What do you eat when you feel ravenous?

LisaC

Gold Member
And by that I mean after your evening meal when you may want a snack but feel like you're starving??

I know I should be full after my meal but sometimes after a couple of hours my stomachs growling & I feel starving (when I'm like that my body feels quite weak). I always go for water & some fruit but sometimes thats just not enough. Not sure what I choose eat/cook when its later at night & I'm really hungry.

I would suggest that you make a little more of your evening meal and then if you are still hungry then you can have some leftovers. If not, then you can freeze it or have it the next day for lunch.

That way you wont be having too many more syns - and in time i am sure your appetite will decrease and you wont need the extra portion.

x

Ham, cold Chicken, Hard Boiled Eggs, a mug shot, muller light, Save your hex b if you can and have a bowl of porridge, chew on a carrot.

All these things are easier said than done mind you :)

I'm veggie but follow EE, having the extra HEXA & B on Green doesn't suit me. Being veggie means I can't have a muller but I do have shape yogurts, it just doesn't seem enough to fill the BIG gap. Usually I make enough of a meal to be satisfied so if I'm peckish later on I'll eat fruit but recently I'm hungry enough to eat another meal!

Are you eating enough for dinner? I don't mean in terms of bulk, but I'm just wondering because I know that if I make my dinner too light (as in, I have a sauce for my pasta that's just veg, rather than veg with quorn or meat) then I can feel full directly after I've eaten but starving later.

If you're often finding yourself reaching for food a couple of hours after eating, it might be worth using that second hexb you're allowed for some cheese on your pasta (for example!) which should help you stop snacking later. Or you could add a little more quorn/beans etc to your meal which should help keep you fuller for longer :)

Are you eating enough for dinner? I don't mean in terms of bulk, but I'm just wondering because I know that if I make my dinner too light (as in, I have a sauce for my pasta that's just veg, rather than veg with quorn or meat) then I can feel full directly after I've eaten but starving later.

If you're often finding yourself reaching for food a couple of hours after eating, it might be worth using that second hexb you're allowed for some cheese on your pasta (for example!) which should help you stop snacking later. Or you could add a little more quorn/beans etc to your meal which should help keep you fuller for longer :)

I think so...I always make sure I have my 1/3 superfree & tend to use the rest as 1/3 carbs & 1/3 quorn so its balanced. I just wondered if maybe I need more carbs in my meal to keep me fuller for longer. Sometimes my dinners look huge & even then I'll be hungry later, stomach rumbling et all!

I wonder if some if it's psychological...because if you're eating a normal sized portion there's no way you should by tummy-rumbling hungry after a couple of hours. Could it be habit or mostly in your mind?! Sorry if that sounds patronising, I don't mean it to be!

Do you eat dinner really early?
You don't have to limit your superfree you know...you could have a huge plate full of veggies, salad and whatnot.

I think so...I always make sure I have my 1/3 superfree & tend to use the rest as 1/3 carbs & 1/3 quorn so its balanced. I just wondered if maybe I need more carbs in my meal to keep me fuller for longer. Sometimes my dinners look huge & even then I'll be hungry later, stomach rumbling et all!

could you make up some soup (like speed soup) and just reheat some of that of an evening if your hungry? I always make up speed soup and keep some in the freezer for 'just in case' moments.

I get this when I snack on fruit but I have PCOS and I am insulin resisitant.

What stops me from feeling ravenous is protein based stuff. A milky coffee from milk allowance, boiled egg, cold meat, crab sticks.

If I reach for fruit I just cant seem to stop and I am better with fruit with a meal but I do have a medical condition so may not apply to you.

some great ideas on here thanks. Im breastfeeding and my LO is going through a huge growth spurt atm so Im ravenous all the time. Ive had to start having supper before I go to bed to get me through the night. But I had never thought of making a big batch of soup for the fridge. I will do that thanks
I love the pea and ham soup from the new Soups book, yum! :)

I wonder if some if it's psychological...because if you're eating a normal sized portion there's no way you should by tummy-rumbling hungry after a couple of hours. Could it be habit or mostly in your mind?! Sorry if that sounds patronising, I don't mean it to be!

Do you eat dinner really early?
You don't have to limit your superfree you know...you could have a huge plate full of veggies, salad and whatnot.

Its not in my head ;) but it definitely is habit! I've always been someone who has something to eat in the evening which is why I tend to save some syns for later on. I have dinner around 6.30 so not early. Although I stick to the 1/3 superfree my plate is often 50% superfree. Could that be why I'm not full?

If you have PCOS then try a protein based snack for supper rather than carb. Carbs do funny things to us :D

I do extra easy but go a bit careful on the pasta rice etc and have goods losses (over 4 st since Aug). I dont lose on green and feel hungry all the time and loose stacks on red but hate it!

Its just a case of finding what works for you x

do you have wholewheat pasta? i find food that are wholewheat leave me fuller for longer.

Or how about having 2 weetabix for your evening snack (post meal)

x

I always try and save my HEB for a fibre plus in the eve if I need it (normally other half is munching his way through a tube of minieggs or something and I get the need for munchies) they're really filling AND major chocolatey. I also sometimes have an activia snack pot or a flump for 1.5 syns. I sound like a sweet addict.

I don't think you have enough protein in your evening meal, add some Quinoa, Lentils, Beans.

do you have wholewheat pasta? i find food that are wholewheat leave me fuller for longer.

Or how about having 2 weetabix for your evening snack (post meal)

x

I do but I find weeks when I have a pasta meal I won't lose, so try not to eat much pasta.

Back