starving the body during the day it will slow your metabolism for that day and it's bloody awful being hungry. Do you want to be hungry every WI day for the rest of your life? That's what made me eat normally, when I realised I was doing this for the long haul.

I only have breakfast and maybe a HiFi mid afternoon! I weigh in at 5.30pm x

Ellebear said:
this subject crops up on minis time after time, and it always leaves me staggered that some people eat nothing on weigh day - especially when the weigh ins are in the evening.

I need to beat you all with some sticks and knock the sense back into you!!!

I speak from experience, as a serial weigher at home, and also a person who used to eat an alpen light bar and a can of pop ONLY on weigh days (back with good ole WW!!! haha) it does you no good in the long run.

Mentally, you think 'if i dont eat, it will make me lighter' and in theory thats true - you wont be taking in the 'weight' of the food, be that pasta, salad or whatever. BUT - your body needs fuel to burn off calories, if it suddenly has no fuel it wont be working properly and your metabolism will start to mess about wondering what the heck is going on.

So my advice is to break this habit......just get a good week under your belt and eat lightly on weigh day. Maybe dont have a cooked brekkie followed by a 3 course lunch and a bottle of wine (see i am humourous as well as informative!!) but eat normally!!!! Then you may maintain, or just lose half a pound - but the cycle will be broken.

I bet as well, once you get in from weigh in you turn into the cookie monster and scoff all sorts as you are on the verge of fainting due to the starving in the day??? I know i used to be like that....which is then a vicious circle cos the next day you are waking up thinking - well, my loss is going to be hindered by last nights eating.....!!!!

Just my thoughts on the matter anyway - i hope some of it makes sense, i just hate to think of people doing SW and starving - its not that sort of eating plan and should be a way of life for when you get to target!! (i mean when you are at target will you not eat for one entire day? nooooooo!!!! so why start now!!!)

Much love, EB x **jumps off soapbox**

I completely agree. Its one thing to eat lightly. Another to NOT eat. Not a true weight loss IMO.

That being said, I weigh in at home and I do it first thing When I get up. So I'm at my lightest. But it really defeats the purpose to not eat. Have SOMETHING! something light and high in protein. Eggs, Greek yogurt, chix etc.

I weigh at 7.30pm and go straight from work usually but I always eat normal brekkie & lunch then about 4pm I have a mug shot. My first few weeks I didn't have the mugshot and got home at 9pm starving. Then 3rd week in had 2 nights out - one of which was an all you can eat buffet ( and boy did I eat!). Assuming I would have out on I had a mugshot before wi and had only put on 1/2 lbs. So decided from then on would not starve myself. Have not put since so will carry on !

I eat my normal breakfast and lunch but, the first week I didn't have my tea before WI and I lost 6 1/2lbs
the next week I had my tea as I was going out I put ON 3lb, last week I didn't eat tea and lost 6lb!!!

So my answer is that I eat normally until lunchtime and put off tea till after WI

I always have tea before I go and be weighed

Its always the way I have done it from week one so I am consistant, we did a show of hands last week at WI and only 4 of us had eaten tea before going to group, it doesn't finish till 9pm so could not wait that long to eat tea, still managed to loose every week, 4 weeks in 8.5lbs lighter ;)

And this week I had pork stir fry with egg noodles and still lost 4.5lbs, very pleased!

Last edited:
I think we are all guilty of not eating much on weigh in day regardless if we have been good or bad....)I do pretty much the same, have cereal in morn and some fruit rest of day but i always make sure i have something cooked that can be easily warmed up after class. My weekly WI is 5.45 on a Mon and if i stay for class it could be near 7 by time im home so its good to have something already prepared.

I think we are all guilty of not eating much on weigh in day regardless if we have been good or bad....)I do pretty much the same, have cereal in morn and some fruit rest of day but i always make sure i have something cooked that can be easily warmed up after class. My weekly WI is 5.45 on a Mon and if i stay for class it could be near 7 by time im home so its good to have something already prepared.

I DON'T do this. i eat a normal breakfast and a normal lunch and snack at snacktime. I just end up eating dinner 30mins later than on a normal night because I'm at weigh in.

I don't believe in not eating, it's bad for your body and do people want to do this forever, cause SW is the way I eat now, forever and WI is something I can see myself doing for the forseeable future, so I don't want to spend a miserable wednesday for the rest of my life!

Shrimpy said:
I DON'T do this. i eat a normal breakfast and a normal lunch and snack at snacktime. I just end up eating dinner 30mins later than on a normal night because I'm at weigh in.

I don't believe in not eating, it's bad for your body and do people want to do this forever, cause SW is the way I eat now, forever and WI is something I can see myself doing for the forseeable future, so I don't want to spend a miserable wednesday for the rest of my life!

Agree! I eat normally on weigh in day - i stop drinking about an hour before weigh in but thats it!

I weighed in last night. Went to harvester for lunch!!

I think we are all guilty of not eating much on weigh in day regardless if we have been good or bad....)QUOTE]

Nope. I eat, I have normal breakfast, normal lunch and normal tea and normal snackages. If I didn't have tea I wouldn't eat until 9.30/10!!!

I'll never understand people who starve themselves before WI - isn't it a little bit like cheating? :)

xx

I'm in the 'eating' brigade! I have a good breakfast, lunch as normal and drinks as normal - it's so depressing to be hungry all day, and it makes no sense to do it!

I guess I'm kind of inbetween with this! I do eat on weigh in day but do tend to make sure I eat lighter stuff. But then, there are other days when I end up having exactly the same, purely because it's what I feel like eating.

For example, today is weigh in day for me and so food for today has been as follows:

Breakfast - 1/2 punnet strawberries with fat free natual yogurt and a pear

Lunch - Huge mixed salad (mixed leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms and sweetcorn) with 2 large slices of cooked ham. Followed by a Muller Light and I also have 2 clementines/satsumas (can't remember which they are!) on my desk for mid afternoon snack if needed.

Dinner - as we only go to class and weigh in rather than staying for class, we have dinner when we get home.

I will carry on drinking my sparkling water at my desk until around 4ish and then only have sips if I am really thirsty.

So, I am not starving myself at all, but not having anything too heavy, such as jacket potatoes which I love but tend to bloat me a little.

I think we are all guilty of not eating much on weigh in day regardless if we have been good or bad....)QUOTE]

Nope. I eat, I have normal breakfast, normal lunch and normal tea and normal snackages. If I didn't have tea I wouldn't eat until 9.30/10!!!

I'll never understand people who starve themselves before WI - isn't it a little bit like cheating? :)

xx
Each to their own but at my class there are plenty who have not eaten much on weigh in day, and end up munching on crisps from ww after weigh in. im just speaking the truth and there are plenty who do it but might not admit to it. i dont have to do it but weigh in for me is on my way home from work......my class is at 5.45.:)

Back